• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Why do so many people dislike Tara?

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
True, but she does have relationships with Buffy and Dawn outside of her thing with Willow.

I don't think enough people dislike Tara for this to really be a thing. More people hate Willow funny enough;)
I agree with you in that Tara was had a relationship with Dawn . You see Tara taking care of Dawn a few times & Dawn was really broken up when Tara left showing she cared for her . And Buffy broke down in Tara arms showing she trusted her a lot .

And true there a lot more people out there who hate Willow . I can see why in Willow case but I never could understand
why people hate Tara .

Mr Trick

Scooby
I've seen some people complaing that she's too perfect, but when is being perfect a flaw?
To some it makes her a less interesting character. Think it gives off that goody two shoes vibe too. But a bit like Fred on Angel, Benson is good enough to sell Tara as down to earth and likable in a generally way. She isn't one of the best or most interesting characters. But I do think over time you grow to love her. I certainly felt for her during the whole Willow addiction storyline.

Zenseem

Evil, skanky and kinda gay
Black Thorn
To some it makes her a less interesting character. Think it gives off that goody two shoes vibe too. But a bit like Fred on Angel, Benson is good enough to sell Tara as down to earth and likable in a generally way. She isn't one of the best or most interesting characters. But I do think over time you grow to love her. I certainly felt for her during the whole Willow addiction storyline.
That might be it, but the fact that she's such a mundane and "superficial" makes me like her even more.

ChaseRules

Sineya
That might be it, but the fact that she's such a mundane and "superficial" makes me like her even more.
That also another reason I like her . She is just what she is & not hiding anything .

ChaseRules

Sineya
Which also made her special since she didn't have that.

ChaseRules

Sineya
I liked her & Willow a lot since they were so good as a couple .
But Joss doesn't like people being happy on his shows :rolleyes:

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
People dislike Tara? Other than bigots, I mean? I have not heard that from anyone that didn't have issues with her being a lesbian. Most people I know who've watched the show and liked it, also seem to like Tara.

ChaseRules

Sineya
I liked Tara because she was so normal compared to the rest of the cast & because she was so nice to everyone .

But I think that was why some people didn't like her . It was because she was normal & they didn't want that .

RomanticSoul

Frell Me
Or it had something to do with the actress? Or her portrayal? Or that there wasn't much more to Tara than her relationship to Willow? There are plenty people who don't care for Tara as a character but it has nothing to do with her being gay/lesbian.

I myself am neutral on her and it's a mix of actress and character. I had never seen AB in anything else so I was never sure if the weird awkwardness was to be the character or the actress. Yes Tara was sort of written that way but there was just something off there for me. Also the constant 'depressed' face, even when Tara is supposed to be happy she looks completely depressed. Also she was in a long list of Girlfriend/Boyfriend' roles that I was exhausted by in the later years. If someone has no narrative purpose beyond the relationship role, then get off my screen.

I liked where S6 Tara was heading. I loved her getting out of an unhealthy relationship. And for someone coming from an abusive home, it's even harder to do that. It's one of the few things I liked in S6. Sadly that Tara wasn't long for this world. As she was dragged back into a relationship with Willow via Willow's abuse which ultimately caused her death.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Or it had something to do with the actress? Or her portrayal? Or that there wasn't much more to Tara than her relationship to Willow? There are plenty people who don't care for Tara as a character but it has nothing to do with her being gay/lesbian.

I myself am neutral on her and it's a mix of actress and character. I had never seen AB in anything else so I was never sure if the weird awkwardness was to be the character or the actress. Yes Tara was sort of written that way but there was just something off there for me. Also the constant 'depressed' face, even when Tara is supposed to be happy she looks completely depressed. Also she was in a long list of Girlfriend/Boyfriend' roles that I was exhausted by in the later years. If someone has no narrative purpose beyond the relationship role, then get off my screen.

I liked where S6 Tara was heading. I loved her getting out of an unhealthy relationship. And for someone coming from an abusive home, it's even harder to do that. It's one of the few things I liked in S6. Sadly that Tara wasn't long for this world. As she was dragged back into a relationship with Willow via Willow's abuse which ultimately caused her death.
I don't think there's much wrong with Benson in the role. I think over time she puts in a good performance. She was hampered at first by the stereotype of the goth looking shy girl. But during S5 & 6 was given much more to do. I thought her performance in Family was very good, and she was great during the whole Willow addiction plot.

RomanticSoul

Frell Me
I don't think there's much wrong with Benson in the role. I think over time she puts in a good performance. She was hampered at first by the stereotype of the goth looking shy girl. But during S5 & 6 was given much more to do. I thought her performance in Family was very good, and she was great during the whole Willow addiction plot.
Actor performance, just like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. What's fine for you might be different for someone else. I had issues with both the writing and the acting. You didn't and that's fine. All I did was answer the topic question as to why some people might not like her.

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
i love Tara. She's calming. She's kind. She's wise. She is one of the most empathetic characters I've seen in any TV show - she pays attention to people very closely and can relate to them in compassionate and useful ways -- like when Buffy's mom died, for example. She doesn't say something pat. She says something real.

I love Tara because she doesn't flaunt her intelligence, wisdom or experience, or her knowledge of magic. Thus, she ends up sharing it with people who might not otherwise listen.

Yes, she's shy, and she's afraid at times, but I can relate to that. I appear to be confident in public, but inside, a lot of times I'm just as scared and would like to whimper...

I think the show lost something significant when she died. I think in the last year, she was a much better friend to Buffy, to Dawn and she wasn't judgmental or petty like Willow could be.

She's human scale -- when she was afraid she wouldn't be accepted, she tried to hide her 'demon side' -- so she comes through to me as someone real, not a cardboard cut out person. Even though I think she's probably the BEST person on the show -- in terms of being someone almost purely 'good', she's not an angel and she does make mistakes and has serious (not token) social phobia. She's a well rounded character.

I think I love her for the reasons some people in this thread seem to dislike her. She's not high key, high drama or high maintenance. She's a cool head. She's disciplined with magic. You never see her miss school, in spite of everything that's going on -- probably b/c she's on scholarship and can't afford to mess around.

I love her.
[automerge]1523199555[/automerge]
And i respect her.
[automerge]1523199688[/automerge]
(yes, yes, she probably missed a lot of school when her mind was gone, but you can hardly blame her for that one.)

Last edited:

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Evil hand issues💀
Black Thorn
As I stated previously, I'm rather fond of Tara. (I'm shallow and I like looking at beautiful people) But in the beginning, her facial expressions reminded me of someone who'd suffered a stroke...like any moment, I expected her to start drooling. *cough* SHORT BUS *cough*

Her introduction wasn't exactly earth-shattering; when one of the girls in that Wicca group mockingly asked her a question, she sort of shook her head, and didn't answer...but dear God, she looked so stupid. (Actually, it rather reminded me of Princess Diana's early days, when she'd sometimes pull faces for the camera; attractive girl, but idiotic expressions)

Later on in the show, she became more palatable...in fact, I began to enjoy her scenes. Like the one where she messes with Spike about his "cramp" and the one where she stays over to keep an eye on Dawn.

However, her nagging Willow about magic was super annoying and rather controlling. She knew Willow was a witch from the beginning....and who is SHE to decide what's "too much" magic?

Last edited:

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
@Amber Bunny Slippers I think too much magic was when Willow started to do things that were irresponsible and put others in danger. Magic has consequences. Careless use is dangerous. Just as a spouse might have issues with a partner abusing drugs, but not with them taking medication as prescribed, Tara would have seen it immediately -- particularly as a person who had done magic all her life.

J

joseph

I liked her & Willow a lot since they were so good as a couple .
But Joss doesn't like people being happy on his shows :rolleyes:
I know if anyone is happy they will be killed and it had to be Tara because Willow was an original Scooby.

Top Bottom