• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Why do you love season 1 of BTVS?

Willow Tara

♥️Buffyverse♥️ Tillow Forever!!!
Sineya
Alright... I know the first season is almost everywhere known as the "worst" season. And for me it's also I guess my least favourite season, but... The "worst" season of a TV-Show (the best Show ever Imo) with only amazing seasons is still great. So I still love it.

What do you like/love about Buffy season 1? Let's discuss about the first season (Please mainly positive things. It's okay to say that you don't really like some aspects of season 1, but please focus on positive things in this thread.) I'll post my "answers" (why I love season 1) later.

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
I think it's a great opening season, it's certainly not my least favourite of the seasons.

Darla was a great character, that I'm glad they introduced, really opening up Angel's background. The Master was a great villain too, one that going through the season you did wonder if he would be trapped forever or keep trying to get free.

The monster of the week format led to some memorable characters, like Marcie and Sid the dummy. It introduced not only vampire lore, but witches as well.

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
As weak as it may be on a first run-through, it's much better once you're familiar with the show as a whole, so I personally don't have anything against S1.

The Puppet Show is an outstanding episode, and not just from the first season alone; I love everything about it. Sid is hilarious and it introduces this idea into the show that was rarely shown again (S2's Kane comes to mind) which was human hunters battling the supernatural. A bigger example of that is Gunn and his crew on AtS. The idea of puppets coming to life will never not be creepy AF and this episode also introduced us to Snyder, in all his troll-ish glory. Overall, just a great MOTW.

The show had a great pilot episode, back-ended with an even greater finale in Prophecy Girl.

It gave us the twist in Witch, a great growing friendship between Buffy and her Slayerettes, we got Jenny Calendar out of the deal and a mythology that would only be built on more as the seasons progressed.

Yeah, there was the occasional bad acting, bad special effects, and bad writing, but for the most part, it did really well. Actually, now that I'm watching a younger generation reacting to the show on YouTube, I'm realizing that perhaps S1 has aged better than I ever thought. These reactors love S1, isn't it amazing? :D

I only vaguely recall when I first saw it. I think it helped that despite everyone wanting me to see it, I had low expectations of it (which ironically makes it easier for it to impress me). And I remember how the first scene grabbed me by the throat. ;)

Not counting the time I caught only part of a season 1 ep (and didn't understand it, which contributed to why I wasn't expecting much when I rented the entire season), I found it the right mix of light horror and fun. Given that it was winking at the audience and some of the dialog and humor was clever, I laughed with rather than at it. It didn't demand any effort on my part to understand, I just needed to turn off my brain and enjoy the ride, and by doing so I came to care about the characters by the end.

I do believe that had I started with season 2 as some said I should that I'd have rented the first 2 dvds and decided not to spend anymore time on it (though I'd have liked School Hard and Halloween), but as I got to like the characters in season 1 I got to care enough to not only get through the first 2 dvds, but actually enjoy them. (That said, I do enjoy season 2 more than season 1, but I needed season 1 to enjoy it.)

I should probably add that I'm not inclined to follow overpowered superheroes for long and I actually like how Buffy is obviously challenged (which means she's much braver when she takes on these horrors, as are the rest of the cast). While I also like how Buffy gets stronger and more skilled as the series progresses, there is the appeal of the somewhat humble beginnings of where she started her hero's journey.

Kratos

They talk about me in the chatty rooms?
I love season 1. It’s not my fav season, but I thought it was a good introductory one for the show if you don’t mind the cheesiness. Welcome to the Hellmouth is one of the best pilot episodes ever, imo. Never understood why some people didn’t like it. Only episode I don’t like is Teacher’s Pet (it just drags on and on, though there were a few good moments in it). I don’t really have nostalgia for season 1, though, as I only started watching Buffy from season 5 onward.

spikenbuffy

Share time, huh? Fine. I'll show you share time
I love S1 mainly because the characters have not suffer like they will later in the show when I see the scoobies in that season and what they will become later I'm amazed. But I hate Teacher's Pet and I robot You Jane and I would have prefered more episodes than 12 episodes because it's too short.

Evil Seal

Alright, 10 more minutes of chanting.
I absolutely LOVE season 1. The Master is my favourite villain and I love everything about this season. The bad episodes are amazing in their badness and I love them so much and Prophecy Girl is one of my favourite episodes of the series.
I remember falling head over heels in love with the series when I first saw the giant praying mantis in Teacher's Pet, even though I first watched it like 3-4 years ago. I loved that the show picked male virgins as victims instead of the usual tiny chaste blond girl who is appalled by the idea of having sex.
I adore the bad special effects of the whole season, I think they did a great job with a small budget.

Kratos
Kratos
I agree they did a great job with a small budget. Shows one doesn’t need a big budget to make a show like Buffy.

joseph

Tara & Willow Forever.
I think it's a great opening season, it's certainly not my least favourite of the seasons.

Darla was a great character, that I'm glad they introduced, really opening up Angel's background. The Master was a great villain too, one that going through the season you did wonder if he would be trapped forever or keep trying to get free.

The monster of the week format led to some memorable characters, like Marcie and Sid the dummy. It introduced not only vampire lore, but witches as well.
okay what I Like about it the witch episode & the pack & teacher pet this is has xander best episodes on it.

Top Bottom