• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Who loved Buffy more: Angel or Spike?

Robb Stark

King in the North
Sineya
I was thinking about this today and it's a tough one. Spike has more of an obsessive love for her and he goes to some pretty crazy lengths for her but Angel loves her so much he's willing to endure heartache he'll never get over for her good (at the end of season 3 and in "I will remember you"). I don't think either one ever really gets over Buffy.

L

Living Dead Boy

Uh oh, you've just opened Pandora's Box. These things tend to get pretty heated, so use your shield. :D Even though my favorite relationship on the show is Buffy and Spike, I don't believe that Angel's love was more or less valid. They both loved her, that's as simple as I'm making it. :)

HisMrs
HisMrs
[No message]
S
Summerlilly
Nice. Way to stay neutral! lol
V

Vamp Jenny

I believe both loved her as much, just not exactly in the same way. Yes, they loved her romantically, but Angel loved her unconditionally and overlooking all the problems they went through while Spike loved her for these flaws.

Does it even make sense??? XD

FaithsFollower

Thank Goodness It's Buffy
Sineya
Aww, now this is hard to answer. I agree with you in that neither one has gotten over her.

But who loved her more? I can't answer that one. :(

Okay, I suppose I'll come out and say what I'm feeling as I'm typing. I think that, in my honet opinion, and this is coming from a strict anti-Spuffy fan, that Spike loved her more. With Angel, it was pure love. It truly was. But in some episodes where Buffy's facing something, it's like that Angel started treating her with kid gloves you know? Angel saw her as the Slayer, true, but I think that he was sort of over-protective of her.

Spike, Spike saw her as an enemy, as a force NOT to be reckoned with, as an annoyance in his daily unlife, as a sort of crush, as a weird sexscape figure, and finally, as a comrade and friend. He NEVER treated her with kid gloves. He never 'handled' her when she was facing something bad because he KNEW that she could take care of herself.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Spike probably loved her more. Just sayin'. :)

GoSpuffy
GoSpuffy
[No message]

ladydorotea

Scooby
Define love in its purest romantic sense, vesrus lust , obsession, desire to possess, to own as an object of desire, to be with sexually? Are these one and the same? If you think sexual drive and desire to copulate defines love - then sure, Spike is your choice.

Miss Kitty

Potential
I think they both loved her, sincerely, in different ways. We can't talk in amounts.

What was different was their way of loving her.

Angel was in love for the first time, so was Buffy. It was more pure, Buffy was all his world in BTVS seasons 1-3. That was intense. There was some idealization, he overlooked some things, and he tended to be overprotective with her.

Spike, it was at a different period of Buffy's life, and it was more complicated because he was souless when he fell in love with her. Spike's love started as a passionnate obsession, and it evolved into something truly beautiful and mature. Souless, we saw that he really cared about her. In his weird way, he really loved her. It was unhealthy in some ways, and surprisingly sincere in some others. This love lead him to want to be a man, he left for getting back his soul when he realized that he was still a monster who could hurt the woman he loves. But in season 7, that was a real and deep love. He loved her for who she was, in despite of her flaws and all the bad they went through. He really saw her like she was, he was there in her darkest hours, but he also saw her most beautiful moments, and was still madly in love with her.

Moscow Watcher
Moscow Watcher
[No message]
Gum Gnome33
Gum Gnome33
[No message]
S
Summerlilly
[No message]
Cheese Slices
Cheese Slices
[No message]

Jod

Cookie dough
Hmm i think they both loved her.. but i think (rightly or wrongly) that maybe spike loved her more although i dont think it shows until season 7. He changed big time for her (even though sometimes still a silly sausage). He would do anything for her and her fam to the point of him sacrificing himself for them all in chosen. But yeah i think angel would always love her.. after all..who doesn't shes buffy! :D

VisionGirl
VisionGirl
Heh, silly sausage.

Summerlilly

Covert Superhero
Maybe it seems that Spike loved her more because he was more vocal about it. He wasn't capable of hiding his feelings, especially about Buffy. Angel loved her but was able to distance himself. I mean, quiet self torture brooding was his specialty right? Angel was able to do what he thought was best for her and Spike could only do what his heart told him to.

white avenger

white avenger
Both Angel and Spike loved Buffy equally, but in totally different ways, which worked out quite well, since she loved both of them equally but in totally different ways. So, it all equals out.

Sadly, quite a few fans seem to have problems accepting that simple fact.

L
Living Dead Boy
[No message]
Jules
Jules
[No message]
Miss Kitty
Miss Kitty
[No message]
Moscow Watcher
Moscow Watcher
[No message]

Robb Stark

King in the North
Sineya
Maybe it seems that Spike loved her more because he was more vocal about it. He wasn't capable of hiding his feelings, especially about Buffy. Angel loved her but was able to distance himself. I mean, quiet self torture brooding was his specialty right? Angel was able to do what he thought was best for her and Spike could only do what his heart told him to.
That makes sense. Spike wasn't able to keep it inside, while Angel dealt by going with the brooding, and a side dish of brooding.

And maybe it is tough to compare. I think without a doubt Angel's love for Buffy was more pure, while Spike's was more consuming and animalistic almost.

Summerlilly

Covert Superhero
That makes sense. Spike wasn't able to keep it inside, while Angel dealt by going with the brooding, and a side dish of brooding.

And maybe it is tough to compare. I think without a doubt Angel's love for Buffy was more pure, while Spike's was more consuming and animalistic almost.
I don't know if you can say Angel's love was more pure but Spike's love was definately all consuming. I don't believe it's truly possible as an outsider to say who loved her more. Just like in real life relationships, no one but the person in love knows what they're truly feeling.

Taake

That's right, I'm watching you...
Staff member
Black Thorn
I wouldn't say that either one of them loved her more. How do you measure love? I feel satisfied saying that they loved her differently.

:)

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
As a Bangel fan I'd love to say its Angel, but like most people have said I think they loved her the same. I agree that they both showed their love in different ways, in some ways its quite similar.

They both sacrifice something for her. Spike goes and gets his soul back just so he can be with her. He injures all that guilt and craziness. He also dies for her. I might be incurring the rath of Spike fans here, but I dont think Spike saved the world just because he had his soul back. I feel like he did it purely for Buffy. Angel gives up Buffy at the end of Season 3 so she can grow and move on, he does the same at the end of IWRY. Right or wrong he gives up the one thing he loves the most so that she can be happy and move on.

Most people dont get to experience that kind of love once in their lifetime, Buffy was lucky enough to have it happen twice :)

Top Bottom