• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Why is Drusilla so under appreciated?

S Rou

Potential
She really is under appreciated. For a character who was such a huge part of season 2 when the show was in it's prime, shes extremely overlooked.

I feel like Darla also gets very under appreciated, but I feel like her case is more understandable because she really isn't Angel's true love... She was Angelus' girl, not Angel's. So when Buffy came into the picture, obviously Darla was going to get the short end of the stick.

I feel like Drusilla and Spike were so timeless together. Spuffy never made sense to me (other than as a rebound pairing after Riley) and I felt like it was very one sided and Spike's "love" is more like infatuation. I'm not trying to turn this into a Bangel vs. Spuffy debate, but in defense of Sprusilla (a pairing that I, and many, love), it seemed like Spike and Dru actually went together very well and genuinely cared about each other until Spike went soft and alienated her.

Even without the topic of romance, when Spike was in his prime as a villain with Angelus in season 2, he was really twisted and evil before he went soft in later seasons. Despite this, I honestly think that Drusilla is far more evil and terrifying and dangerous and threatening than Spike even when he was in his prime in season 2. The way that she killed Kendra with barely lifting a finger and how crazy and terrifying she was like when she rose from all tbe rubble in that church and dragged Spike up with one hand and carried him out... And her background as the Christian obsessed girl from England who was twisted into insanity... She is so effing creepy... I really do think that she is far more evil, terrifying, and threatening than Spike even when he was in his prime.... Why is she so under appreciated?

Another thing that bothered me about Dru is that out of the original big four vamps... She's really the only one still at large... Spike and Angel have repented and gone good.... Darla had her story and seemed like she gave up her evil ways when she became a mother and died in childbirth... Yet Dru is still evil and at large... She never had a redemption arc... I think this is really sad...

Slayerofslayers

We're going to destroy the world. Want to come?
I totally agree she is really under appreciated as a character. I think she has a lot more depth and potential as a character than a lot of people give her credit for. Her backstory and her love for her family and Spike that remains despite her being a soulless vampire are the things that intrigue me the most about her. Despite her being a villain I think she is a sympathetic one and I feel bad for her since it wasn't her fault that she was driven insane and made a vampire when that wasn't what she wanted as a human. She was also a great and effective (not to mention scary and creepy) villain that I wish could have made more appearances and I wish her character could have been developed and explored more. She is definitely one of my top favorite villains on the show.

And yes I think it would be neat for her to have some kind of redemption considering that out of the main four Dru was the one that didn't want to be evil or a vampire the most. I think it would be interesting to see how having her soul returned or something like that would affect her. I know in the comics that happened and she went even more insane but if there was a way for her to regain her sanity somehow and become good I think it could be an interesting story.

But yeah, Dru is one of my top favorite characters. I just love her personality. She makes every scene she is in more enjoyable and has many great moments. Juliet Landau really made the character with her great acting.

S Rou

Potential
I totally agree she is really under appreciated as a character. I think she has a lot more depth and potential as a character than a lot of people give her credit for. Her backstory and her love for her family and Spike that remains despite her being a soulless vampire are the things that intrigue me the most about her. Despite her being a villain I think she is a sympathetic one and I feel bad for her since it wasn't her fault that she was driven insane and made a vampire when that wasn't what she wanted as a human. She was also a great and effective (not to mention scary and creepy) villain that I wish could have made more appearances and I wish her character could have been developed and explored more. She is definitely one of my top favorite villains on the show.

And yes I think it would be neat for her to have some kind of redemption considering that out of the main four Dru was the one that didn't want to be evil or a vampire the most. I think it would be interesting to see how having her soul returned or something like that would affect her. I know in the comics that happened and she went even more insane but if there was a way for her to regain her sanity somehow and become good I think it could be an interesting story.

But yeah, Dru is one of my top favorite characters. I just love her personality. She makes every scene she is in more enjoyable and has many great moments. Juliet Landau really made the character with her great acting.
I don't think that was her soul in the comics though... Wasn't it Spike's soul? That might explain why she became more in insane.

Slayerofslayers

We're going to destroy the world. Want to come?
I don't think that was her soul in the comics though... Wasn't it Spike's soul? That might explain why she became more in insane.
Oh yeah you're right my bad I forgot that it was Spike's soul that he gave to her lol. That makes it even more interesting then if her soul was restored instead of having Spike's soul to see what would happen and how it would affect her. Maybe having her soul could help her come back from being insane somewhat eventually somehow or maybe not I'm not sure. I feel like she shouldn't feel as guilty as Spike and Angel did when they got their souls back because part of the reason she was one of the most evil vampires was due to the insanity caused by Angelus.

GwenRaiden

AKA Apology Girl
Black Thorn
Under-appreciated by the show creators? Because everyone seems to love Drusilla within the fandom.

It's a shame she wasn't utilised more within both shows. But I liked what they did with her when she was on-screen. Dru was always present in some big moments for our main characters, eg. Buffy- the killing of Kendra and everything that went down in Becoming, and Angel- his descent into (ensouled) darkness in season 2 of AtS. I think she worked best as a side-villain in those scenarios with her eccentricity and quirky dialogue. Too much Dru and we might not all have loved her as much as we do.

It would be interesting to know if Dru wasn't used so much because the writers struggled to fit her in around the other characters, or if maybe Juliet wasn't always available or maybe wanted to do other stuff. I guess maybe post-S2 (Buffy) they worried that it would have stopped Spike's character growth if Dru was around too much.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
I was so excited when Dru made her dramatic entrance in The Trial because I was like "how have we not seen her again?!" She was fantastic in season 2 and insanely terrifying. When she wasn't killed off I figured we would see much more of her. But she was somehow only in the present day in 4 more episodes. I have enjoyed her role in the comics, as she returns a lot like she should.

Loved her and Darla together in Angel too. Don't get why they only kept them together for a couple of episodes. They were set up as this massive threat to Angel and then just dropped.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
Loved her and Darla together in Angel too. Don't get why they only kept them together for a couple of episodes. They were set up as this massive threat to Angel and then just dropped.
Especially when Drusilla explains that she and Darla are working together to Spike in Crush. That implies that she is going back and instead it's the last time we see her in present day.

Dru is just plain awesome. I really wish that Sprusilla had stayed together and that Dru's vision of Spuffy was actually Willow's spell in Something Blue. Just imagine if Spike, Dru and Darla had teamed up in Season 2 of Angel. It would be Angel Investigations vs The Whirlwind in a battle for Angel's soul. Angel would be torn between his old family and his new one.

I love how Dru and Spike's relationship showed there was more to vampires than just being mere monsters that needed slaying. Dru is always on Spike's mind, she is either mentioned by him or appears in a scene with him in every season of the show (which is interesting as it reminds the audience about Sprusilla when you'd think the writers would want to try and turn the focus towards Spuffy). For me, Dru is Spike's one true love, she was there before Buffy and she'll be there long after Buffy snuffs it. :D

Dru isn't under appreciated at all, most people seem to love her. Personally I found her a difficult watch, but okay in small doses. Her portrayal was too mannered and affected. I realise this grandiosity was part of her insanity but the little tics and mannerisms were too overblown and crept into cariacture. She stood out as trying for a grotesque effect when everyone else was attempting to be more 'real'. I'm glad we didn't see more of her but she's better in the comics than on the screen.

If you haven't read the Spike/Drusilla story in Tales of the Vampires (Vam-pyres) you're in for a treat. The love just oozes off the page. Dru at her maddest, Spike at his finest. They should make new t-shirts with the slogan "Date a man who'll kill for you the way Spike kills for Drusilla".

If you haven't read the Spike/Drusilla story in Tales of the Vampires (Vam-pyres) you're in for a treat. The love just oozes off the page. Dru at her maddest, Spike at his finest. They should make new t-shirts with the slogan "Date a man who'll kill for you the way Spike kills for Drusilla".
Is that a comic? I would be up for reading that.

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
Dru left everyone wanting more. Spike left a lot of people wishing they had gotten less.
I feel like Darla also gets very under appreciated
I don't know. Darla was pretty forgettable on Buffy. It is a good thing they brought her back on Angel and that they did not change actors.

Dru left everyone wanting more. Spike left a lot of people wishing they had gotten less.
I think the problem with Spike was how he was used eg Pining over Buffy for 3 straight seasons so much that his entire storyline became about her, rather than the amount he was used per se. I would've happily sacrificed some Spike screentime for more Sprusilla goodness though.

Is that a comic? I would be up for reading that.
I can't navigate this damned site so apologies if this ends up elsewhere. Yes - it's in Tales of the Vampires Part 3 and it's called "The Trouble with Vampires" It's only short - 10 pages - but it's poetry (metaphorical - it doesn't rhyme!). I want the last frame on the penultimate page as a poster. I've got the library edition (TBH I've got all the library editions - I'm not a purist), which contain all the Tales of the Slayers and Tales of the Vampires (Vam-pyres) comics. It's 300 pages long and cost about £20.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Thanks. Sounds pretty good values.

Living Dead Boy

Joss Is A Very Flawed Boss
Black Thorn
I have once met a fellow who didn't quite appreciate our girl Dru. No, he isn't dead, he is in fact my roommate. Haha! Apparently he wasn't fond of the character, rolling his eyes and calling her annoying every time she pops up on the screen. To each his own I guess. I, however, adored Drusilla, and wished she was utilised a lot more than she was.

I mean, come on. ;):p:D