• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Which Characters Would You Trade for Those Who Kicked the Bucket?

tinybad

Townie
Aside from Tara, I've always considered both Anya & Spike to be 2 of my fav characters on the show, and so obviously I was really sad to see them go (I know Spike comes back on Angel, but this question presumes what if he didn't.)
To me it would definitely be Dawn, as she's probably the most annoying character of the bunch, she's extremely constantly whiny, gullible and has some of the most boring conversations on the show. While Anya, for example, although she might not have has the most interesting personality, she still delivered my personal fav quotes from Buffy, the fact that she says it as it is made a lot of the embarrassing things she'd say with a poker face funny.
Anyway, that's my take on it. How about you guys?

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Personally I'd swap Andrew for Jonathan (in S7) , and Spike for Wesley (Angel S5).

Just from a moral standpoint those two deserved to live more than who we actually got.

I'm happy that Anya died though, might've been nice to see Wood go the same way since his character arc seemed to go nowhere. He's also one of those pointless creations cluttering up the comic Buffyverse.

Fuffy Baith
Fuffy Baith
I agree!
AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
All in on your wesley idea especially

tinybad

Townie
Personally I'd swap Andrew for Jonathan (in S7) , and Spike for Wesley (Angel S5).

Just from a moral standpoint those two deserved to live more than who we actually got.

I'm happy that Anya died though, might've been nice to see Wood go the same way since his character arc seemed to go nowhere. He's also one of those pointless creations cluttering up the comic Buffyverse.

I agree with Wood. I'm only now starting to read the comics and I don't know what the hell does Faith (an interesting, complex character) sees in someone as mundane as Wood.

thetopher
thetopher
Keep wondering. :)

white avenger

white avenger
How about if Jenny Calendar had had a stake handy, and just when Angelus got within arm's reach... Dusty substitution. (Don't worry, Bangels. Of course, Buffy would have Willow work a resurrection spell and bring Angel back, all reensouled and brooding even more than ever, probably because he recalled being ripped out of Heaven. Angelus, however, would be gone forever.)

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
Aright some real picks, I tried to pick characters of equal value, not like you know, I'll exchange stand in #3 in Where the Wild Things Are for Spike in Chosen.

Oz for Jenny (don't kill me, but I would have preferred the original script, and I think Jenny had more to offer post s2. Not only regarding Giles, but also regarding her Gypsies background and the use of magic).

Anya for Tara (Anya had ran her course at that point, she didn't really add much to s7, aside from Selfless which was great...but which should also have been her last episode. Just have Selfless earlier on or something).

Andrew for Jonathan (Jonathan deserved to be a Scoobie after 7 years, Andrew did not).

As much as I want to save Fred and Wes, I also like their deaths too much to erase them. And only Amy Acker could play Illyria. Same with Darla, her death felt necessary for her character arc.

The Bronze
The Bronze
I won't kill you but I will glare and look suitably unimpressed
S
Spanky
Anya ran her course but Tara didnt? Tara was half way thru the second heat.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
Id definitely rather have Jonathan than Andrew. Id also swap someone else for Fred and Wesley. If Lindsey had lived i would have said him, but i guess Spike. And Eve, Harmony or Nina can go to save Fred (possibly Cordy too )

Samuel Reyes

Chilling in SunnyD
How about this...
Bring back Tara, kill Anya
Bring back Anya, kill Wood
(There, everyone's happy! And because Tara's still around, we never meet Kennedy! OK, now I'm happy!!! :D)

I found it hard to care for Wood getting stabbed in the last battle mere moments after witnessing Anya's death. Someone we've known for the last five years dies a tragic death and they follow that up with some guy we just met this season getting stabbed in the gut ("It's only a flesh wound!"). TBH I get the feeling Joss let him live because he likes Eliza and he wanted Faith to have a semi-happy ending.

Grrrr... I wanna say Oz for Jenny because she did have more to offer. She could've been a great mentor for Willow and potentially even Faith. On the other hand, her death was so well-done and made for such a great shocker...

Jonathan for Andrew. Andrew was OK but Jonathan had been on the show since the beginning, so it was only fair that he redeem himsel instead of Andrew, who we'd only just met last season and hadn't done nearly as much to earn his keep. One chance meeting with Willow is all it took for him to join the Scooby Gang; otherwise, he probably would've continued working for the First. Not only that, Buffy considers Andrew "family" at this point, while everyone remembers Jonathan as the guy from high school who made bad decisions and got himself killed, as opposed to the hero who was planning on helping them in the fight against evil before Andrew murdered him.

Connor for Cordelia (x infinity)...

I agree with @Blaze , it was sad to see Fred and Wes go, but their deaths were so well done, I'm not going to mess with it.

Last edited:

Riderofapocalypse

Potential
Keeping characters and deaths roughly within the same season and with some reasoning that I would be entertained:
Buffy
- Kill Dawn off in season 6 instead of Tara. The bullet hits Dawn instead. (Yes i know we lose 'dat ass' later on, but sacrifices must be made. Dawn would not die in vein.)
- Principle Wood dies instead of Anya in season 7. Cause f**k that guy
- Kill the entire army/order of 'Knights of Bazantium' (whatever that joke of a crusade was called) instead of Joyce in season 5. Giles needs some Summers p****. G-man's a stud, he don't hit it and quit it (kidding aside, i always thought they should have had more interaction/relationship.)

Angel (I'm much less adept to what transpired in which season)
- Give Groo a warrior's death and save Lilah. Or have him save Lilah but Angelus kills him in Season 4. (Wesley X Lilah FTW!)
- Have Lindsay kill Lorne before Lorne gets the chance to kill him in the last episode. (Yes i love Lorne to, but he's an afterthought by this point. Though i admit that one episode special on him in season 5 was good.)

Wesley, as much as i want him to live, must die. His story is just so well done that he still needs to die in the end. Havel lilah morning over him instead of Illyria. (Even though him using magic to go up against a sorcerer supreme was such a stupid idea, but whatever...where are those twin desert eagles now?...but whatever)

My list
Cheers

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
but why? gentle viewer

I hate Andrew! He's a murderer, he has no backbone, and he doesn't take any blame. And he's accepted into the Scoobies after what, 2 days? He murdered his best friend in cold blood, he deserves to die, Jonathan deserves to live.

@Mr. Pole Tara is actually at her best in s6 I find. I just found she had better interactions with the rest of the gang than Anya did. I get that she had to be collateral damage in order to further Willow's storyline, but screw that I still want her back.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Keeping characters and deaths roughly within the same season and with some reasoning that I would be entertained:
Buffy
- Kill Dawn off in season 6 instead of Tara. The bullet hits Dawn instead. (Yes i know we lose 'dat ass' later on, but sacrifices must be made. Dawn would not die in vein.)
- Principle Wood dies instead of Anya in season 7. Cause f**k that guy
- Kill the entire army/order of 'Knights of Bazantium' (whatever that joke of a crusade was called) instead of Joyce in season 5. Giles needs some Summers p****. G-man's a stud, he don't hit it and quit it (kidding aside, i always thought they should have had more interaction/relationship.)

Angel (I'm much less adept to what transpired in which season)
- Give Groo a warrior's death and save Lilah. Or have him save Lilah but Angelus kills him in Season 4. (Wesley X Lilah FTW!)
- Have Lindsay kill Lorne before Lorne gets the chance to kill him in the last episode. (Yes i love Lorne to, but he's an afterthought by this point. Though i admit that one episode special on him in season 5 was good.)

Wesley, as much as i want him to live, must die. His story is just so well done that he still needs to die in the end. Havel lilah morning over him instead of Illyria. (Even though him using magic to go up against a sorcerer supreme was such a stupid idea, but whatever...where are those twin desert eagles now?...but whatever)

My list
Cheers

See I don't know if I agree with either of those. I was sad to see Tara go, but it was such a powerful death and made perfect logic because of what they were about to do with Willow. Plus with Dawn only having been there a season and a bit I don't know if she was as well establish as Tara. And Joyce not being around post-season five was an important factor in Buffy's narrative. Wood was expendable I agree, don't hate him as much as some, but I think after awhile he out lived his use.

One other thing can you not be so crude, just tone some of the sexual remarks down please.

I hate Andrew! He's a murderer, he has no backbone, and he doesn't take any blame. And he's accepted into the Scoobies after what, 2 days? He murdered his best friend in cold blood, he deserves to die, Jonathan deserves to live.

@Mr. Pole Tara is actually at her best in s6 I find. I just found she had better interactio
ns with the rest of the gang than Anya did. I get that she had to be collateral damage in order to further Willow's storyline, but screw that I still want her back.

But do they know that he killed Jonathan? I can never remember, also its not as if Jonathan was a saint.

Am in complete agreement with you about Tara, actually think she is one of the best things about S6. By that point they had mostly run out of ideas for Anya.

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
But do they know that he killed Jonathan? I can never remember, also its not as if Jonathan was a saint.

Am in complete agreement with you about Tara, actually think she is one of the best things about S6. By that point they had mostly run out of ideas for Anya.

I think they do, he at the very least tells Buffy in Storyteller at the end, saying he killed his best friend. Jonathan was not a saint, but he felt more like he was misguided but in the end wanted to do the right thing. Andrew felt like a sociopath.

Completely agree with Tara, she really was one of the best thing of s6. Part of that is because she was not longer just "Willow's gf", she was her own person with her own place in the group. Something that never happened with Anya (or Oz, or Riley, or Angel, or Spike for that matter).

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya

Here here. Not only that- the whole doing nothing to make amends for the things he had done- (not just Jonathan btw, there's Katrina where he conspired to commit rape and murder, framing Buffy for that murder, attempting to drive Buffy insane with a demon, egging Warren on as he beat up on her, generally being a massive weasel while the Scoobies were trying to protect him from DW) - but also the constant screwing up in the comics.

S8 Re-creating a deadly demoonic species to catch rogue slayers that (of course) back-fires. Also being partly to blame for Simone- he was her Watcher after all, so he must take some of the blame.
S9 The Buffy-bot fiasco- violating Buffy's body for MONTHS as another ill-advised attempt to 'protect' her and make things better. Not only putting her life in more danger as a result but also traumatising her because she thought she was pregnant (pregnancy scares can be really upsetting and stressful).
s10- The whole return to Sunnydale arc- more ill-advised 'quick fix' solutions that cause more harm than good- and all so people will stop 'judging him'- he doesn't give a crap about Tara.

Seems to me that Andrew doesn't really care about consent when it comes to women. He's a selfish tool.

Blaze
Blaze
Did you really need to make me hate Andrew even more. Ugh, by far my most hated character in the verse!
crazysoulless
crazysoulless
[No message]

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
He's really not, in my opinion. To me, it felt like he was forced into that show and it was clear to me that they didn't really know what to do with him, which makes sense when you remember that they - the writers - didn't actually plan for him to be there. It was a requirement from the network for their renewal that Spike be brought in. In my opinion, Spike doesn't fit into AtS, not in the role he was playing in S5. Evil!Spike? Hell, yes, I could totally see that working, maybe eveb if he was brought back as the liaison, Eve's role or Hamilton's role, working for the Senior Partners.

To me, Spike didn't actually have much of a storyline in AtS S5. He was just sort of shoved into the backgrounds of everyone else's storyline, which, despite how much I don't like Spike, I think is unfair to both the character and the actor.

thetopher
thetopher
So say we all! :)

Samuel Reyes

Chilling in SunnyD
Kennedy and Rona for Amanda. I liked her.

Bring Groo back, kill him, keep Lilah, and have her join Angel Investigations as a reluctant ally for the rest of Season 4. That way she could have stayed on the show when they ended up working for Wolfram and Hart in Season 5.

Top Bottom