• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Who would have preferred Gunn's sister to live instead and become a regular instead of Gunn?

Benz

Potential
I think she would made more interesting character and other female in

NeonSlayer

Potential
I would've preferred if Gunn's sister lived, Gunn stayed a main character, and Cordelia was written out.

W
WillowFromBuffy
2/3

caitaintdead

caiters gonna cait
Black Thorn
Nah, I quite like Gunn as an addition to the team. His sister dying was a good push to drive him up from street gang and into apocolypse averting activities.

Agreed. His sister dying was the cataylst for him maturing into a character that could fit the Angel team.

I don't feel like we knew enough about the sister for me to confidently say I would have liked her as a main character.

caitaintdead

caiters gonna cait
Black Thorn
Nope, I liked Gunn, and his sister dying was a believable catalyst for his story and development. I do wish we would have seen a little bit more of his sister, maybe some flashbacks, so we could have understood Gunn in a more complex way.

One of my gripes about AtS is that there was not enough of a focus on Gunn's personal story. He transitioned from living on the streets to working as a corporate lawyer. At the very least we should have explored how and when he moved from being homeless to having a roof over his head. Even just a few minutes at the beginning of an episode of the gang helping him move into a new place.

brinkster130
brinkster130
I totally agree

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
In my opinion, Gunn should have stayed the Champion of his own story, popping in as one of Angel's irregulars as needed, but he should have never abandoned his neighborhood or his gang. So, I would have to say no.

LilahFan

Townie
I wouldn't change anything about that part of the Angel story. Guns character was pretty cool. I do think the sister had potential though.

Bite-me

Scooby
Yes! Yes! Yes! great idea I like the idea of "Charlotte Gunn" its not secret his character developed the least, there was even a running joke about it on the show, as the nickname the muscle. In a early season Angel retrieves information from a black women detective/office person. The episode name escapes me but for being such a short scene, and never seeing this person again, the acting comes off like the two have known each other for years, I always wondered if something got cut.

A bonus would be that the physical, action oriented character being female makes Kate redundant, I mean more redundant. I also always thought Gina Torres would have made a wonderful attention the main cast playing a foil instead of a big bad.

Last edited:
J

joseph

I think she would made more interesting character and other female in
okay I never liked angel except for the Darla & Dru episodes and the ones with spike but she would be more interesting than Gunn.

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
I think Alona was too young to be a regular, the Angel cast were all older and it was a more mature show, so while interesting I don't think she would have fit in.

NeonSlayer

Potential
I think Alona was too young to be a regular, the Angel cast were all older and it was a more mature show, so while interesting I don't think she would have fit in.

I thought Alona was near Gunn's age and he was in his 20s. Cordelia was only 18 and just 3 months out of high school in the pilot.

Or do you mean the actress who played Alona was too young?

Miss Muffet

"Can I trade in the children for more cash?"
It's definitely an intriguing idea and I'm surprised I haven't seen a fanfic about it. Assuming Gunn died, I think she would probably integrate into AI faster, considering she didn't seem to be a leader of the gang (though I could be wrong about that). I can also see her finding a big sister in Cordy.

LemonBanana

Glorious Purpose
Sineya
I really like Gunn, and his sister dying played a big part in his character development, but his sister would have been a very interesting play on things and I definitely don't think it's the worst idea! It would have been a nice idea to have another girl in there. However, if the sister lived AND Gunn lived then it wouldn't have given either of them a big thing to fight for, so it would either have to be one or the other to kick it to make the show more interesting

thrasherpix

Scooby
The thought crossed my mind that I prefer Gunn to his sister, but would've happily traded Fred for her.

And then I thought of Gunn's sister becoming Illyria...because of a paper Gunn signed...the despair was instantly tangible and I could really see him throwing himself willingly into Hell as he did....and in this case, being rescued by Illyria would be much worse rather than a relief.

Angst galore. I bet Joss would've done that if he thought of it.

burrunjor

Scooby
The thought crossed my mind that I prefer Gunn to his sister, but would've happily traded Fred for her.

And then I thought of Gunn's sister becoming Illyria...because of a paper Gunn signed...the despair was instantly tangible and I could really see him throwing himself willingly into Hell as he did....and in this case, being rescued by Illyria would be much worse rather than a relief.

Angst galore. I bet Joss would've done that if he thought of it.

Oh god that does sound so much better!

I'm not that keen on Fred. I certainly don't mind Amy, and the fact that Fred is a total Ducky works in her favour LOL.

Still I didn't like the Fred, Gunn, Wesley love triangle, and I felt they tried to hard to make Fred too cutesy wutesy. Alona Gunn was a great character meanwhile and I really liked the actress. Her and Wes would have been a more unusual and interesting couple than him and Fred too.

God damn I so wish they had done that now.

T
thrasherpix
Acker is an awesome actress, but her character did grate on me at times, especially when she was even more variable than Spike in her insights to utter cluelessness (D&D character: roll 3d6 every day for Fred's wisdom), hated her love triangle most

burrunjor

Scooby
[B][I]thrasherpix[/I][/B] Acker is an awesome actress, but her character did grate on me at times, especially when she was even more variable than Spike in her insights to utter cluelessness (D&D character: roll 3d6 every day for Fred's wisdom), hated her love triangle most

Fred and Gunn is one of the worst pairings. It's like a cliche of a bad Joss Whedon romance, with one of characters going from a cool, sarcastic badass to sappy, cheesy git LOL.

I think it only gets overlooked as one of the worst because of the horror of Cangel overshadowing it LOL.

I also do think that Wesley and Alona would have been better too, and you could have had the same touching final moment between them that you had with Wes and Fred.

To be honest apart from Connor and S3-4 Cordy, Fred was the weakest main character in the show for me. I liked her in season 5. (She benefited from having Spike to play off of.) Still at times she once again felt like a parody of a character at times.

The first bit with her and Angel in the cave is just Spike's parody of Angel from up on the roof LOL.

"Handsome man saved me from the monsters."

"Working up a lot of sexual tension and prancing away like a magnificent" LOL.

Top Bottom