• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Why do people not like Wood & Faith together?

spikenbuffy

"Hi honey, I'm home"
Staff member
Why do people hate Wood & Faith as a couple in S7?

I for one thought that it was good for Faith, after all her bad experiences with men (and who never had a man that really cared about her), to meet a man that wanted more than just a one night stand, a man that could care for her & be supportive. And Wood seemed to be all that.

Faith in Chosen seemed that she could give him a chance to have a date with her & I thought that it was good to see and hopeful for Faith.

Last edited:

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
I did like Robin and Faith together. I thought he might manage to prove to Faith that not all men are just after sex and that maybe after she gets bouncy with a guy, there may be more to him than that. She also seemed happy to see him stay alive - the first guy she had had a positive reaction to since the mayor.

Priceless

Scooby
I thought Robin was using Faith as a mother substitute, he wasn't particularly nice to her and it seemed like he was using her. They could have been written slightly differently and I'd have been on board, but what we got did nothing for me.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
The Magi are withholding judgement. Seriously, Faith is notoriously promiscuous and was just in a woman's prison for three years, and while I'm sure Kennedy made a pass at her, Wood was the only male in the house who wasn't "Questioning" or a father figure. Hmm, two gay jokes in one sentence, must be about 2003. In any case, they weren't a couple. It was more like Faith hooked up with a virgin, and he thought he had a special connection. There's no build, there's no organic component, it's just a relationship because of poor pacing. But really, not enough time to develop the relationship.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Well a lot of people don't like Robin so by default probably wouldn't like Robin with Faith :)

Pretty much this, however I would also add in the way he treated Buffy post-LMPTM. He and Kennedy instigated the mutiny, and given his obsession with Slayers, it's kind of creepy how he moves onto Faith once Buffy falls off the pedestal he put her on, The fact he then has sex with Faith in Buffy's bed is just all kinds of wrong., then he undermines Faith's sexual performance (something she prides herself on) to then wrangle her into agreeing to some sort of relationship with him. I still think he deliberately gave Buffy bad advice, though didn't realise how bad the outcome would be, just because he wanted to knock her down a peg or two after she wouldn't let him kill Spike.

Bop
Bop
Well I can understand Robin holding a grudge with Buffy after she sided with Spike in the way she did

Nondenomifan

Nondenomifan
I guess I'm not a people because I think they're good for each other. They each take each other down a peg or two when needed and keep each other in check if one of them gets too hot-headed (but when does that happen? Ha...ha...ha...). The only exception is when they both were against Buffy, but pretty much everyone other than Spike and (Tom Lenk's character, whose name escapes me for some reason) was against her at that point.

nightshade
nightshade
Andrew

AstridDante

Potential
Oh I really wasn’t keen on his character at all. That aside I also didn’t see the chemistry or spark between them and them hooking up just seemed so random just to throw two characters together.

katmobile

Scooby
I guess I'm not a people because I think they're good for each other. They each take each other down a peg or two when needed and keep each other in check if one of them gets too hot-headed (but when does that happen? Ha...ha...ha...). The only exception is when they both were against Buffy, but pretty much everyone other than Spike and (Tom Lenk's character, whose name escapes me for some reason) was against her at that point.
Actually Andrew wasn't - he was with Spike when the mutiny happened and just kinda hung around and helped afterwards. Spike literally forgot about him after he stormed out to find Buffy. Theoretically he could have tailed Spike but he couldn't have kept up with Spike and wouldn't have been welcome. So if Andrew picks a side it's by default.

white avenger

white avenger
I have no problem with Faith and Wood as a couple, per se, but I do think that Wood was wasted in the role the way that it was written. If he had been presented properly, I would have, simply because (and I know I sound a lot like Giles here) I wanted so much more for her. See, I was prepared all along for the sudden reveal that Wood was actually a minion of the First Evil, infiltrating the gang, mainly because of how he seemed popped up at just the right moment with just the most perfect back story. He would have been absolutely fantastic in a role like that. (Just imaine Spike fanally discovering that Wood and Caleb were actually in cahoots, but not being able to convince anyone because they would think that he was just trying to get back at Wood because of the attempted staking) Unfortunately, Joss didn't consult with me on that one, so we just have to settle for the watered down character that we wound up with.

Last edited:

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Another thing to consider is this. My understanding is that an untitled Faith Project, or "Faith, The Vampire Slayer" was under consideration as a spin-off/successor series. I mean, I am not saying this with any confidence, there were so many swirling rumors of Buffy spin offs in 2003, aside from Ripper and the Animated Series, which we know were rather far in development, Willow, Dawn, Faith and Spike projects were rumored, who knows how far any of those latter ones went. If this is true, then Wood and Faith may have been a back door pilot, rather than a story or character driven plot development, and was designed to appeal to Network Executives, not the viewing audience The real question should be, was the interaction between Faith and Wood something you, as an executive of either the UPN or the WB, would finance a pilot episode for? Again, if that's true, they didn't come to terms. My guess is, Joss was becoming more difficult to work with as his empire contracted (Which we know from how Angel was canceled), and paying Kuzui/Sandollar for the licensing fee (which nobody liked), when you could just use or develop your own, like "Smallville."

white avenger

white avenger
My understanding is that an untitled Faith Project, or "Faith, The Vampire Slayer" was under consideration as a spin-off/successor series.
If this is true, then Wood and Faith may have been a back door pilot, rather than a story or character driven plot development,

At the time, from what I read. Eliza was considering two different projects. when "Buffy" ended. One was "Tru Calling," and the other was Faith based series that would have basically been "Faith on a motorcycle running from the police and fighting vampires wherever she went." ( I don't know if that was Joss' idea, or the studio's ) in which case, I doubt that Wood would have had a part. She chose the former, which didn't last out its second season. I don't know if she was ever offered a crossover onto the final Season of "Angel," like James was, or if maybe there was a choice between the two, and James won out. I recall that she also did the voice over for her character in the Buffy video game.

Priceless

Scooby
I struggle to remember any scenes where he was mean to her.. the ones I remember he was actually nice to her.. maybe you can refresh my memory as I’m sure you rewatch season 7 more than me.
Overall I just thought he was condescending and not very supportive of her. He put her down sexually, criticised her looks and felt the need to explain what Achilles heel meant. It was all pretty jokey, but it still seemed a bit too Pygmalion for me. He wanted to change her too much.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
@white avenger; Faith on a motorcycle evading the police would be a similar scenario as "The Incredible Hulk," or the "A-Team." I could see Wood fitting into either scenario. I agree, a Scenario more true to the character would be semi-nomadic Faith, kind of like Sarah Connor between the two good Terminator movies. But ME loves ensemble casts. I doubt a port to Angel was even discussed. I'm sure the WB would have welcomed the opportunity, but Lead Actress for a Network show isn't something you counter offer with second billing on a dying WB artifact series.

white avenger

white avenger
Faith on a motorcycle evading the police would be a similar scenario as "The Incredible Hulk," or the "A-Team." I could see Wood fitting into either scenario

It would have to be a transformation of character similar to Wesley on "Buffy" to Wes on "Angel." From the self acclaimed "snappy dresser" to the kind of rough clothed semi-nomadic life style necessary to the kind of life style such a show would require, three piece suits and perfect grooming to jeans and tee shirt and untrimmed beard, but, yeah, I could see that happening, though I've never seen that particular actor doing the scruffy road warrior sort of part. That could be interesting, if they worked the transformation into the story line of the show.,

Antho

Scooby
Overall I just thought he was condescending and not very supportive of her.
I get the reverse impression. When she replaces Buffy as the leader of the potential. He encourages her, say to her that she has the power like Buffy. After that conversation with « The first » as the mayor, faith had doubts and he gives her strength and assurance.

He put her down sexually, criticised her looks and felt the need to explain what Achilles heel meant.
The sexual thing was just a way to challenge Faith. When he said that, she just said to him that it’all over between them because it’s always only one night for her. He said that because he knew he would touch Faith’s ego and that would be enough to at least convain her to see him again.

Priceless

Scooby
I get the reverse impression. When she replaces Buffy as the leader of the potential. He encourages her, say to her that she has the power like Buffy. After that conversation with « The first » as the mayor, faith had doubts and he gives her strength and assurance.
Maybe it's my dislike of the character but I thought he was supportive of Faith so he could be the power behind the throne. It was also a way to punish Buffy for siding with Spike.

The sexual thing was just a way to challenge Faith. When he said that, she just said to him that it’all over between them because it’s always only one night for her. He said that because he knew he would touch Faith’s ego and that would be enough to at least convain her to see him again.
You could be right. He certainly understood she needed to be challenged.

Top Bottom