• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Why do you think Cangel is forced?

Myheadsgonenumb

Potential
The thing is - I kind of imagine that if they ever had slept together, and he hadn't lost his soul, Cordelia would have got into a bit of a snit about it. Which would be ridiculous - because of course she doesn't want him to lose his soul... but our emotions and reactions are not always logical, especially when it comes to love. Every time he slept with her - and retained his soul, a little voice in the back of her head would be telling her that was because he didn't love her as much as he loved Buffy, she didn't make him as happy as Buffy did. And it wouldn't matter that Angel hadn't known about the curse that first time, and was now always on his guard and it was nothing to do with Cordy or Buffy. The truth wouldn't matter - because love and jealousy are not reasonable.

Angel might not see her as second fiddle. But Cordelia would grow to see herself that way. Think how hurt Darla is when he doesn't lose his soul in her - and she's evil! No relationship could ever survive this barometer of personal happiness - where there is hard proof that you are only second best... until the day you're not and he kills you and everyone you know.

If the build up was better written, I could buy them flinging caution to the wind and giving it a go - because they are both lonely. But it would be completely doomed from the start - and not in BAngel way, as in the problem is not that they stop loving each other but that the obstacles are too great, but in a way where the obstacles would erode away their love and trust bit by bit until there was nothing but misery left.

However I don't think the build up is good enough to warrant the caution flinging, or make it believable, and I think failing to address the problems inherent in any Angel relationship at any point, in the build up or the aftermath (such as either is) is bad writing.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
No relationship could ever survive this barometer of personal happiness - where there is hard proof that you are only second best... until the day you're not and he kills you and everyone you know.
Exactly. This is why it's such a problem for Cangel because Cordy was there when Angel lost his soul the first time. Although she wouldn't want the same thing to happen again, it is going to irk her a little that Angel's ex gave him that moment of perfect happiness whereas she doesn't. It's kind of that contradictory you don't want the bad thing to happen but at the same time your a little annoyed it doesn't because of what it signifies.

As you said, Darla was upset that Angel didn't lose his soul because she knows about the curse and what it signifies. Cordy is kind of in the same boat. At least Darla has the history with Angelus so she can blame Angel's soul for why she didn't give him that moment of perfect happiness, Cordy doesn't have that. Bangel happened when Angel was souled and he lost his soul as a result of the happiness Buffy gave him. Cangel is happening when Angel is souled and if he doesn't lose his soul then what does that say?

Had Cordy not been in Sunnydale, then I don't think the curse would be such an issue because she wouldn't have been around to witness all the Bangel drama and what went down, therefore Buffy giving Angel the moment of "perfect happiness" would be kind of an abstract concept, it's stated but has no meaning. However, because she was there, the curse and what it takes to break it has significance which means that she'll always feel like she's second best to Buffy because Buffy broke the curse and she doesn't. It would be a little thing that just gnaws away at her over time.

The problem with Cangel is that Cordy is the wrong character to hook him up with because of all the Sunnydale history. Some ships work better as fanon rather than canon, Cangel is one of them (as is Spuffy IMO). If Cordy was a brand new character to the Angel show, without the Sunnydale history, then it's possible Cangel could've worked if it was executed differently eg actually been allowed to develop without the other characters beating the audience over the head with it and without the Connor stuff.

Here's a question: Does the Sunnydale history have a negative impact on the shipability of Cangel which was then made worse by the Connor stuff, or was Cangel always going to pale in comparison to Bangel regardless of whether or not Cordy had been a new character to the show and thus didn't have the Sunnydale history? Did the Connor stuff kill Cangel dead?

katmobile

Scooby
You know you can just put me on Ignore, right?
I don't actually do that as I'm actually interested in what people think even if I massively disagree. I was actually being geunine when I thanked you for letting me know why you didn't like Fresley a pairing I don't actually have particularly strong opinions either way and can see both the pros and cons about. I think the real problem is that we have radically opposed opinions about one particular character but honestly I don't shut off debate it's not my style. You're free to ignore me if you disagree.

RachM
RachM
Okay, fair enough, but since this thread has nothing to do with that character (Spike, I assume) why bring it into this?

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
The thing is - I kind of imagine that if they ever had slept together, and he hadn't lost his soul, Cordelia would have got into a bit of a snit about it. Which would be ridiculous - because of course she doesn't want him to lose his soul... but our emotions and reactions are not always logical, especially when it comes to love. Every time he slept with her - and retained his soul, a little voice in the back of her head would be telling her that was because he didn't love her as much as he loved Buffy, she didn't make him as happy as Buffy did. And it wouldn't matter that Angel hadn't known about the curse that first time, and was now always on his guard and it was nothing to do with Cordy or Buffy. The truth wouldn't matter - because love and jealousy are not reasonable.
A LOT of fic was written on this back in the day. And some of it is very well written stuff. How Cordy would feel, the confusion of it all, the Buffy/perfect happiness question hanging over their heads. It's interesting, really.

Top Bottom