• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Why do you ship Spuffy?

This is a genuine question out of curiosity.
I'm not looking for a ship war. I just want to know why you guys ship Spuffy.
I wanna know what makes you like them.
I have never seen the appeal in ships like Spuffy or Delena, but I know a lot of people ship it, so I'm just wondering what is the appeal so maybe I can better understand it.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
Their story inspires me to be a better person honestly. Spike came from a place of seemingly unredeemable evil and was transformed by love into a hero. Buffy was his purpose, and he chose her over logic, what was easy, and what others said was better for him. Their continual message is that love conquers all, something everybody should try to live by.

Also, Buffy and Spike were there for each other when they most needed it. Spike was the only person to help Buffy deal with being alive again, Buffy was the only person to care for Spike when he was being triggered, Spike brought her back to the final battle, and Buffy stood by Spike at his death and told him what he needed to hear.

Spike and Buffy have monumental problems; I'm not blind. However the way they solve problems has always been substantially more important to me. Spike is exactly what Buffy should be against, so he makes a change to be the kind of man she deserves. Buffy at first is selfish in her treatment of Spike, so she selflessly cares for him later. Spike committed a sin that is often considered unforgivable. So he doesn't beg. He lets his actions speak and proves that he is a better person, while Buffy treats compassion as more valuable than anger in order to forgive him.

I've never seen a love that measures up to Spuffy, and I don't think I will. I can find countless examples of reasons they really shouldn't work, but I somehow can disprove all of them. I will always come back to looking at them with the eyes of Buffy in Showtime: admiration and devotion.

Their story inspires me to be a better person honestly. Spike came from a place of seemingly unredeemable evil and was transformed by love into a hero. Buffy was his purpose, and he chose her over logic, what was easy, and what others said was better for him. Their continual message is that love conquers all, something everybody should try to live by.

Also, Buffy and Spike were there for each other when they most needed it. Spike was the only person to help Buffy deal with being alive again, Buffy was the only person to care for Spike when he was being triggered, Spike brought her back to the final battle, and Buffy stood by Spike at his death and told him what he needed to hear.

Spike and Buffy have monumental problems; I'm not blind. However the way they solve problems has always been substantially more important to me. Spike is exactly what Buffy should be against, so he makes a change to be the kind of man she deserves. Buffy at first is selfish in her treatment of Spike, so she selflessly cares for him later. Spike committed a sin that is often considered unforgivable. So he doesn't beg. He lets his actions speak and proves that he is a better person, while Buffy treats compassion as more valuable than anger in order to forgive him.

I've never seen a love that measures up to Spuffy, and I don't think I will. I can find countless examples of reasons they really shouldn't work, but I somehow can disprove all of them. I will always come back to looking at them with the eyes of Buffy in Showtime: admiration and devotion.
Thank you for your thoughtful answer! I still don't see it... but definitely appreciate your thoughts.
If you have anything, I would love to hear!

Fool for Buffy
Fool for Buffy
Thanks for being respectful with your radical disagreement:D

Spanky

Sir Spanks-a-lot
Black Thorn
Spuffy* was one of the best ships on the show. It had light, fun, funny elements and Buffy and Spike interacted wonderfully together. Towards the end Buffy and Spike supported and trusted one another. There was caring and compassion between the two of them. They had each other's back and really asked for nothing in return. I adored Spuffy.

*Spike and Buffy's relationship post S5 I do not consider Spuffy. It's an aberration of what Spuffy was.

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
I don't see Spuffy as a OTP and I like to believe that they are only still together, because the comics are stuck in the past.

However, I really like Spuffy, especially in S5 and 6. I guess it is the rawness of it. We want intense emotionality and intense sexuality in our relationships, but in reality we need to temper these urges. Spuffy is like a slight perversion of something I think we all dream about.

I like how Spike represents the antitheses of depression. Depression is numbness, alienation and detachment. Spike lives, feels, grieves, loves, hungers and he does little to restrain himself.

I love how Buffy's slayer identity was a big part of Spike's attraction to her, because being the slayer is such a big part of who Buffy is. Riley couldn't deal with that. Angel thought Buffy would be happier if she could marry and start a family. Spike saw a proud Amazonian warrior who can survive anything. I love how upset he gets when she starts to lose herself to depression and coldness.

There is something about that scene in Dead Things, when he lets her batter him rather than let her give herself up to the police. "Why don't you explain it to me?" is such a great line.

... and Spike is pretty.

BuffyBot22
BuffyBot22
I like that contrast you pointed out about depression. I never noticed that til now!

Mrs Gordo

No one ever mattered. Not like she did.
Black Thorn
Angel thought Buffy would be happier if she could marry and start a family.
Oh for crying out loud, first why bring this up in this thread which is about why people ship Spuffy not why people DON'T ship Bangel. Second, Angel wanted Buffy to have the OPPORTUNITY to marry and start a family. You act like he had her betrothed and registered for Babys 'R Us. :rolleyes:

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
Oh for crying out loud, first why bring this up in this thread which is about why people ship Spuffy not why people DON'T ship Bangel. Second, Angel wanted Buffy to have the OPPORTUNITY to marry and start a family. You act like he had her betrothed and registered for Babys 'R Us. :rolleyes:
I don't see Spuffy as a OTP
Reunite Angel and Buffy.
Any complete feminist statement needs to tackle motherhood in some form. Buffy is the every girl, so it makes sense that she will eventually become a mother.

GraceK

Grr Arrg
I ship Spuffy because from start to finish it was interesting. ( I love Bangel too so this is not an either or situation :) ) I loved Spike from the moment he was introduced, and I loved when they teamed up in Becoming. I didn’t ship them then, it honestly never occurred to me, but the fact that these 2 enemies came together was GREAT. And they were hilarious together . Spike is endlessly dynamic and charming and funny. As the series progressed , he was such a great antagonist, and in season 4 it was such a brave move in my eyes to try to incorporate this villain into the scoobies. It was such a new concept and something I didn’t expect. And season 5 blew my mind because suddenly, it all made sense! Of course Spike was in love with Buffy! :) and the whole season turned the whole mythology of the series on its head. Watching Spike genuinely try to be someone worthy of Buffy’s love while soulless was very compelling, and to be honest I thought it was very funny also how he dealt with it. By Fool For Love I genuinely wanted Buffy to kiss him and I was sold on that relationship.

Fool for Buffy
Fool for Buffy
Spuffy in season 5 is by far at its best. With you on FFL
There are plenty reasons to ship Spuffy, the story is interesting and the characters are complex and have great connection. I think the interest in this kind of relationship is the fact they grew up from ennemies to lovers and it's an evolution that you can watch and it's wonderful. I myself ship them a lot in some moments. Despite being not a fan of season 7, despite having a problem with Buffy's treatment of Spike in that season, despite the unhealthy side of their relationship, I still think there is interesting bond between them and it's deepen and interesting to watch. I could never hate Spuffy, I can have problem with the execution of the relationship, I can be a Bangel, and still ship Spuffy in my way ! I think that when you don't ship a pairing it's because you don't see what the shippers see, and it's difficult for a shipper to explain why they love them, what they are seeing. You can try to understand, but if you don't feel it, you just...... don't feel it !

I can see and understand why Spuffy is appealing, I can call myself a shipper. I can see and understand why Delena is appealing, BUT I can't call myself a shipper !

Last edited:
Black Thorn
Antho
Antho
I have already see this on another thread I think. Thanks :)
Fool for Buffy
Fool for Buffy
I have seen this before, but I do love it :D

Taake

Bella
Staff member
Black Thorn
Let's not be so quick to jump down other member's throats. You asked why people ship Spuffy and a difference in the portrayal of the relationships may be a part of that. It was politely stated and unproblematic in the context of the thread topic. There is no need to assume a negative intent of a post.

Thanks for all of the great insight guys!!
Maybe on my next rewatch I might see something different than I did before. I do like the enemies turned lovers (huge fan of LoVe on Veronica Mars)
I just felt that a lot of Spuffy made both Spike & Buffy seem OOC. But, I appreciate all of the wonderful comments!!

crazysoulless
crazysoulless
LoVe was "friends turned enemies turned lovers" while Spuffy was "enemies turned rapey stalker turned lovers"
@BuffyBot22 Apologies - this is a partial cut/paste of something I wrote earlier but answers your question.

In a sense, I shipped Spuffy before BtVS was aired – it slotted into my interests at the time. To my mind, what the relationship re-presents is a deconstruction of itself and its own conditions of possiblity. In the process of deconstruction, it reconstructs the series, transforming it into an eutopic (or workable utopic) text. In order to be radically instrumental a utopian text distances itself from what is extant while simultaneously addressing the present with moral urgency. It projects itself into the future without leaping over the abyss it has uncovered and it encompasses both past and present without being reliant on either. In short, it’s both discontinuous and continuous with history and language: it expresses without saying and "is" while still becoming. It founds itself in the present in order to bridge us beyond it by persuading us along a trajectory whereby we can desire constructively and not need badly. This, IMO, is S7 (and I said it all without once referring to the phallus. Yay me).

I don't see Spuffy as a OTP and I like to believe that they are only still together, because the comics are stuck in the past.
I (politely) disagree on the last point (not necessarily the first). For me S7 culminates in a reconfiguration of desire. It plants the seeds for something – a utopian thought - only just coming to fruition in the comics (and I include A11 in this). I’ve nicked this from (T) Eagleton. ‘A utopian thought that does not risk simply making us ill [S6/Twilight] is one able to trace within the present that secret lack of identity with itself which is the spot where a feasible future might germinate - the place where the future overshadows and hollows out the present’s spurious repleteness. To “know the future” can only mean to grasp the present under the sign of its internal contradictions, in the alienations of its desire, in its persistent inability ever quite to coincide with itself.’

Don’t ask me what it all means – I’ve probably forgotten now.:( I’m too busy reading a Spuffy fan-fic where Man U score in extra time against Liverpool (Ain't love grand).

... and Spike is pretty.
...Oh yeah - this as well. ;)

Spike and Buffy have monumental problems; I'm not blind. However the way they solve problems has always been substantially more important to me.
...and this.:)

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
@TriBel

I am of a pessimistic disposition. You can't have your Spike and eat him, too. Spike's naive idealism as well as his damning flaws condemns him to a tragic end. That's just like the rules of storytelling.

TriBel
TriBel
"That's just like the rules of story=telling." I'm not gonna second guess Whedon but I think he set out to break the rules.
Spike's naive idealism as well as his damning flaws condemns him to a tragic end. That's just like the rules of storytelling.
Truth? It could (although I don't think he's as naïve and flawed as he was). However, the generic form of fantasy would allow him to live on in an AU (which I think is feasible) and that's why I'm not second guessing 12 (I'm not sure whether Whedon's aim is to break the rules). If he does die - it won't be without wisdom or self-knowledge - and I'm fairly sure there'll be a legacy. Strangely, just found this quote in some stuff from times gone by (LOL! be thankful I can't access floppy discs!). ‘Through my love, I exclude you from history* for a while, I take you for a child, and this means that I recognizes the unconscious motivations of your crime and allow you to make a new person out of yourself". I think it's Kristeva and I think it's to do with acknowledging the "maternal debt" (the fact that the mother has to give the child up to the symbolic father in order for the child to develop an identity and a sense of self). I think it's a nice quote when you consider the spoilers coming out for 12 - and it's apt because I've just finished watching Anne (which happens to be Spike's mum's name). And yay - still not mentioned the phallus! :)
*An AU would qualify as such an exclusion. Should add - not digression - this is still why I like Spuffy.

WillowFromBuffy
WillowFromBuffy
I love you, but I don't always understand you :p