• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Why do so many people dislike Tara?

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
Would you have liked to have done something independent then? I always wished that she had started working at the magic shop. Would have been interesting to have seen her as a business partner of Anya!
Yup. But no, would not have wanted her to worked at the magic shop. Again, it's putting the character in a box. I feel the jokes made about what to get her for her birthday were jokes amongst the writers as well. She was nothing more than the lesbian witch who dated Willow. That is how they defined the character.

edit: The character was better as the stuttering, shy girl. At least she was unique and individual.

W

WillowFromBuffy

Yup. But no, would not have wanted her to worked at the magic shop. Again, it's putting the character in a box. I feel the jokes made about what to get her for her birthday were jokes amongst the writers as well. She was nothing more than the lesbian witch who dated Willow. That is how they defined the character.
She was a friendless orphan who escaped a domineering father and ended up with a possessive girlfriend who she had to stand up to. You have to admit that is something. A show can only carry that many central characters.

I would say that a big part of who Tara was, was that she was nobody, if that makes sense. She tried to become an independent adult after growing up in seclusion.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I wish she'd got fleshed out more, but it doesn't really make me dislike the character.
I guess for me to dislike her I'd have to think that she was a shallow caricature and annoying or something.

Zenseem

Evil, skanky and kinda gay
Black Thorn
I don't get the Tara hate but at the same time I can see why people don't like her. Does that make any sense?

People dislike her for the same reason I feel a little pissed off at the writers: they made her nothing more than Willow's girlfriend. She was a strong woman who survived an abusive family and still managed don't take crap from her abusive girlfriend. She's awesome and way more than just somebody's girlfriend but that aspect of her is rarely shown. That really pisses me off.

ChaseRules
ChaseRules
That made me mad two . She could have been so much more .

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
She was a friendless orphan who escaped a domineering father and ended up with a possessive girlfriend who she had to stand up to. You have to admit that is something. A show can only carry that many central characters.

I would say that a big part of who Tara was, was that she was nobody, if that makes sense. She tried to become an independent adult after growing up in seclusion.
I agree with you on that . She started being shy & stuttering to a independent person . She left Willow after she started hurting her with magic.
That got to mean something . Plus she was a great comfort to Dawn & Buffy so she not just Willow girlfriend . Even Spike stood up for her against her family . And this is when he didn't have a soul too.

Slayerofslayers

We're going to destroy the world. Want to come?
I really like Tara. She is a very sweet person and helped out the scoobies against villains and with things they were going through. I can relate to her character. Tara and Willow were really good together. Her character just needed to be explored and developed more. Her death is one of the ones that hurt the most especially Willow's reaction to it (when she is begging for a way to bring Tara back that gets me every time). I think that could have made for some good episodes if they focused on her character more.

ChaseRules

Sineya
Tara did have some good moments in the series . They just needed to give her more of them . But I guess they couldn't put on TV two girls loving each other . That sad . And one of the scenes that really got to me was when Willow made Tara clothes hug Willow back because they had broken up .

A lot of people keep clothes that belonged to a ex just to have something so that scene really touched me .

Blair

Vamp Blair
Sineya
I can easily see why people thought that Tara was dull, especially in comparison to the rest of the Scoobies. I guess that when she was written in, they wanted someone who was more "normal".

I loved the way they portrayed Tara's stutter. Those mannerisms aren't overly common in the stutter world (I've met a few other stutters and I seem to be the only one who closes their eyes during a bad patch) But when she loses the stutter because she's gained confidence is quite common. It's one of those conditions that will never go away, so 10 outta 10 for that from me.
I know others would find the stutter cringey, but I think it's one of those things that rarely gets portrayed well on TV.

I am amazed that Tara had the strength to walk away from Willow. Seeing how much stronger she got was awesome. I would of liked to of seen where she went after her and Willow split- where did she live?

thrasherpix

Scooby
I didn't like how dogmatic she got in season 6, but of course Willow didn't debate her at all (and a philosophical and theological debate should've been as stimulating as a historical debate she had with Buffy in season 4), she just expected to be obeyed so Willow annoyed me a lot more than Tara. It's too bad that the writers couldn't have Tara explain her reasons more as it could've been interesting (and also come off as less dogmatic), though sometimes Willow was just being downright silly in her recklessness when she had simpler ways--magickal ones at that--which would be even more effective, and Tara could've suggested things, like that light to find people Willow could easily cast rather than shifting people into another dimension for a second. But the writers were being especially heavy handed with the characters in season 6 to make the story go the direction they wanted.

And I realize Tara spoke more from the heart than the head, so I try not to hold it against her that she comes off as dogmatic rather than rational or clear headed because I know some people have a very good intuitive grasp of the situation (artists and those who must navigate abusive families or survival situations often have this way of thinking, and not only does Tara fit into that, but she's also an empathic witch able to read people at a supernatural level, so it strikes me as likely that this is true for her) but find it hard to verbalize. I have a close friend like that and I enjoy helping her find a way to verbalize what she feels, but of course Willow just expects a clear verbal explanation right away, and given how she was portrayed in season 6, Willow might've actually gotten a lot more angry if Tara had (which of course Tara would sense).

I personally didn't find her boring, though did seem more Willow's sidekick (and later Buffy's counselor) rather than a true Scooby, and I think they should've had more Tara-specific episodes (offhand, I only recall the one where her family comes when the rest are actually more Tillow centric rather than Tara). Sometimes big insecurity can alienate me, but that's the very clingy and/or paranoid (where they constantly sense insults, rejection, etc, where none is intended, and thus demand constant reassurance which I find tiresome), but Tara's insecurities didn't manifest in those specific ways so it didn't bother me.

ChaseRules

Sineya
I think that while Tara was a bit boring she was also in a sense the heart of them all . She wasn't bossy or anything but was there for ever-body.
I think if we had seen more things from her stand point then we see it different . Dawn for one was very happy having Tara around & I have a feeling Tara was there for Dawn a lot since Tara knew what it was like to lose someone like Dawn was going through.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
There are people who don't seem to like either Willow, or Tara for some strange reason?! :confused: :eek: I really don't understand those people! o_O

Alittlegrim

Stuck In The Middle
I disagree that Tara was written to be "perfect". She had clear character flaws which makes her a better character than she would have been otherwise. She is important to the show not only because of her connection to Willow, frankly that could have not been there and her role would have been similar but also to Buffy being the only one empathetic enough to figure out what was going on with Spike. She was also important to Dawn, another inexplicably hatted character, particularly at the beginning. They understood each other, neither one really being in the Scooby fold. The "do you wanna thumb-wrestle" scene is simply priceless.

J

joseph

I hear quite a few people say that Tara was horrible to Willow and that Tara was useless to the show. I heavily disagree - Tara was definitely important - especially to Buffy in Season 6. Tara was the only one who Buffy actually opened up to besides Spike. Most of the other scoobies(except Dawn) probably had no idea that Buffy was even depressed. Without Tara to open up to, Buffy could have felt a whole lot worse bottling everything up.
And as for people who say Tara was a bad girlfriend to Willow, I have to disagree with you, there, too. Tara broke up with Willow because of her magic addiction, yes, instead of trying to help her. But I really can't blame her for it. Since magic=drugs, just imagine if your girlfriend started using heroin all the time, every day, to the point where they seemed past helping. Would you stay with them? After telling them time and time again that they're doing too much and they need to stop? Also, at the point that Tara broke up with Willow, Willow didn't want help. She thought magic was just fun with no dangers involved. Only after the episode where Willow takes Dawn to Rack's does she actually begin to want to stop doing magic.
Not to mention, Tara is just a really kind person. She's almost always the one comforting people or telling people that things will be okay. Even coming from a horrible family, Tara still managed to be an angel.
So I'm wondering how people can dislike Tara?
I hear quite a few people say that Tara was horrible to Willow and that Tara was useless to the show. I heavily disagree - Tara was definitely important - especially to Buffy in Season 6. Tara was the only one who Buffy actually opened up to besides Spike. Most of the other scoobies(except Dawn) probably had no idea that Buffy was even depressed. Without Tara to open up to, Buffy could have felt a whole lot worse bottling everything up.
And as for people who say Tara was a bad girlfriend to Willow, I have to disagree with you, there, too. Tara broke up with Willow because of her magic addiction, yes, instead of trying to help her. But I really can't blame her for it. Since magic=drugs, just imagine if your girlfriend started using heroin all the time, every day, to the point where they seemed past helping. Would you stay with them? After telling them time and time again that they're doing too much and they need to stop? Also, at the point that Tara broke up with Willow, Willow didn't want help. She thought magic was just fun with no dangers involved. Only after the episode where Willow takes Dawn to Rack's does she actually begin to want to stop doing magic.
Not to mention, Tara is just a really kind person. She's almost always the one comforting people or telling people that things will be okay. Even coming from a horrible family, Tara still managed to be an angel.
So I'm wondering how people can dislike Tara?
[automerge]1521746842[/automerge]
I'm rewatching season 4 and I adore Tara at first. I'll have to see how I feel as I continue to watch but I've always really liked her character and I can't understand what there is to dislike about her.
I Love Tara, because she was the character I could relate to loved her in hush and cried at the beginning and end of newmoon rising esp the end it still gets me to make me cry to this day family is my favorite Tara, episode because my family was like that love her her death in season 6 never watched buffy after seeing red.
[automerge]1521746962[/automerge]
There are people who don't seem to like either Willow, or Tara for some strange reason?! :confused::eek: I really don't understand those people! o_O
Neither do I Love Tara and Willow and miss Kitty
[automerge]1521747794[/automerge]
I don't hate Tara but I do think she was bought in not to show how 'bad' Willow had become, but how much she had changed and grown. Tara was Willow from S1 an we'd already seen the shy sensitive girl, we didn't need a re-hash.
Sorry have to disagree with Tara was shy but she was very sweet plus the episode family when we saw how her family treated I Can relate to that character as my family, is actually like Tara family which is way I can relate to her. never watched season because she was not in it thought killing Tara was the the worst thing they ever done on the show.
[automerge]1521824781[/automerge]
I actually don't see much hate for Tara at all. She's a very popular character.
She was amazing and one of my favs ever and her death was one of the saddest in the series.
The Saddest imo only watched the following episode hoping it was Willow or dawn nightmare.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Trick

Scooby
She was still Tara; Willow's girlfriend.
True, but she does have relationships with Buffy and Dawn outside of her thing with Willow.

I don't think enough people dislike Tara for this to really be a thing. More people hate Willow funny enough;)

Top Bottom