• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Why Charmed seems to be more popular than Buffy ?

Hey everyone ;)

During my Internet trip in recent years, I have often seen polls (especially on Facebook groups) Charmed vs Buffy and as surprising as it may be Charmed won often. And I'm curious to know the reasons ? I know that many people like both series and refuse to compare them, that's not why I created this topic and it would clearly not be the right place for a fair duel. But I'm curious to know, from you what could explain that Charmed has or in any case seems to have a success greater than Buffy. Is it because the audience target is more large ? or maybe it is a more easily watchable/rewatchable series ? I want to say that I like charmed but I am curious to know your opinions if you want to share it.

Black Thorn
Charmed was mostly fun...the writing was mediocre, the girls were pretty, and most of the episodes were stand-alone; you could miss a couple of weeks and then pick up where you left off, without feeling as though you were lost. It was the television equivalent of fast food...whereas Buffy was a bit more complicated. You had to pay attention or you'd miss the little things; the sly humour, the unexpected hilarity (loan shark, demon Giles, etc) and so on.

You really don't see a lot of people talking about Charmed these days, whereas Buffy is layered and complex, so a lot of us are still discussing it. It has withstood the test of time because it's still relevant, new, and magical to so many of us.

fauxindigo
fauxindigo
beautifully said

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
I think the answer lies in the people that were voting for these polls. It could be mostly fans of Charmed or it could be people who have never seen either show (or maybe an episode here or there). I think from an outsiders perspective, Buffy is still a silly, vampire romance teenage drama show. Whereas Charmed seemed more adult. I have not seen Charmed in years (and I have not seen every episode). I'm curious about the new reboot they are doing which is aimed at a teenage audience.

Taake

Not a witch
Staff member
Black Thorn
I agree with what @Amber Bunny Slippers said and would just add that Charmed isn't particularly challenging to the viewer so it's very easy to watch when you want to get away from the troubles of your own life. Basically, it's pure entertainment, almost like a soap opera. I think once you get hooked on Buffy (which arguably also has a sillier title) you don't look back, but Charmed is so easy to watch and drop in and out of, it requires very little of you as a viewer. You won't really be challenged by a Seeing Red in the Charmedverse, even though they put their characters through emotional difficulties of course. It's just... a bit shallow. Less message-heavy. The only really raw emotion that isn't just quickly moved on from by the next episode, is Piper grieving Prue (and that was a necessity because they lost even the rights to show Prue's likeness on the show again.)

I also think it is helped by having three lead characters. Buffy has her friends and people do like her friends more than her sometimes, but the show is always centered on her and her perspective and actions, that means that Buffy herself has to be a little bit bland in a way because they need as many people as possible to get hooked to/care about the lead (that's why the more distinct characters like Faith or Spike are orbiting around Buffy, but they're not intended to be the focal point). With three leads you have more freedom to make say - one responsible, one arrogant and the other completely irresponsible, because different people will get attached to a different sister.

Basically, I think Charmed has a wider appeal. People don't always want to be challenged or pay attention to what they're watching at the end of the day, sometimes, you just want to be entertained and have a bit of fun. :)

Sineya
A lot of it was the eye candy factor. Buffy was cute but there is no season where she was the best-looking girl on the screen whereas the Charmed girls were all glamourous.

A big sell for a lot of people is that the three girls had to work together, hand in glove, to cast the spell that usually ended each episode. A lot of people are sold on the idea of family, cooperating and working together as equals whereas Buffy had people around her who were basically her minions. Sure, they were volunteers but they did not do things together acting as one unit. In that sense, Buffy was more realistic but did not appeal to people who wanted to see no difference in status of the lead characters.

Faith 2019

Slayer vs Slayer
I watched Charmed from time to time. The strange point with Charmed was the sisters showing off their breasts to each other when they were in their house. Even then, they never brought up how undressed they were to each other. If my sisters did the same, we would have brought up the issue within no time.

They owned the P3 without having any problem with demons there. The demons always happened at the house. Different then with Buffy.

Athene
Athene
The demons in charmed are unintelligent
What I also don't understand is that Charmed is actually remastered like Buffy was. But the difference is that Charmed will get a Blu-Ray people can already order the season 1 blu-ray on Amazon. And Buffy HD is finished since months and still no Blu-Ray !! Does that mean that some people decide that Buffy is not selling enough for that But Charmed yes it is .. I'm a bit frustrated

Black Thorn
Also, Buffy had several actors who were actually talented. I'm quite fond of Charmed, but the acting was rather one-note....with the exception of Holly Marie Combs (Piper) and Jennifer Rhodes (Grams), of course. Those ladies knew how to act. Alyssa Milano...no. Shannen Doherty...she basically played herself (she's a bad ass with serious anger management issues in real-life) and don't even get me started on Rose McGowan.

Also, you can judge a show's brilliance by the number of its quotable quotes. I own Charmed (S1-4) and except for "The power of three will set us free," I honestly can't think of any dialogue worth repeating. But how many times have we all used Buffy (and Angel) quotes in real-life? Even after all these years, its still pretty cool.
I bet when you say, "Out for a walk...bitch" you automatically count the words on your fingers like Spike did. 😂

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
Buffy was cute but there is no season where she was the best-looking girl on the screen
Except for season 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 and S1 of Angel. Also, season 2, 3 and 5 of Angel, because even though she does not appear, hearing her name makes me picture her in my head.

Amber Bunny Slippers
Amber Bunny Slippers
BUFFY BUFFY BUFFY 😛
A lot of people are sold on the idea of family, cooperating and working together as equals whereas Buffy had people around her who were basically her minions. Sure, they were volunteers but they did not do things together acting as one unit.
True a lot of people who love Charmed admit it's because of the sister's bond which put the notion "family" above everything else including all the supernaturam stuff whereas in Buffy it's the friendship that is more developed and some people have the feeling the supernatural stuff is more important so they can't connect.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Amber Bunny Slippers and anyone else who is interested, as per reply #8 I want to get you started on Rose McGowan.

What attracted viewers?
In Charmed the girls often wore flimsy tops, that attracted lots of male and female viewers. The subject matter was glossed over to make it okay for viewers.

In BTVS a couple of girls wore short skirts, even though it was written for a younger audience it seemed more about the horror than Charmed.
Compare the tales of the Source to the tales of the First.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
Reposted from Fansided

5 Reasons ‘Charmed’ Is Still So Popular

It Focused on Family Over Supernatural
The earlier seasons of Charmed were so popular because of the focus on family. The series was about three sisters who happened to be witches. While the show later focused on the supernatural aspect more than the family one, the original fans never forgot about the sisterly love. The Halliwell sisters would always put each other first in the earlier days.

This focus was clear from the very beginning. Prue and Phoebe may have had their family issues, but they would always be there for each other and the feared losing one another. They helped fans realize that a sisterly bond could never be truly broken.

There aren’t many shows that keep the family bond throughout. Supernatural is probably the closest, which is why it has lasted for so long. In fact, Supernatural and Charmed have another thing in common when it comes to family: their fanbases are a family.

There Was a Sister for All Personalities
Each Halliwell sister had her own personality. There was literally something for every single person watching the show. The elder siblings of families would understand Prue’s need to protect her younger sisters and put innocents before her own life. Younger siblings would understand that wayward, unfocused mentality as they found their way through life.

This wasn’t just a show for people who were still finding themselves. There were characters there for people with careers and drive, even if they weren’t necessarily in a career they enjoyed. Prue made a point that she took a career that would support the family because she had to, not because she wanted to.

There were elements of fantasy to take a viewer out of the real world for an hour every week, too.

Real Life and Fantasy Mixed Together Perfectly
Let’s not forget that Charmed managed to blend fantasy and real life. Where the likes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Dark Angel focused more on the fantasy element – always having some sort of big bad to fight – Charmed took a different angle. There was drama between the sisters, their boyfriends/significant others, and the innocents that they would meet along the way.

We actually got to see the sisters at work or at college. We had the chance to learn more about them and their friends – although that dropped off in later years. Fans got to see the human element to the Halliwells, something that many other shows at the time would forget about.

The evil that they would fight would help the sisters to learn something in their real lives. They would get over fears, learn more about their deceased ancestors, and even learn more about their sisterly bond.

It Proved an All-Female Lead Was Possible
There was something to be said about the 90s and girl power. TV started taking risks with female role models, such as Max in Dark Angel and Buffy in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. However, one thing that none of the shows did was have an all-female lead.

Charmed was a game-changer. At the time when doors seemed to be closing for women on TV, this was the longest-running show with an all-female lead. It was only taken over by Desperate Housewives by two episodes a few years later.

There was this proof that a show didn’t need a male lead to become popular. It could be argued that shows like Charmed led the way for shows like Pretty Little Liars and Reign, where the females (and females of power) are the stars.

It Wasn’t Afraid to Take Risks
There were seasons of Charmed that definitely didn’t work. There were moments that fans rolled their eyes, but they stuck with the show because they were engrossed in the lives of the Halliwell sisters – and the lone Matthews half-sister in the last five seasons.

One good thing about some of the bad moments was that the show was always able to move forward. The showrunners weren’t afraid to take risks to draw in new audiences and try out something different. They weren’t afraid to bring in grey characters – in a time that TV was black and white. The network and showrunners were willing to keep people guessing and twist even the most likeable or hated characters into something completely unexpected.

Charmed was one of those shows that was able to push the limits. This opened the doors to so many other shows to do the same, and helps to keep fans drawn to the show as they watch episodes over and over again.

One of those risks was to bring in half-sister Paige when Shannen Doherty left the show at the end of Season 3. There’s still no confirmation as to why Doherty left, but there are plenty of theories. Whatever the reason, the network could have cancelled the show but instead worked with the showrunners to take a risk of introducing a long-lost half-sister. This could have completely jumped the shark, but it worked and fans were drawn in. Sure, some missed Prue but Paige was there to learn more about and fans grew to love her.

The type of storytelling that makes Charmed still so popular isn’t around much anymore. There isn’t room for it on primetime TV. The good news is that it’s available on Netflix, bringing younger generations of fans every year as they watch the shows their older siblings, parents, and even grandparents watch.

Let’s not forget that Charmed managed to blend fantasy and real life. Where the likes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Dark Angel focused more on the fantasy element – always having some sort of big bad to fight – Charmed took a different angle. There was drama between the sisters, their boyfriends/significant others, and the innocents that they would meet along the way.
I disagree with that.. Buffy is also about real life, tons of metaphor are on the show to prove that.. I agree that maybe Charmed was more direct and Buffy more subtle but that's the only difference on that point.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
tons of metaphor are on the show to prove that..
Some could argue that the use of metaphor is what prevents it from being "real life" as it's focus was never on real life but whatever mystical obstacle that Buffy had to conquer in that episode/season. The only time Buffy was really focused on "real life" seems to be season 6 and that was but a few episodes.

Some could argue that the use of metaphor is what prevents it from being "real life" as it's focus was never on real life but whatever mystical obstacle that Buffy had to conquer in that episode/season.
But we can also say that on Charmed. It also used metaphor a lot

Black Thorn
Frankly, I found Buffy to have more realistic life situations than Charmed; remove the supernatural element, and you have a show about a head strong girl from another school who's just trying to fit in her new environment. Even without the demons, vampires, and witches, the show had some excellent stories...in fact, I'd wager that it would've been a hit even without the spooky stuff. Buffy gets expelled from her school and begins a new life at Sunnydale High. She makes friends and enemies, has a principal who's out to get her, a much older boyfriend, a distracted mother, an absent father, etc etc.

Remove the supernatural from Charmed, and you have a story about three sisters living in San Francisco; nothing else is even remotely realistic. Charmed just doesn't work without the witchy theme. Buffy, on the other hand, definitely could have. Basically, its like a grilled cheese vs. filet mignon.

Last edited:

Taake

Not a witch
Staff member
Black Thorn
I watched Charmed from time to time. The strange point with Charmed was the sisters showing off their breasts to each other when they were in their house. Even then, they never brought up how undressed they were to each other. If my sisters did the same, we would have brought up the issue within no time.
Lol, yeah it can bother me too when they have tops showing off half their bra or what not, but asking why it's not brought up is like asking why people weren't telling Carrie on Sex in the City that she looked like an idiot half of the time - it's fashion! I'll borrow @Ethan Reigns point - they were glamorous... with amazing bodies to boot. It's a bit of wish-fullfillment to watch it I think. Buffy dresses nicely but like a normal person would. But the Charmed ones outfits are a show of their own. I think that's part of the appeal of the series... And I'm sure one or two male viewers and lesbians were more than pleased with some eye-candy ;)

They owned the P3 without having any problem with demons there. The demons always happened at the house. Different then with Buffy.
Disagree, I feel like there was demon activity there all the time.

Faith 2019

Slayer vs Slayer
Lol, yeah it can bother me too when they have tops showing off half their bra or what not, but asking why it's not brought up is like asking why people weren't telling Carrie on Sex in the City that she looked like an idiot half of the time - it's fashion! I'll borrow @Ethan Reigns point - they were glamorous... with amazing bodies to boot. It's a bit of wish-fullfillment to watch it I think. Buffy dresses nicely but like a normal person would. But the Charmed ones outfits are a show of their own. I think that's part of the appeal of the series... And I'm sure one or two male viewers and lesbians were more than pleased with some eye-candy ;)

Disagree, I feel like there was demon activity there all the time.
Charmed, is the only TV show having publicity photos of women showing off their breasts, and at the same time pressing their breasts into each other. It is more or less telling, even that they are sisters, there is a feeling of sister incest with each other. Strange, the fans have not brought into sister incest. But with Buffy, Buffy and Faith with the fan base thought of as being lesbian fan art.

Amber Bunny Slippers
Amber Bunny Slippers
You must've been watching a different show than I was, because I NEVER saw anything sexual between the sisters. 😒
Top Bottom