• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Why are the comics so expensive?

telperion66

Potential
Hey guys,

I'm a big Buffy and Angel fan, have been for many years.

I really want to read the Buffy and Angel comics that continue the respective series' beyond what we saw on TV.

But, really, I can't afford the prices for what I'm being asked to pay for them on places like Amazon..

Anyone know why they're so expensive to buy, and is there a cheaper way I can get hold of them to read?

Thanks in advance! :)

Priceless

Scooby
I agree, the comics are really expensive for what you get. I guess the margins are pretty tight for publishers like Dark Horse and Boom, though do they make a lot of money from selling the rights to tv companies like Netflix?

Have you tried the pre-owned on Ebay? That's where I bought my first copies when I started getting into the comics. There is one particular library edition, I think it's from Buffy S8 and I paid over £80 for it second-hand.

What annoys me about the comics is the multiple covers for every issue. They rely on fans being completists and shelling out for all the covers.

TriBel

Scooby
There are ways and means - try googling but you could end up on an insecure site. Depending on where you are, you can try a free 30 day trial with Comixology Unlimited. Argh...if you're actually in York then it's not available in the UK. I've bought digital copies of collections from them in the past and they were very cheap but things might have changed since Dark Horse lost the licence.

Library Editions are the cheapest (and nicest) way of collecting hard copies but they've gone very expensive. I bought mine new and preowned from Amazon (but the prices are between 5 and 10 times what I paid) - they seem to have become increasingly rare. This is the cheapest I've found (it's out of stock but it says they're expecting deliveries).

I can recommend Speedy Hen. I bought all my Absolute Sandman Editions from them and they were £20/30 cheaper than Amazon.

Top Bottom