• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Why dont more Buffy fans enjoy SHIELD?

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I tried a few episodes but just couldn't get into it. I disliked Fitz and Simmons (the woman more so) and I disliked Daisy (I think that's her name).

Maria Hill is completely absent from the series whilst the AoS characters are completely absent from the movies so it feels disjointed from the MCU. Why isn't Coulsin back in the movies if he's alive? Was AoS affected by Thanos' snap?

Octavia
Octavia
AKA Quake

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I tried a few episodes, but it was just too...scattered, for want of a better term. *shrugs*
Scattered is a good word to describe it. Should be my middle name!

I tried a few episodes but just couldn't get into it. I disliked Fitz and Simmons (the woman more so) and I disliked Daisy (I think that's her name).

Maria Hill is completely absent from the series whilst the AoS characters are completely absent from the movies so it feels disjointed from the MCU. Why isn't Coulsin back in the movies if he's alive? Was AoS affected by Thanos' snap?
I agree it is disjointed from the movies. I havent seen all of the movies. It is set pre thanos snap (i think). Coulson has a period of hiding the resurection tech (that could be my fanwank, I prefer the later seasons and dont remember the details). It does start poor imo the flying car made me cringe.

Hydra is the biggest crossover point.

No one likes Daisy 😅 Skye is better. SkyeWard was where it picked up for me. But I also adore Fitzsimmons so its prob not a show for people who dislike the characters - they are the action point. Ta for input :)

Because it sucks.
I thought you of all people would like sucky things?

DeadlyDuo
DeadlyDuo
Was she not called Daisy?

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
I'm not sure because once you get into the heart of the show, ie past season 1, it's a lot like Buffy. But then I think a lot of Buffy fans would have dismissed the first season of Buffy if it was a new show.

Octavia
Octavia
Yeah I agree
Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Fair point. Have heard AOS is a slow starter.

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.
I actually miss the spy drama of the first seasons, before they went into pure fantasy. I often think the show may have been better if it was not part of the Marvel Universe.

I do find myself get bored with it sometimes. So much so that I feel I have fallen out of love with it. But then they regularly do this amazing episodes that completely blow me away. The episode with Fitz and Simmons in the computer simulation this season was much closer to the awesomeness of "Restless" than the highly overrated "The Attic" from Dollhouse managed to be, probably because the Dollhouse characters had less established backstories. And the episode with Deek and Moe and their company had me roaring with laughter.

But it is very different from Buffy. It is like a more whimsical and fantastical version of Dollhouse.

Bluebird
Bluebird
How is it so very different?

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.
@Bluebird It's not a coming of age story, it is not set in a high school, every episode is not centred around a theme, we hardly ever see the characters do normal-person-stuff, apart from some notable exceptions, there is rarely any obvious relation between inner and outer demons sortaspeak, etc, etc.

I see a lot of continuity between AoS and Dollhouse, but very little back to Buffy. I have a hard time coming up with things the shows have in common.

P.S. Then go watch Fast and the Furious.

Last edited:
Bluebird
Bluebird
I think it has more similarites on an emotion level, the chosen family etc, not so much on the aesthetics or setting, which isn't what sticks with me after watching :)

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
I tried it, wanted to like it but I just didn't enjoy it. I can't even remember why now to be honest. Possibly the dialogue and characters. I remember liking the back end of Season 1 and then losing interest again at the start of 2

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I tried it, wanted to like it but I just didn't enjoy it. I can't even remember why now to be honest. Possibly the dialogue and characters. I remember liking the back end of Season 1 and then losing interest again at the start of 2
With most shows I find some seasons/arcs I like and others I don't. I found the end of season one a bit too MCU movie like and I didnt like the ghostrider arc but loved agents of hydra and basically everything since then. I want to go back and watch it again but would defo skip some bits, like I do with Buffy and Angel. I didnt take you to be one to like it! So its cool you gave it a go :)

Season 6 was very pretty and linked back to some earlier seasons so I defo want to check them out again. The themes are so similar to what we have seen before in the Jossverse.

Cohen

Warrior
I haven’t been able to get through season 3. I really liked seasons 1 & 2. Season 3 didn’t seem to have direction.

WillowFromBuffy
WillowFromBuffy
Just stick with it, and it will draw you in again. There are dips in quality from time to time, but they always get back up with a vengeance.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
I watched the first episode, looking for the trademark twists like the first scene of Buffy where Darla and the boy sneak into the high school and Darla becomes the killer. But there was no such thing in AoS. I was waiting for the snappy dialogue that put character in the characters. It went missing. If an actor missed a line, I could have given it to him. It all looked so formulaic and unfortunately it failed to distinguish itself in any way and looked like an after-school special. Sorry, but we get over a hundred channels and in this case, however much better it may have gotten in later seasons, my first impression was that this could not be the best thing on TV or even worth watching and the first impression was the last. As they say, you never get a second chance to make a first impression.

Black Thorn
Because I’m not really that into Marvel. I like some stuff like Deadpool, a few of the Thor movies and I don’t mind the Captain America ones either, but I never really go out of my way to watch them. If I loved Marvel, I would definitely have watched it by now.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
The relationships echo the rest of the Jossverse, as far as I know he wasnt as heavily involved with the show as his others but the people controlling it were obvious fans.

Just at face value alone -
Coulson and Daisy = Giles and Buffy
Skye and Ward = Buffy and Angel
Skye and Gemma = Inara and Kaylee

Individually
Ward can be Jayne-like but more of a solider
Fitz is similar to Wesley with the dark side
Mac is a caring protector like Victor
May is kickass like Faith, escaping a past she'd rather forget (the cavalry), a trained terminator like River

Themes
Free will vs world peace
Power and corruption

Im sure there is more but my brain hurts from lack of oxygen.

DeadlyDuo
DeadlyDuo
So I was right about the Daisy name, Thought I'd gotten it wrong there.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
Always thought that FitzSImmons reminded me of early season Xander & Willow in their relationship/friendship wise.

Top Bottom