• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Why do you love season 1 of BTVS?

WillowsFaith

Potential
I never had a problem with season 1. It’s great! some pacing issues, sure. And the 90’s effects are bad. But joss delivered with the characters. Xander behaved like a teenage boy, Willow was every shy girl in computer class, Cordy was the quintessential Mean Girl, and Giles mannerisms make him so lovable. If the core group wasn’t good, no one would continue watching. One of the best seasons of any show that made you feel like you were reliving highschool again. It has the Lizzie McGuire feel, like everyday of school is hell. Literal Monsters manifesting by childhood traumas was pretty rare to see on tv. I would watch this and Sabrina with my sister and it really made me feel less alone. I think that’s season 1’s greatest strength; Relatability. So the character introductions and the relatability factor is what makes me love season 1. If I had to say anything else negative about it other then the special effects, it would have to be the non-Vampire episodes. They are good and witch is a personal fan of mine. But wish joss focused more on vampires then other demons. Like make season 1 solely about vamps, then season 2 about other Demons, 3 About Gods, etc. just a thought

S

sweetiepie

I prefer skipping most episodes of season one. It is not among my favorite seasons.

NothingVentured

Potential
It is actually a good season. Only The Harvest, Teacher's Pet and I Robot You Jane are substandard episodes out of the twelve. The rest are good entertainment and the proof of this is, we got more seasons.

The idea that S1 sucks is a new fan meme. The worst episode is probably I Robot and even that has its moments. S1 is full of character moments, which is what a first season is meant to have. You can't have S2 without the structure and characterizations laid out in S1.

Ann

Nee chatwuann Bangel
Where I live, but really don't want to be.
It is the season that started it all and where we received an introduction to all the wonderful characters that we have come to love. In the first season we also got the over all theme of the show. Not only that it has mysterious Angel who wasn’t a vampire in the beginning until they decided to make him one in the episode Angel. I read that they were contemplating making him an actual Angel at first. We also got to hear the awesome theme song.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
I like season 1, I think the fact that it's only 12 episodes helps it. If it was 22 episodes of the quality of season 1, then maybe it wouldn't have worked as well. When I think about which season would I watch season 1 or 7? Probably season because it's only 12 episodes, but I do enjoy most of the episodes. I Robot, You Jane is one of the worst Buffy episodes though. But Prophecy Girl is great, and I don't hate Teacher's Pet. lol.

As weak as it may be on a first run-through, it's much better once you're familiar with the show as a whole, so I personally don't have anything against S1.
I think that's a good point, after you've seen the show, you can go back and appreciate the older episodes, and when the gang led less complicated lives.
The Master is my favourite villain
Me too! I love The Master, I love the campy performance, I love his look, I wish he did more, but I think he was a great first villain and I love the lore around him. He's this ancient vampire that's so old he doesn't look human anymore, and he has this cult following the Order of Aurelius, and he has different vamp powers, and his bones don't turn to dust. It's great.
But wish joss focused more on vampires then other demons. Like make season 1 solely about vamps, then season 2 about other Demons, 3 About Gods, etc. just a thought
That's interesting, because I don't think the show was ever conceived that way. I think it was always meant to be a show about the supernatural and various demonic creatures, even though it's titled "vampire slayer". Would have been an interesting approach though.

N
NothingVentured
"I don't think the show was ever conceived that way" -- It wasn't. It wouldn't have worked and would have gotten old quick.

Kendar

Townie
Season 1 of most shows (that aren't direct spinoffs) tend to be one of the weaker seasons of a show. But weaker doesn't mean bad. Likewise, last seasons tend to be on the weaker side as well (even if the show is scheduled to end instead of being yanked).

KaitKat

Potential
I used to rank Season 1 near the end now it’s one of my favorites. I honestly love that a lot of it is campy, enjoyable and not too heavy. None of the main characters have done awful things there aren’t any great questions of morality. In this Season how amazing Buffy is as a character is highlighted she’s, funny, smart, kind, and unapologetically a 16 year old girl. As much as I hate what they did to her character in Season 7 I can immediately follow it with Season 1 and I’ll fall love her character all over again and want to protect her. I also think in Prophecy Girl we see the conflict between Buffy the girl and Buffy the Slayer lates out perfectly and my heart breaks for her when she cries and tells Giles that she’s 16 years old she doesn’t want to die.

burrunjor

Scooby
Season 6 is the least popular season surely? That's at least what I always thought.

Season 1 is an excellent season meanwhile. The Master is a brilliant villain, the Vamps are at their scariest and most inhuman, it has one of the best finale's, and the core Scoobies are so innocent at this point.

Kimmci

Townie
Season 1 is my favourite season, well sometimes tied with season 2. I like the energy of the characters, they're still overall positive and their friendships are strong. Later seasons are just too depressing and the characters seem too beaten. Seasons 1-3 are usually the only in watch all the way through then just pick and chose episodes from the later series.

Top Bottom