• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Why do you like this season?

BuffyBot22

Scooby
So I am currently on an AtS rewatch
And even though I am only in s2, I already dread rewatching s5....

I know a lot of people love this season, but I found it almost unbearable to watch.
So I would like to know what you like/love about this season, so maybe I can see it on my rewatch

W

WillowFromBuffy

It abandons the big stupid incomprehensible plots for relatable character and consistent themes.

Harmony is the greatest!

It packs an emotional punch.

It is the most visually interesting season of AtS by miles.

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
I am not the best person to defend s5. I think it has good stuff but I think thematically it is not in step with AtS. It feels like a reset/different show (with alot of buffy-esque elements)

But what I do love about this season is:
  • I think Angel looks good in suits
  • I enjoy SOME of the Spike/Angel banter.
  • I love Gunn finally having some moral ambiguity and dilemma this season even if it is not fully actualized. They gave him something to mull over that wasn't Fred.
  • I love Fred and Spike's friendship.
  • I like Illyria (probably not as much as Joss and not enough to lose Fred who I love but she is an interesting character).
  • Smile Time is hilarious
  • Connor is very likable this season.
  • TGIQ is stupid and ridiculous and it's not even Angel but I love it anyway.
  • and then, of course, NFA is the best season finale in the buffyverse.
I could write you a novel about what I DON'T like about this season (#1 would probably Harmony bleh) but there is some good stuff here. I find Angel's character more enjoyable in this season than I do for season 3.

MarieVampSlayer
MarieVampSlayer
Angel is suits...that's all I need!

BuffyBot22

Scooby
Yeah, I definitely can't stand harmony.
I'll def be skipping the episode that is all about her.

I think the setting really throws me off, it's not supposed to be bright and sunny. It should be dark. But, I guess I'll have to let that one go, haha.
The other stuff you guys said, I'll def have to keep in mind when I get to this season.

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
I feel like AtS Season 5 mirrors Season 1 in many ways and that's what I like about it, as I feel it brings the show full circle.

Both seasons start with Angel in a new environment, trying to find his footing and reclaim his mission. Both season openers have Angel facing off with W&H, only Season 1 is externally whereas Season 5 is from within the belly of the beast, and both openers end with Angel making a big statement/opposing W&H's plans. Both seasons see Angel struggle with his mission and himself, losing his faith and regaining it. Both seasons see him deal with losses in his team and the fallout of his grief. Spike works as a foil for Angel, showing how far he's come and the difference in him due to everything he's gone through. The Lindsey-As-Doyle storyline and his mentoring of Spike mirrors Doyel's guiding of Angel. The series ends with Angel re-affirming his if nothing we do matters mantra and taking the fight to the Senior Partners, showing them "for one shining moment that they don't own him", much like he did in the Season 1 finale and throughout Season 2. I just find that the themes and arcs in Season 5 are really strong, particularly for Angel himself.

Then there are just so many great episodes in Season 5, which are strong in writing and themes. Conviction, which mirrors City Of and sets up the season beautifully, Hellbound which sees the Spike and Fred friendship blossom and has Spike finally acting selflessly, Damage which is my favourite Spike-centered episode and sets Spike on his true path to redemption, You're Welcome which sends off Cordy beautifully and sets up the final arc of the season, Origin which brings back a sane and healthy Connor and wraps up the loose ends with his storyline, Smile Time which is just so entertaining and darkly humorous, A Hole In The World & Shells which are both devastating but written and acted so beautifully, Underneath which contains some great characterisation for Lindsey and gives insight into the Senior Partners and the mechanisms of W&H and of course the finale, Not Fade Away, which was the perfect end to an amazing series. And I'm pretty sure I've left out others which I love.

And lastly, it restored the light side to the show and didn't rely on convoluted and soap-opera-y storylines and it was just a nice breather after the hell that was Season 4 (a season I don't really hate but there's no denying it was a mess of a season and it did get incredibly heavy and hard to watch).

W
WillowFromBuffy
All of this!
Puppet
Puppet
There may be a reason why I can't pick between S1 and S5 when it comes to favorites ;)
MarieVampSlayer
MarieVampSlayer
I love all theses episodes!
Fool for Buffy
Fool for Buffy
Wonderful post! :D

MarieVampSlayer

Bloody hell, Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers..
Sineya
I actually like S5 so here is why it is great:

The circle of the black thorn are amazing villains. I love all of them and love to see them perish!

Lindsey is back...no need to add more, he is awesome and he helps bringing things back to basics since Lilah is gone.

The AI team is really a family here and the Connor spells makes it possible for Wesley and Angel to be friends again.

We finally have the Connor we wanted all theses years! Oh how I love him.

Like @RachM listed, they are a lot of great episodes. I would add Just rewards for the funny Spike and Angel interaction and for Angel to finally realize that Spike is not evil anymore. I also like Time Bomb and Why we fight thought imperfect is still a fun Angel flashback.

Overall, it's a bumpy ride but with an amazing finale!

BuffyBot22

Scooby
I guess it's just that most of the season is boring, and then they jam pack all of the goodness into the last few episodes. I felt that the beginning and middle of the season was slow and at times even lost. I just don't know why they couldn't have sprinkled some of the greatness toward the end throughout the rest of the season...

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
I don't have much to say that @RachM didn't, but I am particularly fond of the Angel/ Spike dynamic in general because it was in character and entertaining. Their history brings out the evil in each other, while they also share common things they care about to bring out the hero in each other.

The only other thing I'll add is that Illyria was written brilliantly; I would have said people were insane if they told me I'd feel sympathy for Fred's killer. Yet Illyria is so strange and out there but somehow relatable at the same time, and some things she says with Wesley especially somehow make me feel for her.

DagonSphere

Potential
I absolutely HATED season five when I first watched it, because I thought it got boring and as a big fan of the serialized arcs and WTF-moments of season four, the change in pacing was jarring. Since then however, my opinion has completely changed. Now it is actually my favorite season.

• I love how this season mixes things up and how it can be so different in tone from episode to episode. While I was a huge fan of the dark arcs on Angel, I have come to really appreciate how playful season five is on an episode-to-episode-basis. Only in season five you could have a silly episode like Smile Time, followed by the heartbreak of A Hole In The World. Generally, I also think season 5 has the strongest and most creative stand-alone episodes.

• Initially, I was not a big fan of the introduction of Spike, because I felt like he didn't fit in and because I was afraid he would take over the narrative and steal screen time from the other supporting characters. He did that in a way, BUT his interaction with Angel just brought a great new dynamic to the show and it was fun seeing him all snarky again. The non-romantic pairings on any TV show are usually the most interesting and this one really enriched the show, tho I do think he took away some valuable screen time from Gunn and Wesley.

• There's just a lot more humor with the addition of Spike and Harmony.

• The Fred/Wesley/Illyria storyline is just one of the most interesting and fascinating storylines, even tho it only lasted such a short time. Amy Acker and Alexis Denisof were brilliant in it. Many other shows have now done the "body taken over by some other thing"-storyline, most recently The 100, but Angel still stands out, because in most shows when a character is possessed, they're possessed by a bitchy sociopath, kinda like Cordelia in season four, but Illyria was so much more than that and to see her struggle with her imposed humanity by her new existence was utterly fascinating.

genghiskhan

God doesn't want you
Black Thorn
I like this season, particularly because it comes after season 4, which I actually hate and makes season 5 seem that much better in my eyes.
However, it my brother's favourite season of Angel.
So here is what I liked:
  • Spike and Angel's dynamic throughout the season. I thought Spike was a very interesting choice for bringing into Angel and I think it worked pretty well. It did justice for Spike's character who people didn't seem to enjoy in the last season of Buffy and confronted Angel with a dark part of his past. I think Spike integrated pretty well into the main cast but without taking the whole thing over. He was definitely one of the better parts of the season.
  • Illyria. It really shows off Amy Acker's wide range of acting skills and it's a very creative way of killing a character off whilst keeping an actor on. It was also very interesting for the other characters having to adapt to a 'thing' wearing Fred's body.
  • How the characters' deal with morality (their own and others) in this season is interesting.
  • I enjoyed Cordy's last episode where she was back to normal and it was kind of heartbreaking.
  • I liked how Connor was dealt with. I hated his character but his involvement in season 5 was nice but not to the extent where he took over in any way.
  • Basically I love everything about the final episode.
  • All the flashbacks. My favourite part of the Buffyverse was always the flashbacks and to have more with Darla and Dru as well was amazing.

KatrinaL

"I'm not strong. I'm not an Amazon. I'm just me."
I haven't watched AtS in ages, but I just found this video and it's hilarious:

Those two are so funny together! I LOVE them!

Last edited:

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
Season 5 has some of the best quotes in the entire series. Sure, there were a couple of crappy episodes...but overall, S5 (and S2!) just make me extremely happy. (Except for Damage and The Cautionary Tale of Numero Cinco. Because I was bored to tears and the stories were stupid. Plus, Eve was a stupendously terrible character)

When I first watched Angel, I'd never seen an episode of Buffy...so now, all of the references make sense! 😅 Also, I was SO happy that Connor was basically given a personality makeover, because he was just too loveable. And Illyria! Best. Character. Ever. ❤

Last edited:

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
We finally get back to what the show was actually about; Angel wandering out of the shower for no reason...

But also:
- Wesley and Illyria are fascinating to watch. Their interactions and Wesley's slow disintegration are just great telly.
- Nice 'n normal teen Connor. With superpowers.
- Wesley and Wesley's evil robot Dad.
- I liked You're Welcome. It's not perfect but its quite feel-good in an old-fashioned beat-up the baddie sorta way. I have no issue about Angel having to re-learn a lesson he may've forgotten. This happens to Buffy all the time.
- Also Lindsey's return, obviously.
- Dana the insane slayer is a nice illustration of the grey ambiguous side of Buffy's S7 choice/strategy.
- Gunn's interesting if not fully realized moral ambiguity arc.
- Nina as a love interest is much less objectionable than Cordelia.
- Spike is slapped around and ridiculed (mostly by the writers) a lot, has to finally learn some humility after all the unearned heaps of pep he gets from Buffy and Fred. He also gets far more interesting as a result.
- Puppet!Angel is not only quite funny but metaphorically on-point. And fuzzy.
- Not Fade Away is very good.
- S5 leads into After The Fall, which is a decent comics-continuation of the show.

But there is a lot of suck in S5. The W&H set is depressingly sterile and non-cinematic/atmospheric. Harmony is an annoying idiot-twit and yet we have an entire Harmony-centric episode inflicted on us. Lorne is wasted/pointless. There is a lot of witless camp on display- the Mexican wrestler episode in particular. The only female cast member is brutally killed off. A lot of Angel & Spike- centric scenes/eps are torture; Destiny and TGIQ in particular are pretty obnoxious. Eve and Knox! The submarine episode is yet more evidence that the Initiative idea ruins every episode it touches, and on it goes.
The good is very good, the bad is some of the worst Angel ever produced.

Taake
Taake
Angel wandering out of the shower is a pivotal aspect of the show!
Bluebird
Bluebird
Lol Angel wandering out the shower for no reason *Master voice* right..back..to the beginning..

MonsterHunter

Townie
Season 5 has some of the best quotes in the entire series. Sure, there were a couple of crappy episodes...but overall, S5 (and S2!) just make me extremely happy. (Except for Damage and The Cautionary Tale of Numero Cinco. Because I was bored to tears and the stories were stupid. Plus, Eve was a stupendously terrible character)

When I first watched Angel, I'd never seen an episode of Buffy...so now, all of the references make sense! 😅 Also, I was SO happy that Connor was basically given a personality makeover, because he was just too loveable. And Illyria! Best. Character. Ever. ❤
Absolutely agree!!

Top Bottom