• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Why doesn't Buffy kill Harmony?

vznspike

Potential
Black Thorn
Pretty self explanatory

The answer to my own question is that, same as Spike, she has delight armour

Opinions?

S
SpikeRocks
I agree, delight armour.....delight armour protects many :)

Btvs fan

Scooby
Pretty self explanatory

The answer to my own question is that, same as Spike, she has delight armour

Opinions?
Buffy was bad but the worst was Angel in Not Fade Away. Not only does he not kill her for betraying him. He also gives her a reference. He let's a souless killer back on the streets with a Job reference while at the same ordering a Souled humans murder !

ChaseRules
ChaseRules
He must have liked Harmony :)

Priceless

Scooby
Apart from the delight factor, Harmony was an old school 'friend' not a stranger. I think knowing someone that well at school might be partly what held Buffy back. I also think Buffy probably felt responsible for her death and the guilt made her less ready to stake her. Also Harmony was pretty inept and easily defeated, so I'd guess Buffy never thought of her as a particular threat.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Harmony has minions! One of the few times we see Buffy laugh.

Not that Harmony is a leader, she needs the minions because she can't do much herself. Harmony is also responsible for Buffy escaping in Crush. She also tried to fight Xander twice (once when she got into Buffy's house courtesy of an invite by Dawn and once when she was burning Spike's stuff and Xander found her). If Xander could get away from her, not much point in getting a slayer involved.

[youtube]

vznspike

Potential
Black Thorn
Apart from the delight factor, Harmony was an old school 'friend' not a stranger. I think knowing someone that well at school might be partly what held Buffy back. I also think Buffy probably felt responsible for her death and the guilt made her less ready to stake her. Also Harmony was pretty inept and easily defeated, so I'd guess Buffy never thought of her as a particular threat.
This actually makes sense

Priceless
Priceless
Thank you. It's nice to know I do occasionally make sense :-)

vznspike

Potential
Black Thorn
Harmony has minions! One of the few times we see Buffy laugh.

Not that Harmony is a leader, she needs the minions because she can't do much herself. Harmony is also responsible for Buffy escaping in Crush. She also tried to fight Xander twice (once when she got into Buffy's house courtesy of an invite by Dawn and once when she was burning Spike's stuff and Xander found her). If Xander could get away from her, not much point in getting a slayer involved.

[youtube]
I don’t agree with Harmony being responsible for Buffy’s escape in Crush. I don’t believe Spike would have freed Dru for a second. I know she’s pretty harmless but misguided right she could do some damage purely for her lack of brain cells. A delightful lack of them but a definite lack of them

Priceless

Scooby
As a whole, Buffy became a lot less aggressive towards demons after season 4. At least it seems that way
I think you're right. Season 5 became so focused on Dawn and Glory, vampire slaying became less important. In Season 6 Buffy's heart wasn't in it anyway and Season 7 was the end of the world and vampires seem such small fry when facing the end.

In the comics vampires made a comeback, and many mutated into the much worse zompires. Plus we had Archeus, the demon daddy of all the vamps. Harmony became a superstar and Buffy and the scoobies worked alongside Vicky the vampire.

Benz

Potential
I just thought Harmony never really got in Buffy way and Harmony basically run away form Buffy moment she turned up to come get Dawn after Harmony kidnapped Dawn.

white avenger

white avenger
Buffy never killed Harmony for the same reason that she didn't stake Spike right after he was chipped in Season 4. Contempt. Buffy is a little bit too self assured, and it sometimes gets her in real trouble. She's an excellent fighter, certainly, but, because of that skill, she often underestimates an opponent, much the way that she did Spike when they first fought in "School Hard," and it almost cost her her life. She did the same thing in Season 4, and a completely normal vampire managed to stab her with her own stake. She looks at Harmony and sees, not a dangerous, blood sucking predator, but the bumbling, stumbling Cordelia minion that she was all through high school. It doesn't help that she's died twice, and just keeps coming back. Buffy puts too much faith in her power, and one day, it just might catch up with her.

vznspike

Potential
Black Thorn
Buffy never killed Harmony for the same reason that she didn't stake Spike right after he was chipped in Season 4. Contempt. Buffy is a little bit too self assured, and it sometimes gets her in real trouble. She's an excellent fighter, certainly, but, because of that skill, she often underestimates an opponent, much the way that she did Spike when they first fought in "School Hard," and it almost cost her her life. She did the same thing in Season 4, and a completely normal vampire managed to stab her with her own stake. She looks at Harmony and sees, not a dangerous, blood sucking predator, but the bumbling, stumbling Cordelia minion that she was all through high school. It doesn't help that she's died twice, and just keeps coming back. Buffy puts too much faith in her power, and one day, it just might catch up with her.
Don't know if she underestimates Spike, I definitely don't agree that what got her in trouble in School Hard was being over-confident, that was more his tune in that episode.
You're definitely right about the FFL situation, and a lot of the time it applies until she gets a proper beating, but, for some reason, I don't feel that is the reason behind not killing Harmony, I actually think @Priceless was bang on the interpretation

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Don't know if she underestimates Spike, I definitely don't agree that what got her in trouble in School Hard was being over-confident, that was more his tune in that episode.
Spike caught Buffy off-guard by attacking on the Thursday instead of the Saturday so she was unprepared. Spike was caught off-guard because he thought he was dealing with Buffy alone and not her friends and family. The element of surprise is what endangered them both.

vznspike
vznspike
Agreed but Spike was over confident in his to dispatch a slayer otherwise he would have waited for the night of St Vigeous like he was supposed to, it was a rash decision on his part, led by his certainty

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
I think she also see Harmony as someone she knew & since Harmony was never vicious Buffy was never angry enough to kill her .
And someone who got into a slap fight with Xander is no threat to anyone :D

burrunjor

Potential

Yeah that's a good reason in universe. I always felt Buffy and Angel were a bit irresponsible in some of the Vamps they let go. Angel letting Lawson and Spike go in Why We Fight for instance was awful. From a practical point of view we know that you can't let any Vamp go because they have to kill people to survive and Spike in particular, Angel knows is unbelievably dangerous as he has taken down a Slayer already.

Again though you're right that you have to consider the emotional attachment these people have in universe to these characters. Angel couldn't kill either out of guilt as he felt responsible for both, (And he was.) Whilst Buffy as you say could probably never see Harmony as anything other than the bumbling oaf she knew for years (despite the fact that she had tortured and killed dozens of people.)

I will say Buffy's worst moment as a Slayer is letting Dru go in Crush. The First Slayer's ghost should have had a word with her after that.

Priceless
Priceless
Well as a Spuffy fan I would say Buffy let Dru go because she knew how killing her would deeply impact Spike lol
Top Bottom