• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Why do some fans think Angel is better than Buffy?

What do you like more: Ats (Angel) or Btvs (Buffy)?

• I like Buffy more than Angel

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • I like Angel more than Buffy

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • I like both the same

Votes: 7 23.3%

• Total voters

Willow Tara

Grr Argh - aka WhedonverseFan
Sineya
@r2dh2 Since I haven't seen a thread about it yet I though I'd make it ;)
@Puppet Yes, I'd love to know why you (and other people) think that AtS is better than BtVS! Maybe we can start a thread for that? I've always had the bug of watching it and I don't mind the spoilers at all (I do remember some very random episodes I watched, but couldn't follow the story).
Just wanted to remind everyone that this is not about wether Ats or Btvs is really better, because this really depends on opinion/liking. I love both soooo much and it's really hard to choose, but as I saif that's not what the thread's about. This is just about why some people like Angel more than Buffy.

I made a post once where I explained many reasons already why I love Angel so much, to convince another member to watch Angel, so I'll just copy it... (Sorry if it sometimes is weird to read, because this was taken out of another thread so you don't have the context of the conversation... I hope you can still understand it. What's important to know so you understand the post is: That the person I was talking to said she likes Spike and said she likes Faith in season 7 but not in season 3 ;))

So here's my post:
I love both a looot!!!!
But Buffy is still my all time favourite TV show. ♡ ❤
(There are people here on BB, who disagree with me on that though ;) For some, Angel is even better than Buffy. So you should just get your own opinion on that :))

I have heard from many people, who don't watch Angel, that it is because they don't like Angel as a character on Buffy.
I myself didn't really like Angel (the character) that much on Buffy, but in my opinion he gets better on his own show. And it's not all about him anyway :)
Btw, if you like Angelus, then Angel has some great eps there for you.
Also, because you're a Spike fan I'd recommend you to give it a try. He appears on Angel when he is evil (which is so hilariouse, I just love him!!!!) and also when he is "a better man" with a soul (again really funny scenes, Spike is great :D).
Also if you like Cordelia... Or even if you don't, she has a great arc on Angel.
Well in that season Joss kinda screws Cordy up, but you'll have to see for yourself.
If you like her on Buffy already, great! There's more of her! If you don't like her on Buffy... Maybe she can convince you on Angel, that she is a great character :)
Oh and Wesley... One of the best character arcs EVEEER!!!!! I looooooove him sooo much! (Would never have thought that on Buffy though :p)
And you said you don't like Faith in season 3, but you like her in season 7, well... Don't you wanna see how she changed to the character you like now? You're missing an important part of Faiths character development and redemption arc if you don't watch Angel.
And some beloved characters from Buffy have guest appearences, like Oz, Willow, Buffy herself :D
And Angel the series has great "own" characters, that don't have their origin on Buffy. Like Lorne (A freakin' singing demon! (But not like Sweet from OMWF) Lorne is really awesome :D) And Fred! (Love her soooo much!!!!! She's my favourite character after Willow :)) And there are many more amazing characters on Angel!!!
But well, you should see for yourself. I hope I didn't spoiler anything :oops: I really tried to avoid spoilers, but I got a little carried away... So hopefully nothing big 😯
I just can repeat myself, I really recommend you to give it a try.
(Btw I love all seasons but my favourite is season 5... So even if you don't love it from the start, keep watching :D)
Oh well I love all of the Whedonverse that I have watched so far (Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse, Dr.Horrible) they're all really, really, really amazing in my opinion! So... I might not be the best judge, I'm a little biased, 'cause I love it all so much, all of it 😍

So what do you guys love about Angel? Do you like Angel more than Buffy? Buffy more than Angel? Or both the same? And why?

Last edited:

genghiskhan

God among men
I like them about the same but for different reasons.
Angel is generally darker and more adult than Buffy but it is good all the same.
Usually I tend to side with Buffy more because there isn't really a season of Buffy that I dislike, some I just like less. With Angel, I actually dislike one of the seasons but the rest of it I find very enjoyable. I don't know though, my opinion might change after I rewatch Angel after I finish my rewatch of Buffy.

I had some kind of weird hatred of Angel whilst he was in Buffy unless he was Angelus because I thought he was an amazing villain. After I finished Buffy for the first time, I felt that hole that you feel when you have finished watching something but you don't want to watch anything else so since Angel is set in the Buffyverse I watched it. I didn't like Angel or Cordelia but they really began to grow on me as well as the other characters that are involved. I would highly recommend Angel to anyone whether they liked Buffy or not because it is an amazing show.

Kratos

Potential
I like Angel more than Buffy, though my opinion might change after I finish rewatching the Buffyverse (I’m currently up to Buffy season 5 and Angel season 2). The characters are just more complex and interesting. I prefer Buffy’s first season over Angel’s, though.

r2dh2

Hot chick with super powers
@r2dh2 Since I haven't seen a thread about it yet I though I'd make it ;)

Just wanted to remind everyone that this is not about wether Ats or Btvs is really better, because this really depends on opinion/liking. I love both soooo much and it's really hard to choose, but as I saif that's not what the thread's about. This is just about why some people like Angel more than Buffy.
Thanks! Since I haven't watched Angel, I don't think that I'll be able to participate in depth, but I'm all ears... or all eyes in this case 😊.

KatrinaL
KatrinaL
Sacrilege! You HAVE to watch AtS (facepalm).

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
I have such a deep connection with Buffy that it takes me off guard sometimes. I'll be upset and call someone a bitca, or I'll see Buffy references where there are not meant to be any, or I'll watch a TV show and think 'Buffy did that, but better'. I don't think there really are words to describe what this show means to me.

Still, Angel is better :)

Like how @Anyanka Bunny Slayer put it, the mood fits me a lot more than the bright peppy cheer of Buffy. I also find the characters far more compelling and the writing a lot less...hole-y, if you will.

On Buffy, I like/love a lot of the characters that take up the main title, but I also dislike a lot of them. I despise Riley, I'm mostly bored of Willow except for some stuff here and there (V!Willow, Darth!Willow), I'm not a fan of Buffy much past S2, Angel in the first 3 seasons does nothing for me, Giles post-S5 irritates me and even Anya can get on my nerves. But I love Spike, and I love Dawn, and I love Xander, and I love Tara, and I like Oz and I love Cordelia, so I forbear.

On Angel, I dislike Connor. That's it. They ruin Cordelia a bit later on, but on re-watches, that's easily explained away by saying that it wasn't her. Cordelia stopped being Cordelia, pretty much in-canon, after the end of S3. But I love Angel, I love Wesley, I love Gunn, I love Fred, I love Doyle, I love Cordelia, I love Lorne, and so on and so on.

Buffy has Big Bads, but I prefer Wolfram & Hart on Angel. The idea of this insidious evil (run mostly by humans, I might add) trying to get at them for 5 seasons is far more interesting than the predictability of Buffy's Big Bads; we know they'll be dead by the season finale.

Faith's arc is very interesting to me (and personal, but that's neither here nor there) but the best parts of it happen on Angel. In fact, if you only watched Buffy, you'd miss it and that would be a crying shame.

Buffy is very black and white - don't get me wrong, it tries to tell us that it isn't, with Anya and Spike and Oz and bla bla bla, but it totally is - whereas Angel, a show lead by a vampire with a soul, could never be. In the main title we have two more demons (Doyle, Lorne), a halfling miracle child (Connor), another vampire (Spike), and a God-King (Illyria, in case you couldn't figure that one out). Hell, pretty sure even Harm gets a shout in the main title for a chunk of S5.

The 'lessons' we can take away from Angel just feel more relatable and believable than the ones on Buffy, especially in later seasons. Part of this is that there is no one ignoring what's staring them in the face, like the glaring evidence that black and white aren't their colors.

Now, here's more, but again I'd want to mention that this is IMO, kay? Kay.

Willow's arc doesn't feel justified, earned or believable. It feels forced. Hers isn't the only one, but the biggest and most obvious. I understand that some people feel the same way about, for example, Wes' arc on Angel, but that's just how it goes, I guess. The point is this; I don't watch shows for cool, inventive storylines and fun baddies, I watch for the characters, and that's a huge reason why I prefer one to the other. However, I love both shows, just not equally :D

I think that's what I have to say for now, sorry for the long rant!

Nix

Evil Nix
Sineya
I love both shows but I prefer Angel as it feels darker and more adult to me.

NeddaSai

Potential
The early seasons of Angel are my favorite in all of the whedonverse, the philosophical insights made some very big impressions on teenage me.

Not to mention I enjoy the chemistry between Angel/Doyle/Cordelia/Wesley/Gunn more than I do with the characters in Buffy.

Angel's seasons can be structurally weaker than Buffy, but some of the arcs are actually deeper than anything in Buffy. Which one a person ends up seeing as more profound is ultimately a matter of personality.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I like them about the same.
I guess I like a lot of the Angel characters more than the Buffy ones; the only character I mildly dislike on Angel is Lorne (and late S3 Cordy), whereas BtVS has Anya and Spike who are loud, irritating attention-seekers.
I also think the plots and action are more ambitious and better executed. It uses characters like Faith and Spike to better effect. Wesley's arc is one of the best of all time.

But Buffy was first. Seasons 1-5 are just so entertaining, funny, witty and at times incredibly moving. With flawed yet still likable characters that have a great dynamic with each other. I think the highs of Buffy were more frequent than the highs of Angel back then, although both have fantastic moments.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
Why do some fans think Angel is better than Buffy?
Insanity? :D

Seriously, though. I will never understand how anyone can like Angel (series) better (or even anywhere near as much) as Buffy (the show). 🤨

Willow Tara

Grr Argh - aka WhedonverseFan
Sineya
Insanity? :D

Seriously, though. I will never understand how anyone can like Angel (series) better (or even anywhere near as much) as Buffy (the show). 🤨
LOL! I love Angel as much as Buffy but for different reasons and in a different way than how I love Buffy. I love both A LOT! Like really A LOOOOOT!!! But if I had to choose between the two, gun to my head, I´d choose Buffy. But there´s no gun, so I´ll say I love them both! :D

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
LOL! I love Angel as much as Buffy but for different reasons and in a different way than how I love Buffy. I love both A LOT! Like really A LOOOOOT!!! But if I had to choose between the two, gun to my head, I´d choose Buffy. But there´s no gun, so I´ll say I love them both! :D

Just kidding. :D

Willow Tara
Willow Tara
Love HIMYM!!!

WillowFromBuffy

Hear Me Roar!
BtVS is the better show. It has the advantage of having a real world dimension as well as a fantasy one. This allows the show to stay grounded in relatable experience even during its most creative and off-beat moments. BtVS can be weird and off-beat, but it always makes sense. S4 of AtS is 70 % pure gibberish, seemingly written by aliens with deep seated contempt for mankind.

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
Reasons I prefer AtS to BtVS:

The premise; a vampire with a soul, fighting for redemption which he comes to realise is not possible. Sounds hokey on the surface but makes for an amazingly noir show, exploring the complexities and weaknesses of both the human and demon world. No other show I watch is so steadfast in it’s mission statement, so in tune with its’ core statement. The show provides a wonderfully grey world, in which the good guys commit atrocities and the bad guys are capable of good. No other show even compares, including BtVS, which I feel loses its core statement after high school and has muddled/murky themes in the later seasons.

The characterisation. Cordelia Chase, Wesley Wyndam Pryce, Charles Gunn, Fred Burkle and Angel himself; all amazing characters which end the series so far from where they began. I love the way AtS creates, explores and furthers its’ characters and their journeys. Watching these characters grow and evolve, trip, fall and get back up never gets tiring. Every character’s journey is incredibly watchable and, for the most part, endearing and I love pretty much every character on AtS, as opposed to BtVS, where I only have strong feelings for two or three of the characters.

The Humour; as with all Whedonverse shows, the humour on AtS is razor-sharp and delightfully entertaining. Whether we’re watching Wesley and Cordelia dramatically mock the Bangel relationship, Angel running around as a puppet or Drusilla and Darla wickedly toy with a room full of lawyers, you can’t help but genuinely laugh several times throughout every episode, no matter how dark the storyline. Yes, BtVS has humour too, but I find AtS funnier, maybe because the show is darker in tone and therefore the humour offsets that darkness nicely.

Family; despite BtVS’s claims that the Scoobies are family and look out for each other, they have nowhere near the depth, camaraderie and connection that the AtS gang share. AtS beautifully showcases how family is not necessarily the people you’re related to but instead the people you connect with and choose to love and protect. We see the sacrifices made, the love shared and the wonderful small moments throughout every season, and even though to bonds are broken at times, in the end they’re repaired or renewed.

The story arcs; unlike BtVS which has season-long Big Bads and at least one apocalypse per season, the arcs on AtS are smaller and much more intimate, which I much prefer. They focus on the every day battles, the human battles and the fight to do what’s right about all else. They are personal and intense and they draw you in from the beginning to the end, never lasting so long you lose interest and almost always ending resolutely.

The themes; AtS is full of amazing themes which the show explores beautifully and thoroughly. Redemption, forgiveness, family, sacrifice and love (not always romantic) are wonderfully portrayed and examined over all five seasons, making the show deeper, richer and more layered than many other shows.

I also find Angel to be a more likable more endearing protagonist than Buffy, which goes a long way in making the series more enjoyable. And while the later seasons of BtVS dip a lot in quality (especially Seasons 6 and 7) the AtS seasons are, for the most part, very strong (yes, even Season 4).

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
Btvs is a groundbreaking masterpiece. It revolutionized the modern age of TV with its serialized storytelling and Buffy, as a female lead. The writing, particularly in the early seasons, is superburb. There will never be another show like Buffy. It is the measuring stick by which I compare everyother show in the fantasy genre (and none compare). There is a reason that there are academic articles and journals and classes at colleges dedicated to BtVS and it's characters.

AtS is also a phenomenal show. There are a number of things that AtS does better than BtVS. I feel more invested in the relationships on that show than I do in BtVS. But at the end of the day in terms of cultural significance BTVS will always win out, imo.

KatrinaL
KatrinaL
Amen to that!

Hunga Munga

Potential
These days I love BTVS and Angel nearly equally.

However , when it aired , I had no time at all for Angel . I didn't think much of Boreanaz as an actor and I had zero interest in following him to a new show . Also I was in prison for much of the first season :D It was only in around 2015 that I saw the whole show in order .

Over the years my respect for the Buffyverse has grown much deeper . Now I love BTVS so much that I can easily give Angel half and still seem a bit overkeen :) .

Honestly , I think my love for the original show colours my perception of Angel ...so I'm lacking objectivity . Angel season 5 is a prime example . For me it's both Angel season 5 and Buffy season 7.5 . It's one of my favourite seasons of either show , but is it objectively any good ? Or does it just stand on the shoulders of giants ? I genuinely dont kow :).

I think I prefered the 'big' stories in Buffy over Angel . For me Darla , Conner , Holzt and other story arcs were all pretty weak and overdone for my tastes .

Mylie

Scooby
I prefer BtVS, but I get very protective of AtS whenever it doesn't get its due.

BtVS will always be my favorite show because it was so a huge part of me growing up. And Buffy Summers is still my favorite fictional character. And I fall into the category of people who prefer BtVS characters, in general, to AtS ones. If I have to make a choice, I'll always pick Buffy.

That said, there are moments where I find AtS more engaging and when that happens, it's because of the philosophical themes the show explores. I think it can be a much more interesting show to analyze and think about. But maybe that's because I often feel like everything has already been explored/said about BtVS, whereas Angel is often overlooked.

telperion66

Potential
Buffy seasons 1 and 2 were spectacular, and stayed very true to what I perceive to be the essence of the show.

Angel seasons 1 and 2 is feel-good television in my eyes, but lack the great increase in character and narrative depth we see in Angel seasons 3 to 4 and a half. I'm purposely emphasizing the end of this depth and exquisite engagement by the middle of season 4; I don't know what happened but the season just totally falls off and goes from extremely great to pretty awful.

Buffy season 3 to me is like a watered-down season 2, with the occasional good moment.

Buffy seasons 4 to 7 on the rewatch are pretty poor. The storytelling comes off as increasingly shallow as do the character performances, and the spirit of the show is a world away from that of season 1 and 2 for instance.

Angel season 5 is an interesting one. I've watched the first three and a half seasons of Angel to death, but have never really had the appetite to rewatch season 5 until now (purely because I've seen it so seldom I have very little memory of it whereas the other seasons are very familiar to me). On this basis, my opinion may improve but as of now I consider season 5 very disappointing, particularly when compared to for example the intensely intriguing story arcs found in season 3 with Holtz and season 4 with the Beast.

Long response to a fairly simple, open-ended question!

Top Bottom