1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Whiny little Cry-Buffy

Discussion in 'Season 1' started by dcai0830, Aug 7, 2017.

1. dcai0830

dcai0830 You spent three weeks moaning in a basement!

Black Thorn
    “I’m not a sniveling whiny little Cry-Buffy. I’m the nastiest girl in Sunnydale history. - I take crap from no one.” - Cordelia

Does this line piss anyone else off when they hear it? I'm on an Angel re-watch right now and usually I skip over a few of these Season 1 earlier episodes but I had forgotten about this line.

I know Cordy is a fan favorite and she is a very entertaining character but I hate the crap she talks about/way she treats Buffy. Buffy saved Cordy how many times now? And even newer and improved Cordy shows no gratitude.

Your thoughts on these and other Cordy digs on Buffy?

2. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

I love Cordy but I, too, hate that line!!

You can have a moment of empowerment without dissing someone else. So while this is a very good moment for Cordelia, it's only semi-enjoyable to me.

3. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

Cordy is sympathetic to Buffy a lot. She scolds Angel for stalking Buffy without letting Buffy know in I Will Remember You. Cordelia has shown surprising heroism more than once even in Buffy (one time smashing her car as she drove some straight to the school library), and even saved Buffy once by pretending to be Faith. Cordelia was, for her understandable meanness, surprisingly kind after her fall out with Xander (like letting Willow out the cage after a mere lecture on "boyfriend stealing" which is more than most girls who brag about being a bitch would do), and that includes her dropping her vapid act when she sees Buffy crying in the library and agrees to drive Buffy home with what sounds like true concern in her voice.

Going back to when Cordelia bluffed Gorch about herself being Faith, that episode showed Cordelia not understanding why Buffy wasn't happy with what she had. To Cordelia, Buffy was already a super hero, what more could Buffy want? Why did Buffy have to try to get more, such as trying to steal Cordelia's spot in the spotlight? Naturally, Buffy sees the burdens (including death sentence) of her Slayer trait than the superpowers that come with it. Until season 7, Buffy doesn't see herself as better than anyone else, and thus feels hurt when she's ignored or left out of normal life (as she told her mother, she'd even rather be studying than having to save the world). But to Cordelia's view Buffy has super powers and hot Angel (though Angelus scared Cordelia as well), and yet Buffy didn't seem to appreciate what she had...this didn't stop Cordelia from being sympathetic at times or jumping to Buffy's defense (whether against Gorch, or when she chased away a jock who just shoved a weakened Buffy down onto the ground).

So I don't agree that Cordelia is just some ungrateful bitch toward Buffy, even if she's scathing at times as she tends to be against everyone (unlike many mean girls, Cordelia shows she can take it just as she dishes it out, too).

Priceless, Meliza and brinkster130 like this.
  4. brinkster130

brinkster130 Riley's BFF Staff Member

Sineya
    Buffy always makes snarky comments about Cordy too. It's kinda the dance the two of them do.

I always wished the two of them got past that and tired to get to know each other...imo they could have been good friends.

Smile Time and thrasherpix like this.
  5. Taake

Taake Bella Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Haha, that line pisses me off every.single.time. Still! I know Cordy's really young still, but it's really immature and kind of makes no sense.

Mylie and dcai0830 like this.
  6. Athena

Athena Belinda Staff Member

Black Thorn
    There was always that Heather Chandler/Veronica Sawyer relationship going on that I felt was kind of unnecessary to keep going once Cordelia had moved to LA. Just let bygones be bygones, love! :rolleyes:

7. WillowFromBuffy

WillowFromBuffy "My bowling shoe fetish is not the issue here."

I love Buffy infinitely more than Cordelia, but I will grant Cordy that line. It is a great moment, and she does have a point, doesn't she? Buffy does cry a lot :p

Also...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sisters with really different hair. The scenes are very similar.

Priceless likes this.
  8. Athena

Athena Belinda Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Yeah, but I think it's warranted! :D

9. WillowFromBuffy

Yes, but for fairness and for all that is holy, let Cordelia have this moment of bad-assery. On Angel she was side-lined, damseled, magically impregnated twice, put in bikinis by ad men and fairy tale demons, slave collared, possessed, ridiculed, up-staged by less interesting characters, defanged, brought down and killed off. I cry for Cordelia #ICryForCordelia

crazysoulless: Yeah, except the AI treated her as though she were a superhero. Fred worshipped her. Everyone without prompting told her she was extraordinary. Angel mooned after her like a puppy.
  10. RomanticSoul

RomanticSoul Scooby

But never where Cordelia sees it. Which is why it doesn't make much sense. Basically cry-Buffy is based on how Cordelia imagined Buffy and not who Buffy actually is or based on something Cordelia has seen. So it's just a weird line for me.

crazysoulless and dcai0830 like this.
  11. Meliza

Meliza Potential

"Hey Buffy, great hair.... I respect you to much to lie to you, actually the hairs a little.."

12. Athene

Athene Scooby

I love Buffy but I found that line funny, it's not really that insulting to say that Buffy cries and whines (She does and that's okay she's only human).

Priceless likes this.
  13. Fool for Buffy

Fool for Buffy BFF of Sour Patch Kid

Sineya
    Cordelia always had this image of Buffy that was so terribly wrong. I don't know if she isn't observant or just very rude. In Graduation Day Part 2 she says Buffy is "always thinking of herself." Which of course is followed by Buffy trying to sacrifice her life so Angel can live. I'm watching that and wondering what Buffy Cordelia has been watching the whole time. The whiny little cry-Buffy line is only acceptable to me because she also admits she herself is a bitch. So half of the line is actually true. But I think Cordelia was so baffled by Buffy she never really understood her. At all.

crazysoulless and dcai0830 like this.
  14. dcai0830

Black Thorn
    Buffy shows her vulnerability to very few people. Can't remember her crying in front of Cordy. I don't think this line is warranted. Crying during times where, for example you are prophized to die or when you kill your love to save the world, do not make you a cry baby it makes you Human. Buffy does not snivel and cry constantly. I'll give you she does whine but certainly no more than Cordy does during her time on Buffy.

To me it's one thing to have Cordy and Buffy trade digs at each other but I don't like it here were no one can stand up for Buffy.

crazysoulless likes this.
  15. Tez

Tez Townie

It's not like she doesn't have point buffy does kinda whine and cry every chance she gets how many times did we have to hear her cry about being normal when Cordelia got the visions it took her litrally at episode to accept it also buffy does the exact same when she descibing glory in season five saying she's "kinda like Cordelia acctually" so goes both ways

16. Priceless

Priceless I didn't forget y'know

In the context of the scene Cordy is trying to calm herself down and tell herself that she can be strong and not scared. The strongest person she knows is Buffy, and by verbally calling Buffy a whiny cry-baby, she's making herself feel strong, I don't for one minute think Cordy means it literally. She's rmembering a time when she was strong, and that gives her strength to figh the ghost.

17. dcai0830

Black Thorn
    But this is in direct contradiction to the text isn't it? She says I'm NOT a cry Buffy I'm Cordelia and she finds her strength. I love this epiphany but the cry Buffy part kills it for me every time. It's unnecessary and it's not true.

18. WillowFromBuffy

This is a good point. The comparison is not coincidental. It is like saying, 'You are not facing chicken-limbed Cassius Clay. You're dealing with me!'

Also, I think the fact that Buffy was able to show her vulnerability was a good thing. Cordelia kept it all to herself. It did her no favours, did it?

crazysoulless likes this.
  19. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole My lines are mostly filler

Black Thorn
    The line "whiny little Cry-Buffy" always makes me LOL. It's a funny line.

20. Priceless

Priceless I didn't forget y'know

I think it's very Cordelia. She's having a terrible time, here's a ghost who's tryng to get her to kill herself. When she needs all her strength and belief to fight back, her way of dealing is to put down the strongest person she knows. She does a similar thing in Homecoming

Cordelia:Whatever. The point is, I haven't even broken a sweat. See, in the end, Buffy's just the runner-up. *I'm* the Queen. You get me mad, what do you think I'm gonna do to you?

I'm sure she does it a couple of other times too, where her way of feeling strong is to diminish someone else, it's just her way :)