1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Why Angel turned himself into a human?

Discussion in 'Angel: After the Fall' started by AAXL98, Apr 4, 2015.

1. AAXL98

AAXL98 Guest

I got up to Chapter 7 of the ATF series, and I still don't quite understand why Angel turned himself into a human. Wouldn't he have been better off with the super strength and speed that came with being a vampire? Did he turn himself into a human to prevent the alteration of hell and earth having more power over him due to Angel having some sort of demon in him? I still don't get it. Your response would be helpful. :)

2. The Bronze

The Bronze Rogue Demon Hunter

Black Thorn
    Angel didn't make himself human. It was Wolfram and Hart. Although I'm not sure how they managed it.

AAXL98 likes this.
  3. Joan the Vampire Slayer

Joan the Vampire Slayer Carpe Spuffy!

4. VisionBoy

VisionBoy Scooby

Sineya
    Yeah it was W&H. Sort of a poetic punishment; giving him what he wanted but at the worst possible time.

chasesummers and janas like this.
  5. gite63

gite63 Gone

Sineya
    By the way, every time Angel becomes human, it's not "the right time" and he wants to be a vampire again.

He and Spike have this obssession of turning human, but with the lives they live, the "right time" will never come, IMO. Do they want it because of Buffy? To have babies with her? To age? To have lung cancer because of the smoking? To die of liver failure because of hard drinking? To watch Buffy die and be able to do nothing, because they are mere mortals?

6. VisionBoy

VisionBoy Scooby

Sineya
    Yes I'd agree with that. I think they both romanticize the notion of being human quite a lot. But as Angel said in I Will Always Remember You, he couldn't protect people the same way... add to that Angel's message: "the quest for redemption is a constant struggle" and that's never likely to change.
    As you say, it'll never be the right time for them realistically.

7. AAXL98

AAXL98 Guest

Wow. Alright, thanks a lot for the replies! :p

8. bespangeled

bespangeled Scooby

Black Thorn
    I never saw Spike as wanting to be human - I thought he just wanted to beat the crap out of Angel. Is this different in the comics?

9. gite63

gite63 Gone

Sineya
    Maybe I used a strong word ("obssessed"), but

yeah, Spike wishes - not wishes, that is a dangerous word - wanted once that the Shanshu was about him and he was "turned human and lived together (with the Slayer) in love and happiness forever after."

10. bespangeled

bespangeled Scooby

Black Thorn
    Really - on the forever part?

11. Firstina

Firstina Angel's Little Avenger

That sounds kinda not like Spike at all.

bespangeled: THIS
    Lyri likes this.
  12. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

I honestly think that Angel enjoys dreaming of becoming a real live boy and spending the rest of a normal, mortal life with Buffy (or Cordy, or Nina, or whoever you want him to be with) and, just as long as it's a dream, rather than reality, he's quite happy with it. There's always some kind of excuse for him to wind up rejecting humanity, whether it's saving Buffy from dying while protecting her, leaving his self imposed mission unfulfilled, or whatever he can come up with, and it's really quite understandable. Who would want to trade immortality, superhuman strength, heightened senses, rapid healing, and immunity to all human diseases for the combined and ever increasing aches, pains, and limited lifespan? Even if you add a far more varied diet and the ability to go out in the sun whenever he wants to (a dangerous thing at best, considering how sensitive his skin would be after a couple of centuries of totally living in shady places) and the "privilege" of growing old with Buffy or whoever, it would be a very hard thing to give up.

And, really, why bother? He's already got the girl, whoever you imagine she is, he's got a son, and he's one of the baddest bad dog in the pack. Getting rid of the "moment of complete happiness" clause, I could see him jumping for, no hesitation, but humanity? Not even close.

gite63 likes this.
  13. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    But I would think that would have an appeal. The problem, especially with Angel, less so with Spike, is that throughout the years you actually saw Angel (via Boreanaz) grow and age, so it lessens the effect. Imagine season 5 Angel looking like Angel in Welcome to the Hellmouth. Then imagine that Angel in all of the flashbacks, etc. I could see where one, after centuries, might wish to grow and age. Especially if he was the kinda scrawny Angel in the first season.

Firstina likes this.
  14. gite63

gite63 Gone

Sineya
    Yes.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 5, 2015, Original Post Date: Apr 5, 2015 ---
    Spike is becoming more "human", even his clothes are changing, and his love for Buffy is kind of forever and ever... but I do think it's silly of him (or Angel) to want to be human.

If Buffy wants to have kids (and she doesn't strike me as a woman who dreams of babies), they can adopt or have an artificial insemination, why not? So many human couples have to do that, it's not because a vampire is involved that the problem can't be dealt.

The only thing that can be an issue, is the immortality... but to give up it and die of skin cancer because of the so desired sun would be very upsetting...

15. chasesummers

chasesummers Cordy Lives

Always too much drama, the damn vampire can never be happy or make some sort of progress.

AAXL98 likes this.
  16. Firstina

Firstina Angel's Little Avenger

And that's kinda the point of the character.

AAXL98 likes this.