• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Why Angel turned himself into a human?

A

AAXL98

I got up to Chapter 7 of the ATF series, and I still don't quite understand why Angel turned himself into a human. Wouldn't he have been better off with the super strength and speed that came with being a vampire? Did he turn himself into a human to prevent the alteration of hell and earth having more power over him due to Angel having some sort of demon in him? I still don't get it. Your response would be helpful. :)

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
Angel didn't make himself human. It was Wolfram and Hart. Although I'm not sure how they managed it.

gite63

Gone
Sineya
Yeah it was W&H. Sort of a poetic punishment; giving him what he wanted but at the worst possible time.
By the way, every time Angel becomes human, it's not "the right time" and he wants to be a vampire again.

He and Spike have this obssession of turning human, but with the lives they live, the "right time" will never come, IMO. Do they want it because of Buffy? To have babies with her? To age? To have lung cancer because of the smoking? To die of liver failure because of hard drinking? To watch Buffy die and be able to do nothing, because they are mere mortals?

VisionBoy

Scooby
Sineya
By the way, every time Angel becomes human, it's not "the right time" and he wants to be a vampire again.

He and Spike have this obssession of turning human, but with the lives they live, the "right time" will never come, IMO.
Yes I'd agree with that. I think they both romanticize the notion of being human quite a lot. But as Angel said in I Will Always Remember You, he couldn't protect people the same way... add to that Angel's message: "the quest for redemption is a constant struggle" and that's never likely to change.
As you say, it'll never be the right time for them realistically.

bespangeled

Scooby
Black Thorn

He and Spike have this obssession of turning human, but with the lives they live, the "right time" will never come, IMO. Do they want it because of Buffy? To have babies with her? To age? To have lung cancer because of the smoking? To die of liver failure because of hard drinking? To watch Buffy die and be able to do nothing, because they are mere mortals?
I never saw Spike as wanting to be human - I thought he just wanted to beat the crap out of Angel. Is this different in the comics?

gite63

Gone
Sineya
I never saw Spike as wanting to be human - I thought he just wanted to beat the crap out of Angel. Is this different in the comics?
Maybe I used a strong word ("obssessed"), but

yeah, Spike wishes - not wishes, that is a dangerous word - wanted once that the Shanshu was about him and he was "turned human and lived together (with the Slayer) in love and happiness forever after."

white avenger

white avenger
every time Angel becomes human, it's not "the right time" and he wants to be a vampire again.
I honestly think that Angel enjoys dreaming of becoming a real live boy and spending the rest of a normal, mortal life with Buffy (or Cordy, or Nina, or whoever you want him to be with) and, just as long as it's a dream, rather than reality, he's quite happy with it. There's always some kind of excuse for him to wind up rejecting humanity, whether it's saving Buffy from dying while protecting her, leaving his self imposed mission unfulfilled, or whatever he can come up with, and it's really quite understandable. Who would want to trade immortality, superhuman strength, heightened senses, rapid healing, and immunity to all human diseases for the combined and ever increasing aches, pains, and limited lifespan? Even if you add a far more varied diet and the ability to go out in the sun whenever he wants to (a dangerous thing at best, considering how sensitive his skin would be after a couple of centuries of totally living in shady places) and the "privilege" of growing old with Buffy or whoever, it would be a very hard thing to give up.

And, really, why bother? He's already got the girl, whoever you imagine she is, he's got a son, and he's one of the baddest bad dog in the pack. Getting rid of the "moment of complete happiness" clause, I could see him jumping for, no hesitation, but humanity? Not even close.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Who would want to trade immortality, superhuman strength, heightened senses, rapid healing, and immunity to all human diseases for the combined and ever increasing aches, pains, and limited lifespan?
But I would think that would have an appeal. The problem, especially with Angel, less so with Spike, is that throughout the years you actually saw Angel (via Boreanaz) grow and age, so it lessens the effect. Imagine season 5 Angel looking like Angel in Welcome to the Hellmouth. Then imagine that Angel in all of the flashbacks, etc. I could see where one, after centuries, might wish to grow and age. Especially if he was the kinda scrawny Angel in the first season.

gite63

Gone
Sineya
Really - on the forever part?
Yes. 
That sounds kinda not like Spike at all.
Spike is becoming more "human", even his clothes are changing, and his love for Buffy is kind of forever and ever... but I do think it's silly of him (or Angel) to want to be human.

If Buffy wants to have kids (and she doesn't strike me as a woman who dreams of babies), they can adopt or have an artificial insemination, why not? So many human couples have to do that, it's not because a vampire is involved that the problem can't be dealt.

The only thing that can be an issue, is the immortality... but to give up it and die of skin cancer because of the so desired sun would be very upsetting...

Top Bottom