• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question Why did Buffy try to keep Spike's lighter?

genghiskhan

Potential
Black Thorn
I think I'm probably being really stupid, but I still don't understand why Buffy picked up his lighter, put it in her pocket and proceeded to lie about it in the episode 'gone'. It's really bugging me because I can usually understand what she is doing to some extent but for this I have no idea.
Does anyone know/ have their own ideas about what she was doing or trying to do?

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Wasn't she trying to hide the lighter from other people whilst at the same time being preoccupied about Willow's addiction/moving all the mystic stuff out of the house and Dawn's moodiness. And then also wasn't the social worker visiting?

The main thing I remember about the whole lighter thing is Spike refusing to leave her home when Buffy told him to several times.

r2dh2

Never go for the kill when you can go for the pain
I think that the lighter per se was a way of showing that Willow’s addiction and Buffy’s addiction were mirroring each other to some extent. We see Buffy taking the lighter from the couch and putting it in a box when she’s explaining to Dawn that anything related to magic could be a temptation for Willow. Buffy sees the lighter and obviously remembers her hot night with Spike – that’s the temptation for her.

How and why it made it from the box to her pants, I don’t know. Maybe to show the audience that she was gonna keep indulging her temptation despite her own words? Or maybe I’m reading too much into it, and it was merely a plot device for making Spike touch her in the following scenes?

Willow Tara
Willow Tara
Yes! Thought that too!

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
I think Buffy meant to give it back to Spike but then didn’t because she didn’t want it to seem like she was holding on to the lighter and the time they spent together. She didn’t want to be caught red handed with it I’d say.

SunnydaleGlitz

Potential
Sineya
You're spot on @r2dh2, it was meant to parallel Willow's addiction by keeping away all objects that reminded her of her temptation. The lighter represented her hot night with Spike, so Buffy places it in the box but then ends up keeping it because temptation proves, you know, tempting.

Spike ostensibly arrives to look for his lighter (well, that's part of the reason, the main reason is that it's also an excuse to see Buffy), and Buffy could have returned it right then and he'd have had no excuse to linger (or would've had to think up a new excuse in haste.) The lighter was the main reason he said he'd come ("don't flatter yourself love, bloody fond of that lighter.")

When he asks Buffy about the lighter she quickly (and nervously) lies to him: "Haven't seen it." She didn't want him to know she was still holding on to it. As to WHY she was still holding on to it...well, she obviously had conflicted feelings. That's how the whole scene was set up.

Last edited:
r2dh2
r2dh2
You took the words right out of my mouth. I also remembered later on that she had
deliberately lied to him about not seeing it when he arrived looking for it.
TriBel
TriBel
Completely agree SG! :)
Willow Tara
Willow Tara
100% agree! That's what I always thought too!

white avenger

white avenger
Maybe the lighter is some kind of metaphor for what Buffy was actually trying to get from Spike. I've heard that the final scene in "Chosen," when Buffy and Spike's hands burst into flame was actually him giving her back the fire that she first sang about in "Once More With Feeling."

Or maybe she was just wanting it in case Faith ever came back to town and needed a light.

Then again, antique Zippo lighters command a premium with collectors. Maybe she just planned on pawning it.

Nah, Spike probably was just practicing a little slight of hand, and he planted it there earlier just as an excuse to come by.

TriBel
TriBel
The metaphor works. Fire's there from the beginning. It's still there in S11. Don't know why you didn't quote your own banner! :)

Dora

Scooby
Because she loved her time with Spike and wants more of him but feels shame because of it.
Yep she loved it so much she cut her own hair because Spike said he liked it while he sexaully assaulted her despite Buffy saying no and called her goldilocks....it was just one of the crap things in season sex that made no sense

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Spike has called Buffy goldilocks before, back in Season 4.

I think she did intend on giving him back his lighter but then bailed on it at the last minute which then backed her into a corner.

Top Bottom