• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Who does the slayer line run though?

buffy2015

Townie
doesn't it run through faith? or does it not even exist anymore? after the spell willow in chosen. I haven't kept up with the comics at all. isn't there like a hundred + slayers that exist after the spell?

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Up until S1- the line runs through Buffy, then she dies in 'Prophecy Girl'
S2- Kendra- until she dies in Becoming Part 1.
S3- S5- Faith
S6 (after Buffy's resurrection) Buffy and Faith (two girls in all the world) which is why the First got ticked off.
Post S7- there is no line. Despite the First's attempts to irradicate them all Willow's spell activated every the remaining Slayers that existed. There are quite a few but I get the impression that no more are being called.

buffy2015

Townie
ok thanks! someone was asking me but I wasn't quite sure how to word it. So after season 7 the slayer line doesn't exist correct?

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
Not really. I think that when they hit a certain age now they called no matter many are out there right now.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
After the montage of potentials all over the world being activated, in "Chosen" after the battle, when they are looking back on the crater that was Sunnydale, Willow says:

WILLOW
We changed the world. I can feel
them, Buffy. All over. There are
Slayers awakening everywhere.

DAWN
We'll have to find them.
WILLOW
We will.

Later on in the comics, there are about 1800 potentials who were activated and the slayer "line" is now a crowd. If you think in terms of chemistry, a slayer is like epoxy which is just a resin until the hardener is added. Prior to Buffy, only one at a time got "hardened". After Willow's spell, all potentials got "hardened" at once and there is no slayer line in the sense of a serial order of individual girls called when the previous one dies. Of the 1800, less than half join the slayer army and the rest just go on their way with vastly improved physical capabilities and the option to join the slayers at any time.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I get the impression that no more are being called.
How do you get that? I am not really reading the comics but that is interesting. That could have made a really good storyline. The fact that they only have a limited time to rid the world of all vampires because once the last slayer dies there is no more.. it would really tie into the Fray comics. I just didn't think the activations stopped. I just figured that there were still more being activated.

ChaseRules

Sineya
So in the comics theiy stopped being called ?

white avenger

white avenger
In the "Fray" miniseries, the story was that, after the final great battle, sometime in the early 21st Century, Potentials continued to be born, but, because there were no more demons left in the world, therefore no need for a Slayer, none of the Potentials were ever Called until Fray's time, when vampires (lurks) somehow came back. Once that happened, there was, once more, a need for a Slayer, so Fray was Called.

(Whether or not Buffy's activating all of the Potentials in the world at one time somehow changed the time line, like the current "Star Trek" reboot has done, or split into two independent realities has never been determined)

ChaseRules

Sineya
Good point . Buffy did come back from it so her doing so could have split the time line of the earth. .

bespangeled

Scooby
Black Thorn
Not comic reader, so I always assumed that once the final freshly activated slayer dies there would be no more. Of course, the real pisser is all they needed was the amulet.

I think the best fic ideas (what ifs) would come from the 900 who didn't join the army - focusing on the ones who decided this extra strength and healing ability gave them good opportunities to get rich and powerful. If some of them cooperated they could probably slowly take over the world.

ChaseRules

Sineya
Who said they didn't ? At least parts of it :p

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
How do you get that? I am not really reading the comics but that is interesting.

Only because the fact of slayers being called at all is never mentioned again, even though they were dropping like flies at one point.
Also, in the Frayverse- if that's still canon- no new slayers were called for a long time after Buffy's final battle. I just got the impression that when they run out of slayers that's it, no new ones.
Again, its not mentioned specifically- the worldbuilding is all over the place really.
I mean, there's another active Hellmouth in Cleveland and we don't even know if anything is happening there.

ChaseRules

Sineya
We don't know either way from what I know & I think the Hell mouth in Cleveland is weak from what I remember.

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn
Not comic reader, so I always assumed that once the final freshly activated slayer dies there would be no more. Of course, the real pisser is all they needed was the amulet.

I think the best fic ideas (what ifs) would come from the 900 who didn't join the army - focusing on the ones who decided this extra strength and healing ability gave them good opportunities to get rich and powerful. If some of them cooperated they could probably slowly take over the world.

See, this is one of the reasons I always thought it was irresponsible of Buffy & Willow to make all the potentials slayers. We don't know these new slayers' intentions. They could be like Buffy, or they could be more like Faith... they could be power hungry, vicious and ruthless in using that power for their own selfish gains. It could end up good slayers vs evil slayers.

white avenger

white avenger

Possibly not. Without the extra Slayers to keep the ubervamps occupied, Spike, or whoever wore the amulet (in that scenario, I would have opted for Angel for the honor) might have been overwhelmed before its power kicked in.

Maybe I just imagined it, but wasn't something said at the beginning of Season 8 about those girls no longer being Slayers, like Willow somehow figured a way to selectively "turn off" their power? Maybe not, but I got that impression from somewhere.

Also, in the Frayverse- if that's still canon- no new slayers were called for a long time after Buffy's final battle. I just got the impression that when they run out of slayers that's it, no new ones.

I think that new girls continue to become Potentials, but, unless there is a need for one, like during the time between the last great battle in the early 21st Century, when that unnamed Slayer and all her friends somehow blew all of the vampires and demons in the world into a hell dimension, taking themselves along in the process, no Slayers were ever called, simply because there wasn't any need for one.

Also, in the "Fray" mini series, she is, apparently, the only Slayer Called, so it would appear that, once the last of the girls left from Willow's activation spell was gone, the system of "one girl in all the world" rebooted, but needed the return of the lurks (vampires) in Fray's time to restart the actual process of Calling a new Slayer.

See, this is one of the reasons I always thought it was irresponsible of Buffy & Willow to make all the potentials slayers.

Most likely, Buffy never had any idea just how far reaching the results of her plan would be. Remember, Giles told her that there were "only a handful" of Potentials left, and that they were all "heading for Sunnydale." The term "handful" doesn't bring to mind several thousand girls scattered all over the world, even if that is only a minuscule amount when compared to the world's population.It's quite possible that Giles and the Watchers in general had no idea just how many Potentials there actually were in the world. We don't have any idea just how, when, or why the individual Potentials were made, or how the Slayer is selected from that group, but possibly the Potentials identified and located by the Council were only those girls with the highest probability of actually becoming the Slayer. We know that at least a few go unnoticed prior to being Called, because Buffy was one of those. Merrick, her original Watcher, only approached her after she had been called, and Dana, the nut case from Season 5 "Angel" obviously had never had a Watcher, even before the First Evil set its plan into motion. Also, look at all of the girls who Willow's spell affected in "Chosen." Not a single one of them appeared to be, as Giles had said, "heading for Sunnydale," they were all going about their daily lives, completely oblivious to what they had been before being activated.

ChaseRules

Sineya
I think they had no choice myself in activation all the slayers. I also think that other people wanted all & I mean all the slayers activation so they stretched her spell to do so & well a lot of evil people might have gotten Powers they have no idea what up so I don't think there be a lot of fighting.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Only because the fact of slayers being called at all is never mentioned again, even though they were dropping like flies at one point.
Again, its not mentioned specifically- the worldbuilding is all over the place really.
I mean, there's another active Hellmouth in Cleveland and we don't even know if anything is happening there.
No new slayers were called period after the Battle of Starbucks.. but I just figured it was not canon anymore.. I thought it was mentioned something about it not being.

So no one really knows for certain... there could be new slayers called and people are just letting them get by on their own because they have too much on their hands. Or the slayer line could be 'dead'. But it's never even mentioned? That blows.

thetopher
thetopher
Pretty much.

ChaseRules

Sineya
I figured myself from the spotty knowledge I have that their was Slayers still called but they were leaving them alone because
of everything that was happing.

white avenger

white avenger
are the comics even worth reading? I myself perfer to imagine the show ending the way it did in chosen.

It's strictly a matter of personal choice. Technically, the Dark Horse comics are canon, but more than a few fans simply prefer to believe that the series ended with "Chosen" and "Not Fade Away," respectively. There's no really tremendous loss or gain, either way.

Top Bottom