• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Which demonic/evil father/daughter duo do you prefer?

Which demonic/evil father/daughter duo do you prefer?

• Total voters

FaithLehane16

"Tact is not saying true stuff. I'll pass."
I preferred to see The Master/Darla for some reason. I even wish that we have seen more of them. I like how he knew of her health problems and found out the way to cure her problems. He added value to her. He gave her a life that was better than her human one. He obviously favored her over all of the other vampires...

I have noticed some parallels in all of these demonic/evil familial relationships. All of them are unique in their own way.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Definitely Faith and Mayor Wilkins; not only because we saw more of them than the other two, but because they showed how genuinely they both cared for one another, despite being evil(ish). Wilkins' rage after Faith disappears in Graduation Day is so great - how she is more important to him, at that moment, than the Ascension he's been preparing for, for a hundred years.

I honestly think that Faith would've been way more open to a reconciliation with Buffy when she woke from her coma if she hadn't learned that Buffy killed her mentor/father figure.

Faded90

Potential
The Mayor/Faith one is my favourite to watch and it’s very complex. There’s obviously the scenes it’s clear he cares about her but there’s also the underlying sinisterness of him using a deeply troubled girls pain for his own use. It’s very dark Buffy/Giles except whereas Giles is supporting Buffy to make HER better, The Mayor is using Faith to make things easier for HIM. Faith clearly enjoys the presents and affection but it’s also clear she’s still horribly unhappy (to coin a line used by Joyce) . He cares about her but not about her emotional well-being, certainly not enough to put it above his own needs

His present is a knife, then in the next breath tells her it’s to kill the people he wants

There’s that scene where he uses his usual jolly demeanour but the subtext is he basically tells her that if she fails he’ll have her killed

Basically prostituting her to try to have sex with Angel when it’s highly likely if it had worked and Angel had lost his soul that Angelus would have tried to kill her - we obviously know there’s no way Angelus would be even remotely interested in beingThe Mayor’s lackey

This Year’s Girl when he tells her (when she’s what 18 or 19?) that her life is basically over and he’s given her the body swap device simply to ‘go out with a bang’

It is a genuinely interesting storyline but I feel like it’s forgotten that HE is the biggest reason for suicidal Faith we see in 5x5

It’s funny though that his relationship with Faith is what continuously ends up helping Buffy 😂 Faith is tricked into revealing the plans of the ascension and its going to be on Graduation Day, she knows The Mayor wanted the professor dead because she knows Faith’s patterns and it leads to them finding out the demon he’s turning into and their shared dream leads her to using the students as her army

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
The Mayor/Faith.
I don't really think of the other two as being Father/Daughter.

FaithLehane16

The Mayor/Faith.
I don't really think of the other two as being Father/Daughter.
I do because of D'Hoffryn's treatment of Anya being different of treatment of an employee of his. The Master has looked up to Darla as his favorite and like a daughter. In the Darla episode of Angel S2, Darla showed Angelus to The Master like she was bringing home a boyfriend for daddy. The Master and Angelus were arguing like daughter's boyfriend and girlfriend's daddy.

The Master, and The Mayor reacted to Darla's death, and Faith's comatose state like a hysterical father in distress. Their reactions were very similar.

When Darla's relationship with Angel(us) and Anya(nka)'s relationship with Xander blew up in smoke, both Darla and Anyanka turned back to their demon fathers for support.

The Master and D'Hoffryn both tolerated Angelus and Xander so they would still have a relationship for their "daughters".

The Master became critical of Angelus when Angelus criticized Darla's precious Master a bit. I bet there were times when Darla felt torn between her dad and boyfriend. D'Hoffryn showed disdain over the fact that his precious Anyanka allowed herself to be domesticated by Xander. Xander must of had a difficult time tolerating Anya still wanting to be connected to D'Hoffryn throughout their relationship.

Athene
Athene
Yeah I think there's a deeper connection between the master and darla but I don't believe either the master or D'Hoffryn loved Darla or Anya

Taake

That's right, I'm watching you...
Staff member
Black Thorn
The Mayor/Faith, though I would have loved to see more of The Master/Darla. They had an interesting dynamic.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Schoolgirl Vampire died long before she became Darla, so while I liked the relationship, I can’t compare it to ones built up over years, since she only had like three episodes.

Faith and the Mayor was better than Mayor and Trick, He clearly took a paternal interest in her, making it a funhouse mirror version of Giles and Buffy. I know I’m supposed to say something like, “Something, something, paternalism, something, something patriarchy,” but, as the series doesn’t really have any straight Father/Daughter Relationships or any Father/Son ones for that matter, eh? Evil basically works best when it is a parody of the good, and not a straight out inversion.

Aside from being moderately amusing (Demon with a business card?) Hoff was at his best in his final appearance, when he reminds us that he is a Archdemon who keeps himself from being eaten by providing a mortality play for the Lowerarchy, and if you will not provide the show, you will be the show. He’s not her father, not even a parody of it, and any filial piety he exudes is just manipulating her.

FaithLehane16

@Athene The Master did love Darla since he through a fit over her dying, just like the way The Mayor did over Faith being comatose. I think D'Hoffryn loved Anya in a way, but not as deep as The Master/Darla.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Which is the truest/strongest father/daughter relationship:

3. Anyanka/D'Hoffryn: I think Anya was one of his favorites, so much so that he was there at her wedding and also offered her her old job back. But after that second chance was spurned (in his eyes) then he went for the pain instead of the kill. What happened in BtVS S10 with D'Hoffryn using a puppet ghost-Anya for his own ends showed how little regard for her he had at the end.
2. The Master/Darla: I think this fits many sire/child relationships that aren't romantic in nature. Darla was clearly one of The Master's favorites until she chose Angelus over him. When she returned post-gypsy curse she'd obviously fallen far in his estimations, Luke was now The Master's favored. Yet he was distraught when she was slain so he still had deep (albiet vampire) affection for her.
1. The Mayor/Faith: The one to beat I think. There was a developing closeness there from the start as Faith found somebody who she could depend on (but at the same time she sacrificed her independence and personal responsibility/moral compass). And he seemed to genuinely cared for her long after his death. Wilkins as the First was one of the best 'First' appearances in S7 precisely because it was clear that Faith still had to deal with her feelings for her jovial, evil father-figure.

sweetiepie

Townie
I preferred to see The Master/Darla for some reason. I even wish that we have seen more of them. I like how he knew of her health problems and found out the way to cure her problems. He added value to her. He gave her a life that was better than her human one. He obviously favored her over all of the other vampires...

I have noticed some parallels in all of these demonic/evil familial relationships. All of them are unique in their own way.

Obviously Faith and The Mayor have the best dyamic od daughter/father relationship.

Top Bottom