• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Which Cover Did You Choose?

W

WillowFromBuffy

Seeing that each issue of the new Buffy series will have a large selection of variant covers, I thought it would be interesting to see which cover each of us likes the best.

There were several great covers for the first issue, including two stunning Willow covers. I also really liked the one where Buffy walks past a school buss wearing a waist-tied flannel shirt and twirling a stake. However, I finally landed on Miguel Mercado's vampire cover. There was just something about the foreboding invitation and the Rocky Horror mouth that got to me. Both Mercado's slayer and vampire remind me of Willow, especially the shape of the lips and the red and dark hair, signifying good and evil permutations, receptively.

Angel6

Potential
I downloaded online (cos of saving the planet!) but I like this one best

2954B019-8552-40B4-9027-7CC184880442.png

And I really enjoyed the first issue. It was super fun. Some lovely little Easter Eggs in there. Only thing I found a bit off was Willow is so damn confident right from the start! She’s sassy!

W
WillowFromBuffy
It sure is great. Look at those hips :p But this version is cropped :(

TriBel

Scooby
Long story - I ordered the third variant for #1 - the one with the mobile phone on. I did this on the grounds that if I didn't like the story I could frame the damned comic and pass it of as a Mondo cover. Then I discovered the original cover was by a Mondo artist. I went to his website and ended up paying £55 for a signed Mondo print for Attack on Titan (birthday present for a son). It'll cost me the same to get to get it framed. Then I couldn't wait for the actual comic to be delivered so I also bought #1 on Kindle. So far, #1 has cost me just short of £117 - which is annoying because I'd vowed not to buy the Boom comics 'cos I was angry about S12.

Have you seen this?

Joss Whedon has Signed Secret Buffy The Vampire Slayer #1 Variant Covers, in Store Today

W

WillowFromBuffy

This issue, I am going for the main cover. I love the blood red circle that frames them. Drusilla looks so imposing and so formal, and I like her massive bow.

TriBel

Scooby
@WillowFromBuffy I didn't like that one (I'm fed up with pink and purple) so I ordered the graduation one (because of the 2018 reference). For #3, I ordered the main (Cordy and Spike); 2 variants (out of curiousity) and another one (but can't remember what that was). Oh and the TPB.

W

WillowFromBuffy

@TriBel There's not a hint of purple in that :p I don't know why, but I really love representation of the sun as a severe red circle set against a softer backdrop. (Lol. It just occurred to me that these are the same colours I gave Spike's balloon in my av).

And I am totally going for the Spike and Cordelia cover for the next Issue. It is really great!

Last edited by a moderator:

TriBel

Scooby
@WillowFromBuffy - the blood red looks pink on my machine!

I liked the idea blue/orange a) because I like the vibrancy and b) because they're complementary colours and I like the idea as a conceit: "Complementary colors are pairs of colors which, when combined or mixed, cancel each other out by producing a grayscale color like white or black. When placed next to each other, they create the strongest contrast for those two colors. Complementary colors may also be called "opposite colors"."

W

WillowFromBuffy

@WillowFromBuffy - the blood red looks pink on my machine!

I liked the idea blue/orange a) because I like the vibrancy and b) because they're complementary colours and I like the idea as a conceit: "Complementary colors are pairs of colors which, when combined or mixed, cancel each other out by producing a grayscale color like white or black. When placed next to each other, they create the strongest contrast for those two colors. Complementary colors may also be called "opposite colors"."
I think that paintings of plain red suns often include water, like the sea in the above picture or a modernist swimming pool setting or somesuch.

As for the painting of Drusilla and Buffy, I like how the Dru's sun (which is definitely red :p) makes the shadows on Buffy's desk pink. Red is an important colour for vamps and emerging slayers/women alike.

nightshade

Headless chicken
Staff member
Black Thorn
I managed to get issues 2,3 and 4 today, #2 I got in the vamp! Giles cover, #3 was cheerleader Cordelia and #4 was the Vamp! Xander one

Top Bottom