• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Why don't Willow and Tara get jobs?

NothingVentured

Potential
I’m always intrigued about what the writers were intending with this. Did they want us to be like hang on a minute why aren’t the other two adults in the house having to support financially? Or were we just not supposed to think about it?

Like it could have been easily sorted in a throwaway line with Willow saying something like they work a few shifts tutoring to bring in money but it’s not enough. Instead I get far too irrationally angry at everyone just staring at Buffy from the opposite side of the room with a stack of bills that haven’t been paid while we see nothing to suggest they’re even paying a few dollars rent
I doubt they ever really thought about it. Same thing with Giles never giving her compensation from his Watcher's salary. It's suggested in the show that Watchers take care of things in the cases of Kendra and Wood and possibly Faith before they were killed. But we're never told Giles does jack-all. He didn't help pay to get her tattoo removed or to fix Joyce's Jeep and we're apparently supposed to think him giving her some money in Life Serial was some magnanimous gesture.

T
thrasherpix
Though there was that one time that he strangely spent a lot of money taking plane trips around the country looking for her after she bugged out in s2. Wonder how many sick days he used.

WillowsFaith

Townie
I’m more surprised that Joyce could afford that house just by being a artist. and how was Buffy able to still pay bills by just working a fast food joint? $5/hr? That’s roughly minimum wage in 2002. Willow should have used a wealth spell, or Giles could have sign a grantor lease at least. Ironically Xander was probably the most financially stable of the Scoobies.

V
VampireSlayer07
Joyce was not an artist, she owned an art gallery. Huge difference right there. They also did come from LA and I'm not sure what Joyce and Hank did but it might have been profitable.

WillowsFaith

Townie
I’m more surprised that Joyce could afford that house just by being a artist. and how was Buffy able to still pay bills by just working a fast food joint? $5/hr? That’s roughly minimum wage in 2002. Willow should have used a wealth spell, or Giles could have sign a grantor lease at least. Ironically Xander was probably the most financially stable of the Scoobies.
Oh, I didn’t know there was a difference.

Top Bottom