• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Where is Tara from?

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Are there any clues to where Tara lived before she attended UC Sunnydale? Where do you think Tara came from?

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
Somewhere in Appalachia would be my guess?

T
thrasherpix
This occurred to me as well, especially as not only do many have a "Southern" attitude, but there's actually a native witchcraft tradition there, very secretive because of persecution. The accent kinda sounds like it which the show is terrible at

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
My mind always goes to Georgia, I don't know why, guess I just picture Tara as Southern without the heavy accent.

Joan the Vampire Slayer

Carpe Spuffy!
I'm guessing South. Only because of how badly her parents handled her coming out and practicing witchcraft. They must have been quite conservative and old-fashioned.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Well, she's going to a CA state school, so I assume California. Like, northern California. But frankly, I'd prefer to say "Lovecraft County" and the Hill People Lands and leave it at that. Tara doesn't really have a coherent backstory.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I'm guessing South. Only because of how badly her parents handled her coming out and practicing witchcraft. They must have been quite conservative and old-fashioned.
Her mother taught Tara before she died. I don't think the reaction of Tara's family is limited to the south.

We know that Tara's father "let" her go to UC Sunnydale in the hope that she would stop the witchcraft. Would he really let her travel to the other side of the country? He seems quite controlling so I don't think he would let her go too far. They were travelling by camper van rather than plane so they must be within a reasonable driving distance otherwise that would be a very long trip for 3 people to travel across the country and then travel back from California with an extra person.

Assuming that Tara's father did let her cross state lines, that could suggest he allowed her to be in the next state close by, in which case that might narrow things down to the states that neighbour California so : Arizona, Oregon or Nevada. Saying that, Utah or Idaho could also be candidates and Utah does have Mormons where the women seem subservient to the men which would actually tie into comments said by Tara and her family eg cousin Beth saying that Tara's dad and brother had to "do for themselves" without Tara there.

Is Tara from Utah?

thrasherpix

Scooby
And people like that do exist in California, both transplanted and native born (raised by those who moved there). I've been in and passed through rural regions in California that actually felt more like Texas to me. In fact, there are many Californians who want to break away, such as Jefferson (*)

(* When I was there, and most people are normal, they seemed to have an unusual amount of extremists who distrusted the Man on both the Left and the Right, but definitely a slant for conservatives outside the college towns. One person even painted a Confederate flag on his barn. And according to the wiki link I left there, Donald Trump would've won by a landslide in Jefferson were it separate from California.

And relevant to this thread, I met some religious fundies even crazier than what I was used to in in the rural East Texas Bible Belt, and heard of worse, including a cult that supposedly believed Proctor & Gamble was of the devil and were hiding from it. At the same time, this is where I met some Wiccans, some very feminist, at times to a scary degree, others more like hippies. One of those Wiccans endured death threats from one of the crazy fundies when he found out she was a Wiccan. If I wanted to write fanfic about it, I could easily fit her family in there, though their accent would have me portray them as transplants--but then that show is infamous for bad accents.)

Top Bottom