• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Why do characters use crossbow bolts tipped with metal points?

ccbaker18

Townie
it occurs to me the crossbow would be more effective against vamps if they sharpened the wood of the bolts into a point instead of using metal broadheads,then it would always kill a vamp as its like a thin staking implement fired as a projectile

Evil Seal

The Blake Bortles of whatever's going on right now
I have often wondered the same thing. I guess arrows to the heart still work if they're made of wood? Apparently the tip isn't what kills the vampires? I honestly don't know if it was an oversight by the props department/director/editor or if it has some kind of explanation

white avenger

white avenger
it occurs to me the crossbow would be more effective against vamps if they sharpened the wood of the bolts into a point instead of using metal broadheads,

The technical reason that crossbow bolts have metal heads is to protect the shaft from shattering on impact, plus the heavier tip, combined with the fletching, or feathers, at the rear enhances balance and accuracy, as well as providing enhanced penetration.

Also, maybe Buffy's bolts have silver heads, making them effective against werewolves as well as vampires.

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
The sharper the point, the more likely it will penetrate clothing, skin, bone, muscle. All that is needed for dusting a vampire is wood to enter the heart. A pencil would work too.... but unless you have strong magics behind the pencil, it probably won't make it thru the rib cage. If it hits bone, it will break.

The sharpest wood point will dull at least somewhat when it impacts bone. While bone also will dull metal to a degree, the harder the metal the less effect it will have. Most modern arrow heads are actually little bits of engineering -- they aren't just pointy and razor sharp, they actually well balanced for flight and they are designed to cut on impact in way wood simply cannot. If you aren't going to get a second chance, you want to be sure your arrow goes in.

Another thing to consider? Buffy wasn't just hunting vampires. While wood kills vampires, some demons are likely scaly or have harder hides that require more penetrative force than wood could give. Some probably are killed by iron or other metals.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I believe fanon at the time was that the bolts were dipped in holy water. But seriously, the x-bow worked like once or twice. The vampire/house cat was actually shocked the bolt hit the target, and died from shock.

Top Bottom