• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Which Gunn did you prefer?

Which Gunn did you prefer?

• The early years, pre W&H

Votes: 25 61.0%
  • The later years, during W&H

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • other

Votes: 5 12.2%

• Total voters

Nix

🤪
Sineya
Which Gunn did you prefer? For me it was Gunn in W&H.

HisMrs

Scooby
Sineya
Hmmm, tough call for me! I ended up voting for Gunn, pre-W&H. I don't know there's just something about his roughness, and his street smarts that I loved and thought was such a grounding attribute for Angel. It reminded him that there were still good people in the world who faught evil just because they thought it was the right thing to do; not because they were attoning for something, or they felt like they had to.

kittenpoker

Raising penguins in Guam
Sineya
Both!! (Sorry, but I can't choose)

I adore Gunn and some of my most favorite Gunn moments happen both before and after W&H for example:

Pre W&H
- him instinctively stepping in front of lorne when geo points a gun at him (in "that old gang of mine")
- him juggling those ball things in that guys office - blanking on the ep name
- him realizing what is happening and telling fred to knock him out in "billy"
- pretty much every moment of "players"
- his line about them trying to stop darla from getting away by hitting her fists and feet with their faces
- the way he loves the ballet "this is tight!" :)

Post W&H
-when he refuses marcus's offer to leave that hell basement and says to the demon "well, go on, this heart isn't gonna cut itself out"
-when angel asks gunn if lorne told him to pee all over the place in "life of the party" and he's like "lord, I hope so." :)

SlayerFest
SlayerFest
Hahah I love you for remembering all of that
I liked Gunn in Angel S2 when he was balancing his life between his own crew and Angel Inc.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Anytime that he didn't have his sad little beard is fine with me.

He did look dashing in a tux though, so I vote S4 'Players' for the best Gunn ever!!

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn
Pre W&H. S2 was the best Gunn.

AnthonyCordova

Earth Invasion Taskforce Unlimited
Sineya
I never really cared much for Gunn. To me, he is the "dropable" guy from the show. That said, I liked the moral conflict of his W&H years over the ones having to do with his old gang and such from the early years. His moral/character conflict in the last season was more interesting to me. And giving him legal smarts added much needed dimensions to his character. So I vote that.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
The most interesting question you could ask of a character is, "What would you do if you had the resources to do anything you want?" W&H Gunn is the answer to this question. Before that, his trajectory was predictable - fight vampires until joining AI then continue fighting. But afterwards, we get to see what he would really do.

But I agree with @AnthonyCordova - he is a secondary character, equal and interchangeable with pretty much any other minor character.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I'd say Gunn between S2 and S3. He started out as a bit of street guy cliche. But I do like his mix of humour, smarts and strength after that. I did like the relationship with Fred too. I think he was sweet to her, well apart from that episode:eek:

white avenger

white avenger
Actually, I kinda liked him in the "After The Fall" arc when he was an evil vampire (Gunnus?) killing those Slayers over and over while thinking that he wasn't actually evil. Undoubtedly the most unique vampire in the Whedonverse.

E

EffyStonem

I know people don't mean anything by it, but the only POC in the main cast being referred to as the "dropable" one is somewhat ... unsettling. Nehoo, now that I've said that ...

I honestly don't understand why Gunn is so overlooked/dismissed by the fandom, because he's honestly such a great character. For me, there isn't really a distinction between pre-W&H and post-W&H Gunn, they're the same character, it's just that post-W&H Gunn has been given the education and pedigree which his upbringing and lack of privilege previously denied him. But it's still Gunn. The strategy and the quick-thinking and the ability to adapt are all still there. He's just slightly more polished round the edges.

Honestly, Gunn is one of my absolute favourite characters ever, and I really hate the way he's treated and viewed, both within the fandom and in the narrative of AtS. He deserves a lot better.

Spanish Flame
Spanish Flame
I agree. He should be treated better.

Taake

Keeper of the Continuum Transfunctioner
Staff member
Black Thorn
I picked 'other' because I love both versions of Gunn. He's one of my favorite Angel characters, sometimes his character progress is a bit understated but I would argue that he has almost as good of an arc as Wesley does. I really liked him pre-W&H and what he brought to the team, but I still adore him post-W&H because he's still Gunn just in a new packaging. He needed that change or he would have essentially become Connor, stuck in a rut.

Besides, without during-W&H we would never have gotten this

One of my favorite Gunn moments :D

Spanish Flame
Spanish Flame
Awesome singing. Shame didnt et to see him lol

LeeJones41

Potential
Why do fans and the show's characters tend to regard Charles by his surname, instead of his first name? No one called Wesley, Cordelia or Fred by their surnames.

I thought he was a very good character. Charles struck me as the type that many tend to overlook or take for granted, due to his personal background. This reminds me of the type when Fred had regarded him as "the muscle" back in early Season 3. Then I recall the Season 4 episode, "Players" in which Gwen Raiden was the only one who didn't regard him as someone less than intelligent. In fact, many fans were only willing to accept that he possessed "street smarts". They never considered the possibility that Charles was a lot more intelligent. Worse, Charles had internalized his friends' opinions of him by the end of Season 4, despite Gwen's own opinion.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Why do fans and the show's characters tend to regard Charles by his surname, instead of his first name? No one called Wesley, Cordelia or Fred by their surnames.

I thought he was a very good character. Charles struck me as the type that many tend to overlook or take for granted, due to his personal background. This reminds me of the type when Fred had regarded him as "the muscle" back in early Season 3. Then I recall the Season 4 episode, "Players" in which Gwen Raiden was the only one who didn't regard him as someone less than intelligent. In fact, many fans were only willing to accept that he possessed "street smarts". They never considered the possibility that Charles was a lot more intelligent. Worse, Charles had internalized his friends' opinions of him by the end of Season 4, despite Gwen's own opinion.
Think its just a street thing which sticks with Gunn even after he becomes a full-time member of the team. From time to time people do call him Charles though. I can remember Fred often doing it.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I think it's just one of those things where people get known by their surnames and they even use their surnames themselves when introducing themselves.

sosa lola

Scooby
Gunn is my favorite AtS character and I like every version of him, though I picked the pre-WH Gunn.

BaskingINBangel

I'm a little bit bison
I love Gunn throughout the show, but I think I prefer him more in the later years. He gets more character development, so we get to learn more about him, whereas in the early seasons he is kind of just "the muscle."

Top Bottom