• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Why didn't Giles de-rat Amy?

In the season 2 episode Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered.. Amy turns Buffy into a rat but Giles helps her to reverse the spell.... why could Giles help de-rat Amy in season 3?? he must have known the spell to use.

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
I think he probably tried but maybe Amy used a different spell and he just didn't know how to, I don't think Willow used a spell as such when she deratted Amy, Willow had more power then and found her own way of doing it.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Giles wasn't that good a spell caster. It's established that he has plenty of raw talent that he never really developed because, I guess, Watcher's are discouraged from using arcane power due to the dangers of corruption (see Mrs. Post). And Giles was selected to be a Watcher at a young age.
So Giles was seriously out of practice wheras Amy (and Willow), whilst not as skilled, had more 'magick-ness' with which to work their will; turning people into furry critters and whatnot.

Taake

Bella
Staff member
Black Thorn
Can it be that he also, I mean not to sound cold, but maybe he kind of forgot? They had so much else going on with the Mayor, and after they were out of high school he wasn't around students all day, or even the Scoobies, so maybe it never seemed like such a pressing matter to focus on? Out of sight, out of mind. That sounds terrible, but finding out how to de-rat Amy probably wasn't on the top list of priorities, like ever.

MarieVampSlayer
MarieVampSlayer
Hahah oups!
thetopher
thetopher
Terribly sorry, I forgot a bit. :)
Evil Seal
Evil Seal
This goes so well with your avatar !
I like to think that he tried but simply wasn't powerful enough (Amy was trying to turn one--and maybe many--into rats in a moment of passion and that perhaps put too much juice into it for anyone not a trained witch to undo, so when Giles tried the spell just fizzled), but I could easily see Giles deciding to leave Amy as a rat to prevent future problems with her, as a warning to Willow about messing with magic, and...most of all...revenge for having turned Buffy into a rat. Though he's usually good with self-control, he does hold grudges, including against Ethan who nearly got Buffy killed with his magic much as Amy would later do.

Black Thorn
Why didn't Mr. Giles de-rat Amy? He's a cold-hearted bastard that is only focused on the big picture and Amy was irrelevant and not worth his time.

I speculate that Amy was dabbling in powers far beyond her ken, and was doing so without the aid of a master. Like turning yourself into an animal was chapter three, she read the first two pages, or something, and her spells were working because of the Hellmouth, not her own skills. In addition, Giles isn't a witch. Remember, Amy was invoking Hecate, classical goddess of Witchcraft and detizen of the underworld. Giles, as a recovering black magic user, probably didn't want to go anywhere near her, assuming she would listen at all, being a man and all. Odds are, Giles and Willow did everything they could, failed, and Will tabled the issue until Tara left.

Why didn't Mr. Giles de-rat Amy? He's a cold-hearted bastard that is only focused on the big picture and Amy was irrelevant and not worth his time.
Totally agree may I add selfish cold hearted bastard, he did not try to help Amy when he had lots of time S4 and S5 and S6 just left everybody..... bastard

Having just seen BBB again, I noticed that Amy was the one to de-rat Buffy, not Giles, though Giles removed the love spell that was on Xander. That could be taken to mean that Giles simply didn't have the power to de-rat anyone.

I guessing the writers may have had several stories on how to re-introduce Amy back to the Buffyverse but couldn't squeeze her character back in until s6.

I guessing the writers may have had several stories on how to re-introduce Amy back to the Buffyverse but couldn't squeeze her character back in until s6.
And so goes the rick/reward issue of being a guest or recurring character. If they need you they use you, but if they don't they don't care barring the odd token reference that doesn't even need a character to be on camera.

Ironically, aside from her brief on screen cameo in the early half of season 4, she was considered among the characters that where originally wanted as part of a larger ensemble cast for the Buffy season 4 finale, Restless. Had things gone differently, Restless was supposed to include among others, return appearances of Angel, Cordelia, Larry, Amy, Faith, and Jenny Calendar. David Boreanaz and Charisma Carpenter apparently where not able to appear due to scheduling issues with "Angel" the show, and I'm guessing the others where either unwilling to return, or in the case of Faith and Amy, probably just a case of the two actresses not being available due to other commitments. From what I've seen online, Amy, along with Cordelia and Larry, would have been used in Willow's dream sequence.

Top Bottom