• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Which Harmony do you Prefer?

Which Harmony?

• Human

• Vampire in Buffy seasons 4-5

• Vampire in Angel season 5

• Comics

• Never like her

• Always like her

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
Personally I think Harmony is a really underrated character, and I enjoy basically all of her storylines. I don't think she was overused or changed for the worse. But I've found she is a very controversial character so I wanted to hear thoughts on her different purposes she serves on each show and which of them, if any, you prefer.

Carrie Hopewell

Little girl lost in the woods
Sineya
Well, human Harmony was just mean and immature. Vampire Harmony was the same, but she was a bit more fleshed out as a character. Her relationship with Spike was relatable in an unfortunate way. I guess even her desire to still be a human despite being a vampire can be relatable. I mean, we often pretend to be something we no longer are.

I do find her annoying in season 5 of Buffy though. She's kind of funny in season 4 (especially her slap fight) but in season 5 she can get kind of irritating. I also don't like her appearance on Angel season 2. My favorite Harmony is Angel season 5 Harmony. She can be endearing as Angel's assistance or Fred's friend. She's quite likable after Fred's death and everything. I also like that reveal in Not Fade Away. She wasn't totally whitewashed in season 5, she was still a soulless vampire in the end.

However, indifference is mostly my reaction to the character - positive indifference though.

As for the comics, I didn't read all of it, but I didn't really like her role there or how she hooked up with Spike.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I voted for S5 of Angel, partly because I haven't read all of the comics yet, and what I have read so far, does not endear me too much to that Harm. I really didn't mind her in Buffy, vampire or not, but I tend to favor her as Angel's assistant. Don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I really like the Harm-centered episode (forgotten the name right now, Harm's Way?) and her last scene, with her betraying Angel, is just adorable and hilarious :)

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn
Definitely Angel S5 Harmony. I think she's so underrated, especially as a comedic character but I hate how she's treated in Buffy to be honest. I love Spike, but he was a douche to Harmony and she didn't deserve that level of vitriol and humiliation just because he was fantasising about Buffy.

I was actually really glad she stuck up to him and told him to do one! You go girl! :D

TriBel

Scooby
Definitely Angel S5 Harmony. I think she's so underrated, especially as a comedic character but I hate how she's treated in Buffy to be honest. I love Spike, but he was a douche to Harmony and she didn't deserve that level of vitriol and humiliation just because he was fantasising about Buffy.

I was actually really glad she stuck up to him and told him to do one! You go girl! :D
Nice! I also like Spike but I've never disliked him as much as I did in Angel S5 when he "celebrates" his corporeality. I almost wish the "staking" had been literal and the other way round! Douchbag indeed.:mad: He and Angel were such prats towards her. I'm going get a badge made for her: "Male Vampires are stupid. Throw rocks at them".

TriBel

Scooby
I don't "like" Harmony in any of her manifestations (I prefer her as a vampire than as a human) but I'm not sure we're meant to "like" her. I love her comedic value and I admire her tenacity. I've been thinking about her.

a) She's far less "angsty" than Buffy about sex and her own sexuality.
b) Materially, she's achieved far more that many of the other characters - definitely more than the Scoobies.
c) She's not precious about a bloody soul in the way Spike and Angel are. I loved the following - and I think it tells us far more about what the soul is than any prattling from Wes et.al. Angel: You betrayed me. You are betraying me now, even as we are talking. Harmony: Because you never have any confidence in me. Angel: No, because you have no soul. Harmony: I would if you had confidence in me.
d) Angel, Buffy, Giles etc. are usually positioned as strategic thinkers but I think, on the side, she's up there with them.
e) She's the one who's worked towards resolving some of the differences between humans and vampires - and on a much larger scale than "Oh..woe is me...my boyfriend/girlfriend is a vampire/human".
f) Because of her status in the media she probably has far more power than all the others combined. The media is the 4th estate.
g) I think she's adapted far more quickly than the others without there being a massive difference between her human/vampire self. Seems to me this could be evolutionary - Angel/Angelus - Spike - slippage between the two. Harmony - er...harmonised her two selves? Perhaps the text is suggesting women adapt better than men?
h) Yes - she can be manipulative and cynical but at least she's honest about it and doesn't dress it up. Does she actually "harm" people?

Okay - changed my mind - I LIKE Harmony. All I need know are some head-tilts (doesn't she DO head-tilts?).

Finally - I don't think we've seen the end of her. You can't hook "Harmony" up with "Clemency" and it not mean anything - can you?

flow

Scooby
I love Harmony in all the way. Human, Vampire on BtS and Vampire on AtS. I especially loved the way she vamped out to give her fangs a proper and thorough brushing.

"Male Vampires are stupid. Throw rocks at them".
Can I use this as my new custom title, please ?

I think she's adapted far more quickly than the others without there being a massive difference between her human/vampire self
Let`s not forget, that she loved Spike deeply and unwavering. She never gets any sympathy for suffering from unrequited love.

flow

TriBel

Scooby
@flow - Feel free! TBH, I think the original Badge or Slogan was "Boys are Stupid. Throw Rocks at Them". I thought that was a bit contentious for here. I keep several on hand for when the lads visit. I'll pick one up for you if you like.:)

Let`s not forget, that she loved Spike deeply and unwavering. She never gets any sympathy for suffering from unrequited love.
Actually - I've been wondering about the head-tilts. I'm not sure whether Spike saw something of himself in her and that's why he was so nasty? I loved
this.
Harmony: Is Antonio Banderas a vampire?
Spike: No.
Harmony: Oh. Can I make him a vampire?
Spike: No. Wait, on second thought, yeah, go do that. Take your time. Do Melanie and the kids as well.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Not read the comics.

The switch to Vampire opened up new possibilities for the character. She was more entertaining and oddly more human;) I loved her and Spike as a couple and some of the interactions with the Scoobies was great. The character was fine in Angel S5 but they never quite fitted her into the plot well smoothly enough without her either being a a destraction or too invisible. I voted Buffy S4-5.

Puppet
Puppet
Oddly enough, she became more sympathetic when she died :D

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
I always liked Harmony! She is kinda put in the same category of hatred as Andrew, though I get why. I think the character is elevated by Mercedes McNab's comedy. I've seen her in interviews and in reality she comes across more laconic and a bit more like Oz, than Harmony.

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
I personally loved Harmony through the series. Buffy S1 - S3 she was a funny high school stereotype popular girl and I didn't take her too seriously. When she turned into a vampire she was so funny and hilarious. Buffy S4 and S5 she had so many funny moments and Angel S2 she killed it in "Disharmony".
Mercedes Mcnab was a great actress and she made her character so great in Angel S5.
Angel S5 she took her character to another level and "Harm's Way" was her best episode in the series imo.
She's a great character and beyond underrated.

Priceless

Scooby
I love all Harmony. I feel sorry for her a lot of the time, as others treat her with such disdain. She is a betrayer, but hey, soulless vampire. She is great comic relief and I liked her a lot in Angel S5 when she refused to settle for people just tolerating her, she wanted acceptance and believed she deserved their admiration.

caitaintdead

caiters gonna cait
Black Thorn
I think Harmony fulfills an important comic relief role in Angel Season 5 and that Mercedes plays it exactly how it need be.

@Puppet I really enjoy Harm's Way too! I have read so much hate for it on here but I think it's great fun.

I have never read the comics - can someone tell me what her basic storyline is in the comics?

Priceless

Scooby
I have never read the comics - can someone tell me what her basic storyline is in the comics?
Harmony is fantastic in the comics. Over the last 4 seasons she's become a kind of vampire Kardashian. She got her own reality tv show which made her famous. From that, she became a defacto leader of the old-style vampire (there are new-style vamps now, led by Vicky). Harmony is exactly the same girl she's always been, maybe even more so, now she's famous :D Oh and she's in a kindof relatinship with Clem, who's madly in love with her

caitaintdead
caitaintdead
Thanks!

burrunjor

Potential
I always liked her. She was hysterical.

"Then we can go to France and I always wanted to go to France" followed by a staking.

I also liked how Wesley tried to stake her too not because she was evil, but just annoying.

"What are you doing this book is 12 centuries old!"

"So it's not like I destroyed the new one?"

Also whilst he was a dick some of Spike's lines to Harm were quite funny.

"Harm if your incessant prattling bollocks up this operation I will personally yank out your pink and squiggly tongue."

That was some mouthful James had to say there and in not his real accent too. It must have taken him a few takes at least. :)

I do find it hilarious the way that Spike and Harmony then go on to kick Buffy and Riley's ass.

Overall I think the character demonstrated what was dangerous about Vampires above other Demons ironically despite her being a moron. Moron or not, Harmony was a blood thirsty killer that slaughtered scores of innocent people, and ruined others lives. In spite of this she always was let off the hook by the likes of Angel, Cordelia, and Buffy because they either felt sorry for her being such a moron, didn't take her seriously, or still saw her as the girl she was in life, or had even gotten to know and like her Vampire self like Gunn in S5 when he has a heartfelt confession to her.

Can you imagine, Charles Gunn of all people sharing his deepest feelings of shame with a Vampire? A souless Vampire! This is the edge that Vamps have over other Demons and why they are seen as the main threat by the Watchers and others. Think of how many, smarter Vamps than Harmony have exploited their human connections to get ahead.

Top Bottom