• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Why do you love season 2 of BTVS?

Willow Tara

Scooby
Sineya
Okay this season is known as being the season where Buffy became great. And it's pretty well liked/loved in the Fandom. I have to confess, It's not one of my favourites, because I like the later seasons a bit more. But I still love season 2 a lot. Because I love all seasons of the Buffyverse.

What do you like/love about Buffy season 2? Let's discuss about the second season (Please mainly positive things. It's okay to say that you don't really like some aspects of season 2, but please focus on positive things in this thread.) I'll post my "answers" (why I love season 2) later.

S
sweetiepie
Because it was amazing!

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
What do I love about S2?
  • Spike
  • Spike & Drusilla
  • Angelus
  • The coupling; Giles/Jenny, Xander/Cordelia, Willow/Oz
  • Ethan Rayne
  • Giles backstory (Ripper)
  • Kendra, bad accent and all
  • Angel/us flashbacks, bad accent and all
  • Angelus' speech throughout Passion
  • Whistler's speech at the end of Becoming Pt. I
  • Buffy Summers - I love her more than ever in this season
  • The exploration and growth of every single character, including Cordelia; no one gets left by the wayside here
  • The humor, oh the humor - this is the season that gave me 'bitca' which I still use so often in day-to-day life
  • Spuffy team up!
  • That stunning season finale with the song and...I'm not crying, you're crying!!!

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
What do I love about S2?
  • Spike
  • Spuffy team up!

Yup. Season 2 is where Spuffy began. That's where Spike subconsciously started to fall for her.

NeonSlayer
NeonSlayer
I roll my eyes whenever fans say his feelings for her were retconned into s5 and began with an out of the blue wet dream. He was already attracted & fascinated with her in s2. The OOMM dream was just the first time he said "I love you" to her.
T
thrasherpix
And I roll my eyes whenever fans say Spike had feelings for her in season 2 when Spike very clearly loved Dru above everyone and all else. I never saw his attraction to her in that season and still don't.
thetopher
thetopher
I also roll my eyes because, generally speaking, if you like somebody you don't try and murder them so damn hard.
FaithLehane16
FaithLehane16
Me four.
D
Dora
Shake's head , Spike left her to die in S2

spikenbuffy

"Hi honey, I'm home"
Staff member
Yup. Season 2 is where Spuffy began. That's where Spike subconsciously started to fall for her.

Are you serious ? lol I don't think it is even as a Spuffy fan

Spanky
Spanky
Of course. It's right there on the screen. For those that have eyes let them see.
NeonSlayer
NeonSlayer
JM said he played Spike being attracted to her from the first time he saw her when she was dancing & on her period. Then you have him intensely watching the vid of her fighting and complimenting her "She's tricky, baby likes to play."

thrasherpix

Scooby
This is the season where Buffy went from just some cheesy fun to more of a serious show ('course s1 had serious moments, just as s2 has silly & cheesy moments, but the overall tone shifted). The stories became more interesting and connected to each other (like Xander remembering how to use a rocket launcher from Halloween and helping Buffy with it, speaking of which, I also like unorthodox plans that go against expectations), making it more immersive. Characters became more complex and even shown in a different light. Angelus was compelling, as was the end.

And this season has my favorite Joyce moment ("Get the hell away from my daughter!") as well as the never-saw-it-coming (for me anyway) follow up of Joyce casually asking Spike, "Have we met?"

It's the second half of the season that I truly love - once Angel is evil. It is the greatest tragic love story ever told - and knocks Romeo and Juliet into a cocked hat (it's much funnier, too). I love Passion and I Only Have Eyes for You and of course, Becoming. I know that Joss wrote each season finale to be a series finale as he didn't know if they would get picked up again, and - for me - had they finished Buffy there, it would have been totally complete. It did not need anything more added to it - though of course I am incredibly grateful that they did ad to it.

punchkicker15

Townie
One aspect of Season 2 that I like is that the Scoobies still seemed to care about one another. For example, there's so much mutual concern and protectiveness between Willow and Giles in I Only Have Eyes For You. Giles pulls Willow out of the vortex-thingy and checks up on her when she's teaching the computer class. Willow gives Giles Jenny's rose quartz for healing, and gently helps him reach the painful conclusion that the ghost isn't Jenny.

There's a lot less of this kind of stuff in the later seasons when the characters get more hardened, self-absorbed, and sometimes just plain callous about other people.

sosa lola

Scooby
I adore how close the Scoobies used to be, and how young and fresh they all were, and for superficial but very valid reasons:

Speedo Xander! (Go Fish)

Shirtless Xander! (Reptile Boy and BB&B)

Also Xander used to be incredibly smart and brave and central to the plot back then.

And that scene when Angel offered Xander to Spike as a pretty present and when Angelus brought Xander flowers in the hospital and they almost kissed.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Because, despite having some of the weakest episodes in the entire show (Inca Mummy Girl, Some Assembly Required, Go Fish, Bad Eggs, etc) it still has some of the best and one of (if not the) best arc in Angel/Angelus.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Because, despite having some of the weakest episodes in the entire show (Inca Mummy Girl, Some Assembly Required, Go Fish, Bad Eggs, etc) it still has some of the best and one of (if not the) best arc in Angel/Angelus.

I think the Pack would make a good Season 2 episode, particularly as Xander's possession by the hyena could be a foreshadowing of Angel's change into Angelus.

Puppet
Puppet
Despite the fact that The Pack is my least favorite S1 episode, I would have to agree with you.

Bop

Scooby
Sineya
All of the characters are so likeable and interesting and they really struck gold with the Angelus arc, Season 1 already proved that Buffy could do emotion like no other show and they ran with that in season 2 and the rest is history.
The way I see it, Season 2 walked so the later seasons could run and I’ll always love it for that :)

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
@thetopher "I also roll my eyes because, generally speaking, if you like somebody you don't try and murder them so damn hard."

I'm laughing so much at this... I cannot stop. He tries to kill her MULTIPLE times in s2 sometimes himself sometimes by hiring people because he is too busy to do it himself, he is annoyed with Angelus because he won't just rip her lungs out and be done with it, and then at the end of the season he looks over and sees she's about to get killed by Angelus and he shrugs it off without much of a care and leaves with Dru so like?? Help me out here people. I'm not feeling the love.

That being said, even I enjoyed the Spike and Buffy dynamics of s2. 'The reluctant allies who really don't like each other but must find a way to get along for their mutual benefit.'

Top Bottom