• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Why do you love Gunn

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
Because he had two of the best scenes in the entire show - his entrance and his 'cater to the demons' speech in the lobby of W&H. He was a minor, background character that they didn't know would become a regular at the time and they still gave him these scenes and J. pulled them off perfectly. Plus, J. is just an awesome guy, love him so much.

I like the fact that he was such a three dimensional character. It would have been so easy to just make him the muscle, to sharpen all his edges and leave it at that. 'Oh, he had a rough childhood and now he's all emotionally closed off and can't form real relationships with people'. Instead he was able to fall in love with someone who is his complete opposite, he was able to let her go when he saw that it wasn't working and be happy for her when she found someone else. He can admit when he was wrong, takes responsibility for his actions and does everything he can to try and fix it, and when he can't, he tries his best to make things better for the people he hurt.

I love Gunn, I think he's a great character.

jom

Potential
. It would have been so easy to just make him the muscle

well gee, i dont know how to say this but i think before the brain upgrade, that is how he saw himself as. Was he the muscle?, me think yes, but the other things you say about him are accurate. Fred chose him over wesley, nobody can deny that.

Wesley Pryce

Angel Investigations
Black Thorn
Because he had two of the best scenes in the entire show - his entrance and his 'cater to the demons' speech in the lobby of W&H. He was a minor, background character that they didn't know would become a regular at the time and they still gave him these scenes and J. pulled them off perfectly. Plus, J. is just an awesome guy, love him so much.

I like the fact that he was such a three dimensional character. It would have been so easy to just make him the muscle, to sharpen all his edges and leave it at that. 'Oh, he had a rough childhood and now he's all emotionally closed off and can't form real relationships with people'. Instead he was able to fall in love with someone who is his complete opposite, he was able to let her go when he saw that it wasn't working and be happy for her when she found someone else. He can admit when he was wrong, takes responsibility for his actions and does everything he can to try and fix it, and when he can't, he tries his best to make things better for the people he hurt.

I love Gunn, I think he's a great character.
I agree 100%

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
The fact that he saw himself as the muscle is irrelevant, because he wasn't. He never was, not from his first episode. Being 'just' the muscle means there isn't anything more to him. Like in Teen Wolf, the Twins were the muscle, because they literally had no other character development and their whole storyline through S3B was being the hitters for Scott. Gunn wasn't like that, he had layers right from the start, otherwise he would never have been able to actually work with Angel.

It would have been easy to never build those layers. Gunn was a smart man, even before the upgrade, but it would have been so much easier from a writer's perspective to take those smarts away and leave behind a dumb idiot who doesn't think before he acts and gets himself killed in the first ep. Or someone who just follows people blindly and hopes for the best.

That was never Gunn. Gunn was smart, wise, cunning. He learned to adapt and build a life for himself no matter where he landed. Gunn might have seen himself as 'just' the muscle in the family he found himself a part of, but it's just blatantly not true from an outsider perspective.

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
Gunn is just a cool guy. He's the kind of guy I'd hang out with in real life. It's hard to pinpoint the one thing that makes him special, perhaps because compared to some of the other characters he's a lot more tame, in the sense that he thinks more, he's more logical, more balance. The reason characters like Wes and Angel are popular is because we see both extremities from white to black in their characters, there's just a lot of layers there that are very obvious to the viewers. But Gunn, Gunn is the guy that through out the series is perhaps the most balance, but that doesn't make him bland either. Gunn has enough qualities to him to make him interesting, but it's more subtle. It's easy to write him off as the muscle guy or whatever, but that's a pretty shallow way of looking at him. The guy might not be my favorite, but he's still really underrated.

jom

Potential
Gunn is cool, i like his character, he did a great job on season 5. i do think that he tends to be forgotten and outside of his fred story, there's not much drama. I know in the beginning and his story with his gang there was some drama with him, but that doesnt call my attention much. I do like his loyalty towards Angel, for a guy who seem pretty strong minded and independent, he seems to be very loyal as a follower of Angel.

janas

Bangel in the soul
Angelus will also be a manipulative dirty bastard, but he knows people and has been right on Gunn.

You know what I like about you? You play to your strengths. You know what they are, and you stick to 'em. You don't find that much these days. Everybody always trying to expand their horizons, actuate their potential, and all that other touchy-feely crap. But not you. You don't try to change... because you know your place. That'll go a long way towards keeping you alive. Well, a lot longer than the others.

I love Gunn!

GwenRaiden

AKA Apology Girl
Black Thorn
Gunn was cool. I liked that Whedon made sure his character always had a lot of jokey one-liners, he and Lorne kept the comic relief rolling when so many of the other characters were dealing with more extreme emotions which came across in the script.

He kept the show moving because he was always determined to keep fighting the good fight no matter what, even when all seemed hopeless. His character took a bashing in s5, and we could have all hated him for his part in Fred's death, his greed for knowledge and power, and not looked back, but he took responsibility for his actions and his heartbreak for Fred was very real; he was the one who ended up hurting her, not Wes, like he warned in s5.

I felt awful for Gunn, we've all made one of those mistakes you instantly wish you could take back and change, that dreadful moment when time stands still and you realise what you've done. He was a realistic character - his determination and loyalty was never in question, those qualities could have made him bland like @Blaze mentioned, but that wasn't the case.

Mr Trick

Scooby
A very down to earth, charming, funny, and resourceful character, who fitted nicely into team Angel and would just about anything to fight the good fight. Just really solid and dependable very different from Wes not surprising.

Riderofapocalypse

Potential
1) Very likeable/relatable character. Being the protector of the people in a world where they are super and he is not. Also the great character transformation to keep his character fresh.

2) When Angel and Co needed Gunn to distract Wolframheart while they infiltrated it, and Gunn went all ghetto/sassy on the law firm when he walked in. 'My rights have been violated, I need a lawyer all up in here-a!'

cheers

Top Bottom