• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Who is going to bite the (or turn into) dust?

WhyCantiStay

Please, Wesley...
This sounds like a pretty plausible end to the Buffy comics as we know them. Who isn't going to make it out alive? Or undead?

I know a lot of people have mentioned Angel, and I kinda feel the same way. I'd like to see him get an awesome ending, tying in with the prophecy from After the Fall. I'd also hate for his story to end though, especially when his last season was god awful. He deserves a better run to end on.

I could see Andrew coming back only to die near the end of the series, but do we really want a "kill your gays" trope here now?

Now that we have the Mayor back, I could see Faith doing some sacrificial move to end him permanently. I don't think it's needed, and she's such a good character to keep around, but this just seems like a plausible story beat they'd do, IMO.

And then: Buffy herself. I feel like she could die, but I think she'll end up banished from the earth or something, or choosing to leave to another world. Something that ties into the ominous future she's been told to have, but she'll make the best of it and survive. Idk! Maybe Spike will go with her, and they'll live in a hell dimension, forever in crisis but with one another? (ha!)

I think Xander and Dawn are safe, or I'd like to think so. Characters that have died already, in my mind, are safe: so Giles and Fred/Illyria. And then we've been told we're gonna tie into Future!Dark!Willow's story, so I think it's safe to say we'll see Willow survive in this timeline. I'm excited to finish this series, and then go back and reread Time of Your Life. I feel like Spike is safe as well, given his many a deaths over the years, but we'll see, I guess.

What do you guys think?

Mylie

Scooby
I think both Angel and Spike will die. Buffy will then be able to move on and date humans :)

I'm mostly worried about Buffy dying. I really don't want that ending for her.

The Ferg

Scooby
I honestly think most of the main characters will die. Illyria, Angel, Faith, Giles, Andrew, and we know what happens to Willow (sort of).

Maybe Joyce and one parent will survive. There's no way both Xander and Dawn are getting out of this alive.

Crazy theory: Either Xander, Andrew, or Giles will become that purple monkey thing from Fray, by the end of the season.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Maybe the "purple monkey thing" is actually a Butt-Monkey and Xander turns into it thus becoming a literal butt-monkey versus the figurative butt-monkey he was always lamenting being.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
If something like 'Dark Willow' happens in the future the something really bad has to happen, to most of them.

I have a queasy feeling that Faith might die what with Richard Wilkins the giant-snake making an appearance; her taking him out like a boss but ultimately dying in the process has a sad sort of symmetry to it.
That would be a shame since she's one of the characters who I feel much more could be done with.

Killing Angel would be tragic but might be a relief for the poor guy, given what's been done to him over the years, but that all depends if he's still 'pivotal to 'the' apocalypse' anymore. Unless its 'I'm pivotal because my new girlfriend is an ancient god' I guess (kind of lame as twists go).

I doubt Spike will die since his sole character arc in the comics- his romance with Buffy- has just been abruptly ended. What would be the point of killing him all over again when he hasn't achieved anything?

Giles is safe unless he's transformed into the monkey-thing.
Xander and Dawn are pretty secure I feel (unless their deaths are what create DW?).
Fred/Illyria seems extremely unlikely to die since she feels the least consequential character here; that usually means that the character is safe from Joss.

Same goes for Andrew (although I hope he stays written out and is mercifully forgotten about as far as the Buffyverse is concerned).

I dunno, maybe Buffy dies. That's a pretty good bet if the future is as its depicted in Fray.
But I suppose that's the ultimate question, it all comes down to how to you reconcile the idea of destiny, higher powers and fate in a world where choice matters?
Hopefully Joss will do something clever with that.

The Ferg

Scooby
Hopefully Joss will do something clever with that.
Well that's the real question, isn't it? This is really Whedon's chance to show us that he still cares and can still write a good story. He's usually really good with finales, so my hopes are very high.

God, I wonder if, when the writers were meeting about S12, Whedon kept trying to bring up Trump and politics and Gage had to keep yelling at him to stay focused! Seriously, has he ever once posted anything about his actual work on Twitter?

Same goes for Andrew (although I hope he stays written out and is mercifully forgotten about as far as the Buffyverse is concerned).
I'm kind of thinking he'll end up having a Dobby moment. Ie: deus ex machina-ing the team to safety while sacrificing himself.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
then Buffy can go on with her human life.
Just as long as it's not in the comics. If it were an end of the comics, I can see that happening, but the comics aren't ending. Which means if one or both of the vampires would die people would just be speculating and when they would be coming back.

The Ferg

Scooby
Just as long as it's not in the comics. If it were an end of the comics, I can see that happening, but the comics aren't ending. Which means if one or both of the vampires would die people would just be speculating and when they would be coming back.
I've understood the "end of the season structure" to mean that it won't really matter who dies in S12. Future stories probably won't take place after S12.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I've understood the "end of the season structure" to mean that it won't really matter who dies in S12. Future stories probably won't take place after S12.
I took it a completely different way. That it would continue but more in the tradition comic format and not the 'seasonal' format.

The Ferg

Scooby
I took it a completely different way. That it would continue but more in the tradition comic format and not the 'seasonal' format.
Wow I would have never considered that possibility, but I'd actually be super okay with that.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
My understanding is that Dark Willow appears in a Buffy-Fray Crossover, having become immortal, because someone really took that goddess thing literally. Seriously, what is the deal with the goddess thing? Anyways, Willow survives into the future, or at least did. Arguably, making an ending other than one in which a human Angel ends up with a at peace Buffy, is going to have to be really, really good to make up for what was arguably Angel's mission statement. Other than that, it's a everyone or no one situation. Anyone who does die needs to be shown as meeting Cordelia in what is strongly suggested to be heaven. However, Joss doesn't seem to be in that phase of his life where he's big on Happy Endings, so, for all we know, Rocky V.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
Willow dies. Nobody sees it coming because she's supposed to live in the future. Time is not fixed. I think that ending would be cool.

AndrewCrossett

Satsu Otaku
Sineya
Somebody will have to die, because it's Joss we're talking about here. I think most of them will escape through a portal that Dawn will open up.

Either one of the vampire boyfriends might go... probably not both, although Joss might like the idea of devastating Spuffies and Bangels at the same time.

I'm not sure Giles is all that safe. It might seem odd to kill him off again already after just spending a whole season resurrecting him, but... one of JW's storytelling trademarks is that death doesn't care whether it's just or not.

Willow isn't 100% safe either, even though we've seen her in the future. Melaka said Buffy messed up the timeline when she dropped in the first time.

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
Either one of the vampire boyfriends might go... probably not both, although Joss might like the idea of devastating Spuffies and Bangels at the same time.

Idk how devastating an Angel death would be to Bangels at this point in the comics. I personally was kinda hoping for it before 12 came out. I’m on the fence about it now. I can think of many worse fates than death for Angel though!

Cohen

Hellhound
Honestly I like the idea that Angel and Spike go to hell with the demons and keep them at bay, sacrificing themselves for Buffy.

S Rou

Potential
Idk how devastating an Angel death would be to Bangels at this point in the comics. I personally was kinda hoping for it before 12 came out. I’m on the fence about it now. I can think of many worse fates than death for Angel though!

He loves Buffy so much that he suffered in hell for her for hundreds of years after she sent him there and when he returned, he still loved her. This is the greatest act of love anyone ever showed Buffy and people in the fandom tend to overlook it a lot.

white avenger

white avenger
Who isn't going to make it out alive? Or undead?

I'm wondering if this is going to tie into the story from the original "Fray" miniseries, about "the Slayer" (supposedly Buffy) who gathered up all of her friends for one final great battle, and wound up blasting all of the demons and vampires, as well as herself and all of her people into a hell dimension. It would be ironic if Fray gets blasted to hell along with all of the others.

Maybe, with the likelihood of a new "Buffy" series on TV, Joss has decided to shut the old franchise down, once and for all, in order to not have to deal with the two conflicting story lines running simultaneously..

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
we basically know someone is going to die now.... who will it be???? Ahhh!!

Top Bottom