• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Why didn't Buffy ever mention Wolfram&Hart in her show Seasons 1-3?

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Because Wolfram and Heart was only thought up for Angel Season 1?

If Spike could afford it, he could've hired them to sue the initiative on his behalf over the chip :p

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
But realistically speaking Wolfram&Hart was around longer than Buffy was around. Los Angeles is her home town. Buildings just don't seems to come out of thin air to me.

She only gave a vague response in Sanctuary when Kate was taking Angel away.

thrasherpix

Scooby
Why would she mention them? She's just a kid. I'm sure her parents didn't get their divorce lawyers through them either.

Or maybe you mean the show...I'm still not sure why they'd pop up. Giles could incidentally mention them, but I can't think of where. The Mayor is the only one I could think of that might introduce them (and I bet by then the writers had thought of Wolfram & Hart as they were obviously getting ready to give Angel his own show that season) but not sure where and why he would

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
It makes no sense for the lawyers to make themselves aware to the Slayer, either, they have no beef with her; as long as she doesn't get 'in the way' of their plans, what is she but a small fly they have no need to swat just yet?

W

WillowFromBuffy

I'm sure her parents didn't get their divorce lawyers through them either.
Why not? How else did Joyce afford such a big house?
Couldn't help myself.

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
Yeah, but the property values in Sunnydale. Still, it's funny to think about W&H involved in divorce disputes, that could be its own series...

telperion66

Potential
I thought of this to be an interesting topic to discuss considering Wolfram&Hart seemed to magically appear in Angel Season 1.
Wolfram & Hart are a very Angel-centric entity in my opinion.

They also provide a rich backdrop and narrative anchor for Angel and his ongoing story in LA.

From the exquisite performances of Christian Kane as Lindsey, to the darkened Lilah providing a deeply intriguing and dangerous counterpart for Wes in season four.

They probably had other offices situated throughout the US and globally, but for our purpose we associate them as being located in LA, where Buffy lived only as a child. Presumably W&H did not have a Sunnydale office, or if they did, it was on a lot smaller scale than their office in LA and went unnoticed by the Scooby Gang.

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
Giles for sure would have known about Wolfram and Hart, as an organization like that should have been on the Watchers Councils radar. My theory is that the WC decided that their focus with the Slayer would be most productive on the hellmouth rather than demon activity elsewhere.
It was always my assumption that Giles knew, as well, which was practically made canon in Damage, but why would he tell the Slayer about a threat she couldn't do anything about anyway? They're way too big, especially for a Slayer who doesn't have a good working relationship with the Council.

brinkster130
brinkster130
Yeah, it just seems like it didn't make sense for Buffy, Giles, and the Scoobies to worry about W&H...unless they came into Sunnydale.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
But realistically speaking Wolfram&Hart was around longer than Buffy was around. Los Angeles is her home town. Buildings just don't seems to come out of thin air to me.

She only gave a vague response in Sanctuary when Kate was taking Angel away.
Dracula's castle came out of thin air in one night. The people of Sunnydale were in deep denial about everything that was going on.

Ceadsearc03

Potential
I would assume that she only lived in LA briefly after being called, and she clearly wasn’t super perceptive of things going on before being called, not to mention being young.

After she was in Sunnydale, they probably wouldn’t have been on her radar unless they were doing something in Sunnydale or starting an apocalypse, and I think she had enough to worry about that people who may have known (like Giles) were not going to bring it up. We already know there were vampires and bad things happening other places, too, that she was clearly not addressing but I assume Sunnydale being the Hellmouth was considered to be most important (and also, clearly, where she lived.)

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
t makes no sense for the lawyers to make themselves aware to the Slayer, either, they have no beef with her; as long as she doesn't get 'in the way' of their plans, what is she but a small fly they have no need to swat just yet?
I understand that, but I just can't help but wonder why Buffy was aware of the other evil in her home town. It makes me wish that they would explain Buffy's past in LA more in her show.

but I assume Sunnydale being the Hellmouth was considered to be most important (and also, clearly, where she lived.)
It was important. I'm not saying that it isn't.

Dracula's castle came out of thin air in one night. The people of Sunnydale were in deep denial about everything that was going on
Did he move there?

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
That's Season 5 W&H you are thinking of. Season 1 W&H was super mysterious, and gave the vibe that "Special Projects" was a pet project of the "Senior Partners," and outside of need to know, nobody had idea of their true nature. I remember how shocking it was to learn the place had mystical barriers and full knowledge of the supernatural. By season three, it's amazing an organization of this size and scope was unknown to the Watcher's is rather hard to believe.

Re: Divorce; Does Family Law offer a potential for increasing human suffering and misery?

thrasherpix

Scooby
Re: Divorce; Does Family Law offer a potential for increasing human suffering and misery?
Oh god yes it does. It just seemed to me that for it to be worth their time magnifying that then they'd want souls signed away, demons and spells used (playing both sides off each other), etc. Or lots of money which only the wealthy can afford, and it might've made for a good episode on Angel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom