• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Which one of these actors would you most want to play The Doctor?

Choose an actor to play The Doctor

• Olly Alexander

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • T'Nia Miller

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lydia West

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 90.0%

• Total voters

Bop

Scooby
Sineya
So with it being confirmed that Russel T Davies will be the new showrunner and responsible for choosing the 14th Doctor people have been speculating who he will pick. All of the options I've included are actors who have worked with Davies on other shows. I rate them all as good actors from what I've seen them in but my choice would be

1. T'Nia Miller
2. Olly Alexander
3. Lydia West

Interesting to note that Russel once said he would cast Olly Alexander as the doctor if he had the choice- and he does have the choice now so it's a good possibility.

I'm sure I've missed loads of potential candidates so I've made an 'other' option.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Bleat at me no longer, we are done.
Black Thorn
Though I've always believed the Doctor should be British, I now think that Timothee Chalamet would be an EXCELLENT choice.

But I'd put Tilda Swinton at the top of the list because she's simply amazing.

NileQT87

Billowy Coat, King of Pain
Tom Ellis
Aneurin Barnard
Michael Sheen

Cymru am byth.

Ellis and Sheen have actually been in DW, while Barnard briefly appeared in a Big Finish audio.

Mr. Pointy

A sharp stick - it's true
Watcher
Black Thorn
Tom Ellis
Aneurin Barnard
Michael Sheen

Cymru am byth.

Ellis and Sheen have actually been in DW, while Barnard briefly appeared in a Big Finish audio.
Ooh! Definitely Sheen...and then David Tennant could return in a multi-Doctor ep to re-ignite their Good Omens double act 😉

Mr Trick

Scooby
Not sure about the other two. I could see Alexander. I do wonder if he's a bit young. I put other too.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Black Thorn
Ooh! Definitely Sheen...and then David Tennant could return in a multi-Doctor ep to re-ignite their Good Omens double act 😉

That would definitely bring back Doctor Who from the land of SUCK. And as much as I don't want to insult Jodie...yeah, I'm totally lying. She's the worst thing to ever happen to the show.

The first time Michael got my attention was in Underworld. He was BRILLIANT.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
I think the writing was probably more to do with it than Whitaker. The abuse she has gotten from the internet is frankly disgraceful.

Cohen

Hellhound
I agree with Mr Trick that it’s more the writing than her playing the Doctor that has been the issue. The episodes have been hit or miss due to the writing. Also having 3 companions doesn’t help.

Last Watcher

Tweed Icon
Sineya
The writing has been awful for the last two Doctors imho....

I know they are big stars these days & way too busy, but I think either Benedict Cumberbatch or Tom Hiddleston would make damn fine Doctors......

Then maybe Tony Head if he wants another more mature Doctor?

Or even Tom Holland if he wants to go the 'Doctor Who nextgen' route?

(Of course if he wants another aged Brit to play the role I'm only a phonecall away ;) )

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Black Thorn
The writing started to go downhill in the latter half of series 7. The last REALLY GOOD episode was The Angels Take Manhattan. After that, everything just slowly fell apart. Even Matt Smith lost his charm...and Peter Capaldi just didn't have a chance. As DeadlyDuo would've said, being forcefed Clara became very tedious. And dull. And annoying.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Both Whitaker and the writers were the problem. The stories are not so much 'hit-and-miss as 'always way off the mark except for a couple of flukes'.

Before taking the job Whitaker did no research about the character and was generally dismissive of the show and its fans. And in turn Chibs gave her no directions as to how to play 'what was on the page'; you can see how it all goes wrong from their joint interview; talking at cross-purposes which led to all that flat characterization.
And that flat characterization includes the companions. It's not that there are too many of them, its just that they don't behave like actual consistent characters. They're there to simply take up space, ask The Doctor questions so she can exposit for the audience and tick the diversity box.

As for who should be up next; how about Martin Freeman, Chris Barrie, Tony Head or Don Warrington. Somebody older, kinder, wiser and steadier as a regenerative-reaction to Whitaker's blithering idiocy, childishness, lack of empathy and moral vacuum.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
I went for others having thought of Colin Morgan (he who was Merlin)

Mr Trick

Scooby
Both Whitaker and the writers were the problem. The stories are not so much 'hit-and-miss as 'always way off the mark except for a couple of flukes'.

Before taking the job Whitaker did no research about the character and was generally dismissive of the show and its fans. And in turn Chibs gave her no directions as to how to play 'what was on the page'; you can see how it all goes wrong from their joint interview; talking at cross-purposes which led to all that flat characterization.
And that flat characterization includes the companions. It's not that there are too many of them, its just that they don't behave like actual consistent characters. They're there to simply take up space, ask The Doctor questions so she can exposit for the audience and tick the diversity box.

As for who should be up next; how about Martin Freeman, Chris Barrie, Tony Head or Don Warrington. Somebody older, kinder, wiser and steadier as a regenerative-reaction to Whitaker's blithering idiocy, childishness, lack of empathy and moral vacuum.

See I get what you mean about Whitaker not doing the research. But to play devils advocate there's an argument that its a good way to approach things. Because a new Doctor has to deliver something different and fresh. Sometimes if you research the role too much you have that baggage and pressure going in. I'm not really sure what good research would have done anyway. Its a bit like saying she should research how to play Doctor Who like Jon Pertwee did in 1970. She has to play it like a new Doctor of the 2010s/20s. Maybe she was just wrong for the role in which case no amount of research would have changed that. My guess is its mostly down to the writing.

Again I have to pick you up on this "their just ticking a box" thing. How is casting a female in a lead role in 2017 ticking a box? If Doctor Who is going to stay relevent and move with the times then they have to add more diversity. Surely your not saying they should just cast middle class, old white dudes forever. If Whitaker was the wrong choice that's down to casting. It doesn't mean that a female can't or shouldn't play Doctor Who.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Black Thorn
Jodie obviously DID "research" Eleven's Doctor, because she seemed to mimic him quite a bit...at least during the short time I watched her episodes.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Black Thorn
And somewhere there is me that is only on season 10 of Doctor Who. It’s still carpaldi, no Jodie yet

At least Capaldi made an effort in his portrayal of the Doctor. He really, really tried.

Plus, he was Malcolm Tucker...which makes him a God in my eyes. 😁

Antho
Antho
I think he is quite good

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Black Thorn
I think he is quite good

He is! He's a lifelong Doctor Who fan, a wonderful actor, and has lots of charm. Plus, he loves his wife so much that he NEVER takes off his wedding ring... even when he's acting. ❤️

The Caretaker was one of his really great Doctor episodes. 😅

Reactions: Bop
Top Bottom