• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Why do you love season 1 of BTVS?

Willow Tara

Passion rules us all💖theWhedonverse rules my life
Sineya
Alright... I know the first season is almost everywhere known as the "worst" season. And for me it's also I guess my least favourite season, but... The "worst" season of a TV-Show (the best Show ever Imo) with only amazing seasons is still great. So I still love it.

What do you like/love about Buffy season 1? Let's discuss about the first season (Please mainly positive things. It's okay to say that you don't really like some aspects of season 1, but please focus on positive things in this thread.) I'll post my "answers" (why I love season 1) later.

FaithLehane16
FaithLehane16
This isn't the worst season for me.

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
I think it's a great opening season, it's certainly not my least favourite of the seasons.

Darla was a great character, that I'm glad they introduced, really opening up Angel's background. The Master was a great villain too, one that going through the season you did wonder if he would be trapped forever or keep trying to get free.

The monster of the week format led to some memorable characters, like Marcie and Sid the dummy. It introduced not only vampire lore, but witches as well.

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
As weak as it may be on a first run-through, it's much better once you're familiar with the show as a whole, so I personally don't have anything against S1.

The Puppet Show is an outstanding episode, and not just from the first season alone; I love everything about it. Sid is hilarious and it introduces this idea into the show that was rarely shown again (S2's Kane comes to mind) which was human hunters battling the supernatural. A bigger example of that is Gunn and his crew on AtS. The idea of puppets coming to life will never not be creepy AF and this episode also introduced us to Snyder, in all his troll-ish glory. Overall, just a great MOTW.

The show had a great pilot episode, back-ended with an even greater finale in Prophecy Girl.

It gave us the twist in Witch, a great growing friendship between Buffy and her Slayerettes, we got Jenny Calendar out of the deal and a mythology that would only be built on more as the seasons progressed.

Yeah, there was the occasional bad acting, bad special effects, and bad writing, but for the most part, it did really well. Actually, now that I'm watching a younger generation reacting to the show on YouTube, I'm realizing that perhaps S1 has aged better than I ever thought. These reactors love S1, isn't it amazing? :D

thrasherpix

Scooby
I only vaguely recall when I first saw it. I think it helped that despite everyone wanting me to see it, I had low expectations of it (which ironically makes it easier for it to impress me). And I remember how the first scene grabbed me by the throat. ;)

Not counting the time I caught only part of a season 1 ep (and didn't understand it, which contributed to why I wasn't expecting much when I rented the entire season), I found it the right mix of light horror and fun. Given that it was winking at the audience and some of the dialog and humor was clever, I laughed with rather than at it. It didn't demand any effort on my part to understand, I just needed to turn off my brain and enjoy the ride, and by doing so I came to care about the characters by the end.

I do believe that had I started with season 2 as some said I should that I'd have rented the first 2 dvds and decided not to spend anymore time on it (though I'd have liked School Hard and Halloween), but as I got to like the characters in season 1 I got to care enough to not only get through the first 2 dvds, but actually enjoy them. (That said, I do enjoy season 2 more than season 1, but I needed season 1 to enjoy it.)

I should probably add that I'm not inclined to follow overpowered superheroes for long and I actually like how Buffy is obviously challenged (which means she's much braver when she takes on these horrors, as are the rest of the cast). While I also like how Buffy gets stronger and more skilled as the series progresses, there is the appeal of the somewhat humble beginnings of where she started her hero's journey.

Kratos

Potential
I love season 1. It’s not my fav season, but I thought it was a good introductory one for the show if you don’t mind the cheesiness. Welcome to the Hellmouth is one of the best pilot episodes ever, imo. Never understood why some people didn’t like it. Only episode I don’t like is Teacher’s Pet (it just drags on and on, though there were a few good moments in it). I don’t really have nostalgia for season 1, though, as I only started watching Buffy from season 5 onward.

spikenbuffy

My true nature. You want a taste ?
I love S1 mainly because the characters have not suffer like they will later in the show when I see the scoobies in that season and what they will become later I'm amazed. But I hate Teacher's Pet and I robot You Jane and I would have prefered more episodes than 12 episodes because it's too short.

Evil Seal

Alright, 10 more minutes of chanting.
I absolutely LOVE season 1. The Master is my favourite villain and I love everything about this season. The bad episodes are amazing in their badness and I love them so much and Prophecy Girl is one of my favourite episodes of the series.
I remember falling head over heels in love with the series when I first saw the giant praying mantis in Teacher's Pet, even though I first watched it like 3-4 years ago. I loved that the show picked male virgins as victims instead of the usual tiny chaste blond girl who is appalled by the idea of having sex.
I adore the bad special effects of the whole season, I think they did a great job with a small budget.

Kratos
Kratos
I agree they did a great job with a small budget. Shows one doesn’t need a big budget to make a show like Buffy.
J

joseph

I think it's a great opening season, it's certainly not my least favourite of the seasons.

Darla was a great character, that I'm glad they introduced, really opening up Angel's background. The Master was a great villain too, one that going through the season you did wonder if he would be trapped forever or keep trying to get free.

The monster of the week format led to some memorable characters, like Marcie and Sid the dummy. It introduced not only vampire lore, but witches as well.
okay what I Like about it the witch episode & the pack & teacher pet this is has xander best episodes on it.

sosa lola

Scooby
I love so many things about S1. I love Prophecy Girl, from beginning to end. I love the early versions of the Scoobies: innocent but determined chubby cheeks Buffy. Smart, witty and brave Xander. Sweet as honey and computer genius Willow. Extremely stuffy and plays by the rules Giles. Bully but capable of change Cordelia.

I like how the characters are very fresh and closer to real people - instead of the cartoon caricatures, emancipated from basic human unpredictability by later seasons.

nxGangrel

Totally not checkin' you out B
I liked Season 1 because it felt kinda unique the way it was done. It was kind of clunky, and to me felt like it have a different tone compared to the rest of the entire series.
I know this is a weird analogy but it really reminds me of the first Marilyn Manson album (Portrait of an American Family), since both were more starting experiments and were more focused on being creepy, goofy, and cartoonish rather than being more serious as both the show and the band went on to do. And both feel a bit dated, which adds to the charm.
Not my favorite season, but I don't think it's the worst.

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
I see what you mean about MM. So for you would Antichrist Superstar be the equivalent of Buffy S3?

AnthonyCordova

Snakehead Leviticus
Sineya
I like the season more with each watch. What I have really come to appreciate in later watches is the general levity. None of the episodes take themselves too seriously, while many episodes after S4 lose that quality and sometimes end up being too bleak and grim. I think it is important to balance the campiness of the show and its premise with a tongue-in-cheek levity, or the danger is that it becomes cheesy. And I think for me it is this specifically that makes me nostalgic about the high school seasons, as opposed to the fact that the first 3 seasons take place in high school. I'm not nostalgic about my own high school experiences, for example.

So for these reasons the poorer monster of the week episodes from this season (as well as S2-S3) compare more favorably to bad monster of the week episodes in the late seasons (for example, Doublemeat Palace).

Also during rewatches I love watching the main characters fall into friendship with each other and in the process learn about each other too. As the show wears on in the later seasons, I get a real feeling of ennui or world weariness between the scoobies in a great many episodes. Sometimes they can feel sick of each others company post S5. Season 1 by comparison sparkles when it comes to the various human relationships, and they pursue their agendas with a vivacious freshness that is very appealing.

Like everyone else, I really wish the season ran 22 episodes like all of the rest. They could have used that extra time to explore more deeply The Master and execute an even more satisfying main arc.

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
I hated high school and only did 2 years of it (1 in a special program for those with behavioral problems) and no prom or anything like that. I still prefer the high school years in Buffy.
nxGangrel
nxGangrel
I agree with that the season should have had 22 episodes instead of just 12. Also, for me ACS would be more akin to season 2 and 3 since that they are both more serious and where the show finally gets its footing (in my opinion).

AshSlays

WOW, Sarcasm, that's original!
The cursed area of tons of sweet tea (Arkansas)
Black Thorn
All the campy 90s fun! Wish I could have lived through it...

Also, I remember being so hooked by that first episode. My mom talked about Buffy for my entire life, and I remember being a sad, angry kid with nothing that I could get lost in quite the right way when she decided I was old enough to watch it. That first episode had me so invested, and she made me wait the 3 hours until I went to bed to watch the second (still mad about that). Cheerleader Amy was the other one I watched that night, and I fell asleep right at the end of mantis woman. Perfect way of establishing Xander's demon magnet status!

telperion66

Townie
Season one was just an unbelievably fresh breath of air to watch. The burgeoning chemistry between the tight-nit gang. The commencement of the Buffy and Angel romance. The innocence of the show actually being about what the show was originally intended to be about as shown in its purest form. Sure, some of the episode premises are kinda goofy and monsterific, but the overall character development and beautifully written scripts make up for that in spades. A triumph from start to finish.

Top Bottom