• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Which two episodes would have to be your favorite for BTVS Season 1?

Your top two favorite episodes?

• Total voters

FaithLehane16

"Tact is not saying true stuff. I'll pass."
Mines would have to be Nightmares and Prophecy Girl. Prophecy Girl for obvious reasons. Nightmares because of it's difference and it's the funniest of them all. All except for Buffy's nightmare involving her dad being a jerk, and her other one about dying alive by the hands of The Master.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
  • Witch - Another underrated gem. It's such a perfect example of this season, of the campiness, the clever language, it has a great plot twist, and is just funny.
  • The Puppet Show - I will never apologize for this being my favorite of the season, it's basically perfect :)
I recently did a poll on Reddit and, funnily enough, Witch won by a landslide for the first six episodes. I didn't see that coming, honestly.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
The Pack and The Puppet Show were the most intelligently written and they are ones I would rewatch any time.

Puppet
Puppet
It's amazing how I can completely agree and disagree with you at the same time :D
Prophecy Girl largely for that Buffy/Giles/Angel scene in the library.
Witch because it's the first cold open I loved and the twist and the ending

VERY closely behind (because I was in many minds) The Puppet Show and Nightmares
Guilty secret - IRYJ, but ONLY the Giles+Jenny bits lol

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya
Probably Prophecy Girl and The Harvest - and this is going by my poor memory. I remember though that watching the first two episodes of Buffy made me excited for what's to come (in spite of having known of season 1's reputation beforehand), and I felt like both "Welcome to the Hellmouth" and "The Harvest" set up that introduction to the Buffyverse nicely.

Prophesy Girl for obvious reasons. 🤣

FaithLehane16
FaithLehane16
I loved the introduction of The Master. I wish that we've seen more of him.

whatdBuffyDo

Potential
Sineya
Prophecy Girls is more like the second season and less like the first season. I want to omit it while answering this. (Because, otherwise, I would have to choose it and it wouldn't be fair to other episodes 😇)
Nightmares is the first Buffy episode where we see an altered reality. I like how the episode feels.
Witch and The Puppet Show are both fun to watch. I guess, "Macho Man" is the tiebreaker. 😄

Witch and Nightmares, it is, then.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
I picked Angel and Prophecy Girl. I think they are the two episodes of season one that feel the most like a Buffy episode and really set up what the show will become. I honestly enjoy season 1, but I wouldn't say the episodes are top tier Buffy except for these two. Not surprised no body picked I Robot, You Jane. lol

Punkie

Townie
The Puppet Show is wonderful and I’ve never understood why people dump on it. It is wonderful and has the funniest ending I’ve ever seen on any show.

Out of Mind, Out of Sight is a gem. That bathroom scene is one you don’t soon forget. Beautifully done. That actress knocked it out of the park and about broke my heart. Cool ending, too. Big smile! :)

Miss Muffet

"Can I trade in the children for more cash?"
Angel and Prophecy Girl, though I love almost all the episodes in S1.

Welcome to the Hellmouth/The Harvest were great episodes to begin the show.
Witch is under-rated.
Teacher's Pet has more good/great scenes than bad.
Never Kill a Boy on a First Date is all in all a pretty great episode.
The Pack has some great moments.
Angel is a great episode, and we finally get to learn about Angel. Plus, Darla actually gets to do something.
I Robot, You Jane was always just meh to me. Meeting Jenny was great, though.
The Puppet Show is awesome. I can't believe people don't like it.
Nightmare has some great character moments.
Out of Mind, Out of Sight is when we finally get some development for Cordy.
Prophecy Girl is just amazing.

Nearwild

Townie
I first watched Buffy S1-3 20 odd years ago, and The Pack is the one which I remembered the clearest- probably because I like hyenas. But Prophesy Girl is just a great romp, and I love Nighmares too.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
The Puppet Show: I'll never understand the hate, never. It's wonderfully funny, the Scoobies really gel, the mystery is decent, Snyder, and yes, I unironically like Sid, I think his backstory is fascinating. Buffy meets her first fellow demon-fighter. Plus is death is decent thematic foreshadowing for...

Prophecy Girl: Gets better every time I watch it. It's a very satisfying season finale with a real sense of stakes and danger; all the acting is stepped up a notch (especially SMG) and we really feel what she feels. Throw in some nice character moments, much heroism and tricksy destiny shenanigans...top tier stuff I would put up against most later season eps.

Ninjagirl2008

Townie
Welcome to the Hellmouth: It's not perfect, but it does a great job setting the tone for the show, introducing characters, and explaining what the heck this weird world is all about.

Prophecy Girl: This episode is so well done. The show is really coming into its own. The actors have a handle on their characters. While there is still humor, this episode gets dark and scary. When Willow and Jenny walk out of the school only to be surrounded by vampires, that's terrifying. Buffy's fear of death is heartbreaking. This episode holds up 20 years later!

If I could pick a third (I know, I'm cheating), it would be The Witch. I love how it introduces a new kind of supernatural threat, and I always love a good body swap.

KaitKat

Potential
The Puppet Show: I'll never understand the hate, never. It's wonderfully funny, the Scoobies really gel, the mystery is decent, Snyder, and yes, I unironically like Sid, I think his backstory is fascinating. Buffy meets her first fellow demon-fighter. Plus is death is decent thematic foreshadowing for...

What? People hate this episode. It’s great!

Top Bottom