• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Why did buffy leave Sunnydale and not stay with her friends

Gibby11

Potential
I finished buffy season and I have no clue why she left the town and not sleep with xander or willow or someone please explain also anyone else hear the I need a hug part watch this if u missed it 😂

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
I presume you mean at the end of Season 2. Joyce had told Buffy that if she walked out that door, she was not welcome to come back. Buffy took her at her word but she had to stop Angel from activating the Acathla spell. Snyder had expelled her, so she had no ties to the school anymore. She had just consigned her lover to hell in order to stop Acathla. She was not attracted to Xander as a lover, only as a friend. (This would change in the comics, but by then, Xander had moved on.) Willow did not know she was a lesbian at the time and there was nothing saying that Buffy was although that also changes in the comics.

If by sleep with Xander or Willow meaning she crashed at their houses, she would still have their opinions to deal with and she had to get away from everyone else's opinions.

thrasherpix

Scooby
She was wanted by the police. (Even if charges of murder were dropped, she still assaulted police officers so they'd still be after her, and even if she wasn't wanted, they'd want to ask her questions that she couldn't answer without getting herself into more trouble.) Buffy's mother also told her to leave.

The only place I could see her staying is with Giles, and the police would likely look for her there thanks to Snyder.

Her heart was utterly broken, and as far as she's concerned, she just did worse than kill someone who meant everything to her. Most people aren't going to to feel better through sex after that. I expect even Faith wouldn't be comforted, though she might seek it out anyway (but Buffy is not Faith).

In case it needs to be said, love and lust are very different things. You can lust for people you hate, let alone don't love. (Granted, Joss and Marti both seemed to find this a difficult concept to understand, at least to put into a story.) You can love others without feeling any sort of lust.

Xander and Willow were firmly in the latter camp of people she loved but did not feel lust for.

And trying to think, but Buffy has never been into casual sex. Not even season 6 counts as casual sex (even if it was, it was years away after significant life changes.)

On top of that, there'd be the emotional trauma of what happened when she had sex with Angel (as the old saying goes, a cat that jumps on a hot burner won't jump on another, nor a cold one, either). That is, on a gut level she'd fear what happened with Angel (turning evil, death following, then sending him or her to hell) would happen again. Not until she processed it. Plus, abandonment issues which all of this would aggravate.

In any case, she'd need time to deal. She couldn't with anyone there, nor were there hotlines to call (even if they were, it wouldn't mean they're any good).

Gibby11

Potential
She was wanted by the police. (Even if charges of murder were dropped, she still assaulted police officers so they'd still be after her, and even if she wasn't wanted, they'd want to ask her questions that she couldn't answer without getting herself into more trouble.) Buffy's mother also told her to leave.

The only place I could see her staying is with Giles, and the police would likely look for her there thanks to Snyder.

Her heart was utterly broken, and as far as she's concerned, she just did worse than kill someone who meant everything to her. Most people aren't going to to feel better through sex after that. I expect even Faith wouldn't be comforted, though she might seek it out anyway (but Buffy is not Faith).

In case it needs to be said, love and lust are very different things. You can lust for people you hate, let alone don't love. (Granted, Joss and Marti both seemed to find this a difficult concept to understand, at least to put into a story.) You can love others without feeling any sort of lust.

Xander and Willow were firmly in the latter camp of people she loved but did not feel lust for.

And trying to think, but Buffy has never been into casual sex. Not even season 6 counts as casual sex (even if it was, it was years away after significant life changes.)

On top of that, there'd be the emotional trauma of what happened when she had sex with Angel (as the old saying goes, a cat that jumps on a hot burner won't jump on another, nor a cold one, either). That is, on a gut level she'd fear what happened with Angel (turning evil, death following, then sending him or her to hell) would happen again. Not until she processed it. Plus, abandonment issues which all of this would aggravate.

In any case, she'd need time to deal. She couldn't with anyone there, nor were there hotlines to call (even if they were, it wouldn't mean they're any good).
no I didn't mean sleep with them in same bed xander and willow just like in house as friends not lovers

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Story wise, Joss wanted to write about the emotional aftermath of Buffy's trauma and actions in the season finale, and there's no real good way of doing that without sending Buffy away for the summer. It also allows ME to dispense with the stupid consequences, like, did anyone really think the police were still searching for Buffy regarding her involvement in Kendra's death?

Besides, it was the 90s, you should be happy the story actually had an ending, and the cliffhanger was just a set up for next season, as opposed to "Mr Worf, don't set Agent Mulder on fire for saying "Rachel" and you only get an ending four months later after baseball season is over. But it's still the art of the cliffhanger, you ensure people will talk about the series over the long teenage summer well into early September.

telperion66

Potential
Buffy was understandably heartbroken that she had to kill Angel and send him to hell. (Or so she believed she had done before he was "sent back").

I think her melancholic state at this time was very powerful television, and brought out the the best (or at least my favourite performances) of a heartbroken Buffy.
The episode after sending Angel to hell, 'Anne', gives us a morose and detached Buffy, which brought out a great performance of angst by Sarah Michelle Gellar. Anyone that has experienced heartbreak could relate to what she was portraying here.

Angel was the love of Buffy's life. She couldn't deal. She had to get the heck away from Sunnydale to experience the personal growth of those emotions (of killing Angel, and just dealing with that pain, all by her lonesome).

I believe the love she had with Angel was too powerful to just carry on and pretend that everything was OK after he was sent to hell. Xander couldn't help her, and neither could her best friend, Willow. It was just something she had to deal with on her own until she found the strength within herself to come back to Sunnydale and "resume" her normal life as best she could.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I know that storywise they couldn't have done it, but can you imagine if Buffy returned because of the news...Joyce's mask had drawn the living dead and she was now one herself. Even worse, she might return to find Joyce was the new Big Bad of Sunnydale (or rather the Big Bad was using Joyce's corpse as its vessel). The angst just writes itself, and can also help explain why the police were no longer interested (as many cops would've fallen to the living dead so most would be new, the few remaining far too grateful for Buffy showing up and the problem then going away). I don't think even the Angelus arc could've outdone that.

Top Bottom