• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Why did Giles think it was a good idea to leave Buffy?

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
As people have mentioned. there was a real life reason.

Other than that: I think this is one of the examples where the show's desire to be a metaphor for real life clashes with its internal logic. On the one hand, Buffy is an adult, so she needs to learn to take care of herself. On the other hand, Buffy is a superhero fighting against the Apocalypse and could use all the help she can get.

I love Giles, but he was never the most dependable or caring person in the world. The only person he really cares about is Buffy, and even that is only sometimes. I don't think him moving back to England is out of character.
Yes. This. Buffy is an adult and she needs to learn how to get on with it. (Also, Giles isn't her Watcher anymore, if I recall correctly) In my experience, constant help just weakens a person. Sooner or later, the training wheels must be removed completely.

I think of all the times that he'd mutter something under his breath, in seasons past. You know, rude things...often in response to something Buffy (or the others) said or did. I always assumed it was supposed to be funny, but on second thought, perhaps he was serious. Upon further reflection, I suddenly realise that Giles was kind of a dick. 😂

spikenbuffy

"Why can't I stay"
Because maybe she has to take her responsabilities as a sister who has to guide Dawn, in early S6 Buffy isn't even capable to take a decision and tell Dawn not to go out by herself at night or to be more strict/have a serious conversation with Dawn, she wants Giles to talk to Dawn. I mean, come on Buffy, Dawn is your sister, what are you afraid of to tell Dawn to go in school and not be late.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Because maybe she has to take her responsabilities as a sister who has to guide Dawn, in early S6 Buffy isn't even capable to take a decision and tell Dawn not to go out by herself at night or to be more strict/have a serious conversation with Dawn, she wants Giles to talk to Dawn. I mean, come on Buffy, Dawn is your sister, what are you afraid of to tell Dawn to go in school and not be late.
To be fair to Buffy, she'd been dragged out of heaven and brought back to Sunnydale, yet couldn't tell her friends the truth because she doesn't want them to feel bad. Everyone expects Buffy to shake off the fact that she'd died and been resurrected. Also Buffy's only 21 and is having to juggle everything. She's got to save the world, work a dead-end job to keep a roof over her and Dawn's head, and play "mom" to a bratty kid sister who is old enough to pull her own weight around the house.

Giles couldn't stick around forever, fair enough, but to find out Buffy was dragged out of heaven then go "you're on your own, deal with it" is incredibly out of character for Giles considering he was planning to leave in Season 5 but chose to stick around before Buffy died. Now that she actually needs him, he stomps off back to England. AT least give Giles a proper reason for having to leave rather than the crap excuse used in the show.

spikenbuffy

"Why can't I stay"
To be fair to Buffy, she'd been dragged out of heaven and brought back to Sunnydale, yet couldn't tell her friends the truth because she doesn't want them to feel bad. Everyone expects Buffy to shake off the fact that she'd died and been resurrected. Also Buffy's only 21 and is having to juggle everything. She's got to save the world, work a dead-end job to keep a roof over her and Dawn's head, and play "mom" to a bratty kid sister who is old enough to pull her own weight around the house.

Giles couldn't stick around forever, fair enough, but to find out Buffy was dragged out of heaven then go "you're on your own, deal with it" is incredibly out of character for Giles considering he was planning to leave in Season 5 but chose to stick around before Buffy died. Now that she actually needs him, he stomps off back to England. AT least give Giles a proper reason for having to leave rather than the crap excuse used in the show.

Well I was not saying that Giles is all good, it was maybe not the right time for him to leave but Buffy has to make decisions about Dawn like have a serious conversation with Dawn about school, she kept relying to Giles even to say to Dawn not to go out by night by Halloween. What were she afraid of to talk to Dawn? Giles decided to leave after that and it's not like Giles left Buffy alone, he knew that Buffy has the others (Xander, Willow.....) that stay in Sunnydale with her, in his head at that time, Giles didn't left Buffy alone.

Top Bottom