• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Why is Drusilla so under appreciated?

Here's a question. For those of you who don't like Spike's change post-S3, would you have liked to have seen Spike as a good guy (if he ever was fully a good guy), but with Dru heavily involved in his storyline? Like you could have Dru constantly reminding him of his dark roots and playing him off against the Scoobies?

Here's a question. For those of you who don't like Spike's change post-S3, would you have liked to have seen Spike as a good guy (if he ever was fully a good guy), but with Dru heavily involved in his storyline? Like you could have Dru constantly reminding him of his dark roots and playing him off against the Scoobies?
I would've loved Spike and Dru to get back together. I think the easiest way to incorporate them more would be to give Dru the chip, that way Spike would have to play nice in order to protect her and Dru can't kill to feed. Dru also feels a strong sense of family so it would be nice if she starts to get attached to some of the scoobies. It would freak the scoobies out but given Dru's insanity, they accept that it's just her way of trying to build friendships even if they don't quite know how to respond to her attempts.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Interesting idea.
I don`t think Dru was underrated at all. She was a fascinating character, one of the best characters of the show and Juliet Landau was one of the best actresses.

But I agree, that she somehow just vanished during the show. As far as I remember, she left through the sewers in Crush on BtVS and was never mentioned again, except for flashbacks to the past and her appearances as the First Evil. But it was never ever mentioned, what happened to her, where she was and if she was still alive - well undead - and kicking.

They might have given her a proper ending. It wouldn`t have to be a dusty ending, but they could have tied up the loose end of her story line nicely. Just forgetting abbout her was indeed a little bit under appreciating.

Flow

Athena

Belinda
Staff member
Black Thorn
I also think we could have seen a lot more of Dru's power. She clearly had the gift of foresight, that would have been cool to utilise.... maybe she could have been the one to prophecise something and Buffy has to stop it, only for it to come true anyway..... or Dru could enthrall someone like Xander or Giles and attempt to turn them before Buffy saves the day.

So much villainous potential, wasted. :(

I read a tumblr theory (Yes, tumblr) that Drusila got done wrong by the centering of her breakdown and subsequent mental illness as played (sometimes) as a punch line.

I do not think every thing has to be politically correct, nothing should be serious with a capital S, this is a new kind of puritanism but I am intrigued by the idea of having a episode on Angel where Drusilla instead of Darla was resouled and her mental illness was given the kind of gravitas that dignified the character, instead of there is that kooky Dru again treatment.

I think Wolfram and Hart missed out, to me it feels like aa devastating rebuke to the entire Angel enterprise, it calls into question the whole this is a man worthy of redemption the.

And the father-daughter sire relationship they had with the insinuated sexual abusish relationship, I can see how this might have been to strange and dark for some taste / the WB but it can be all metaphor, they did push the boundaries and went for the norish vibe. They were going for dark for s2 but I wonder if "calling into question" to many reasons to hate Angel was reason they didn't bring back Dru because I don't like that reason. I like things complex, if your going for gothic noir go all the away, don't go twlight.

Last edited:

AnthonyCordova

Earth Invasion Taskforce Unlimited
Sineya
I don't think it was necessary to have a redemption arc, but she's an asset, for sure; she immediately improved every episode she appears in to me. I agree with those above that there was a lot of potential with her character that was left untried.

I've always wondered if W&H could've removed Spike's chip. Given their massive influence, surely they know a brain surgeon or two? Dru could've coaxed him back to LA with that offer.

I also think we could have seen a lot more of Dru's power. She clearly had the gift of foresight, that would have been cool to utilise.... maybe she could have been the one to prophecise something and Buffy has to stop it, only for it to come true anyway..... or Dru could enthrall someone like Xander or Giles and attempt to turn them before Buffy saves the day.

So much villainous potential, wasted. :(
I think some of Dru's prophecies are self-fulfilling eg she saw Spike in love with Buffy and split up with him. This then sent him back to Sunnydale where Buffy was. If she hadn't split up with him, he never would've gone back to Sunnydale.

Just imagine Dru in Season 7 delivering the "From beneath you, it devours" speech.

The First could've really gone to town if Dru had been the one in Spike's position in Season 7. Nobody would know whether what she was saying was true or not. When Spike says he sees something, the scoobies know that something is up because Spike's not crazy. With Dru, the scoobies wouldn't know if there actually was something going on or whether it was just Dru being Dru. The First would appear to her as either Darla, Angel or Spike and tell her to do things and Dru would follow.

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
Those are good ideas
Spike's thoughts during his reunion kiss with Dru in "You haven't changed a bit" Chapter 4. (Spike Comics).

"So much wrong with this. There are a thousand things I could be doing that would make more sense. Fighting, running, diving headfirst into Illyria's fist. I've been around every block. I'm not stupid. This isn't normal. It was never normal even when it felt right. I know that it's probably about to come crashing down...but right now...at this moment, if only for a moment, I am home. It's always been a dysfunctional home to be sure. Not the safest home. Bordering on condemned. Not in the best neighbourhood per se. But I know it. I'm used to it. I've lived there for years."

Aah...This and The Problem with Vampires are probably my favourite comics stories.

Spike's thoughts during his reunion kiss with Dru in "You haven't changed a bit" Chapter 4. (Spike Comics).

"So much wrong with this. There are a thousand things I could be doing that would make more sense. Fighting, running, diving headfirst into Illyria's fist. I've been around every block. I'm not stupid. This isn't normal. It was never normal even when it felt right. I know that it's probably about to come crashing down...but right now...at this moment, if only for a moment, I am home. It's always been a dysfunctional home to be sure. Not the safest home. Bordering on condemned. Not in the best neighbourhood per se. But I know it. I'm used to it. I've lived there for years."

Aah...This and The Problem with Vampires are probably my favourite comics stories.
It always bugs me when the writers seem to feel the need to put down Sprusilla in order to big up Spuffy. Spike's relationship with Dru was different to the one he has with Buffy, but that doesn't mean it is of lesser worth than his current relationship. Spike was happy with Dru and they loved each other, that should be what matters, not this ridiculous "it was never normal" crap. Who's to say what's a "normal" relationship? Is there guidelines and rules, criteria you have to fit for your relationship to be described as "normal?"

Spuffy needs to stand on its own too feet rather than the writers putting down Sprusilla and Bangel in order to make it look better. Tillow never needed to put down Woz in order to be accepted or be considered Willow's OTP, so why does Spuffy feel like it has to do that to both Sprusilla and Bangel?

Who's to say what's a "normal" relationship? Is there guidelines and rules, criteria you have to fit for your relationship to be described as "normal?"
Probably - well "unwritten rules" - I think that was the problem for Spike & Buffy and, TBH, I think there was a subtext that was writing against it. I love Spike and Dru in the comics! I want frames from The Problem with Vampires blown up for my living room. I'd have to redecorate but it' a small price to pay. :)

It always bugs me when the writers seem to feel the need to put down Sprusilla in order to big up Spuffy. Spike's relationship with Dru was different to the one he has with Buffy, but that doesn't mean it is of lesser worth than his current relationship. Spike was happy with Dru and they loved each other, that should be what matters, not this ridiculous "it was never normal" crap. Who's to say what's a "normal" relationship? Is there guidelines and rules, criteria you have to fit for your relationship to be described as "normal?"

Spuffy needs to stand on its own too feet rather than the writers putting down Sprusilla and Bangel in order to make it look better. Tillow never needed to put down Woz in order to be accepted or be considered Willow's OTP, so why does Spuffy feel like it has to do that to both Sprusilla and Bangel?
I should explain I wasn't criticising the speech - I think it's moving. In fact, I thought the whole story was far more moving than Spuffy - and funnier!

SPIKE (to Dru): You're a soulless killer. And worse, you cheat on your boyfriends. BECK: That's not worse. Cheating's not at all worse than killing. SPIKE: You weren't there. Don't take her side. LoL!

And "Imagine a wall. Respect it. Respect the wall" - that's my new mantra.

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
My first long form (67K words) fic was How Drusilla Got Her Soul Back. My feeling at the time was that she deserved her redemption. In my opinion, even Darla was redeemed when she gave her life to save Connor. So I had to fix that bit of asymmetry and let her fight for her redemption too!

Other than Buffy, she's the character I enjoy writing the most. The fact that she isn't just a pretty face made Juliet's portrayal of Dru indelible on my psyche. Once she was there, I found I needed her in my own post series universes, so i have created space for her. She's in my heart!

Dru isn't under appreciated at all, most people seem to love her. Personally I found her a difficult watch, but okay in small doses. Her portrayal was too mannered and affected. I realise this grandiosity was part of her insanity but the little tics and mannerisms were too overblown and crept into cariacture. She stood out as trying for a grotesque effect when everyone else was attempting to be more 'real'. I'm glad we didn't see more of her but she's better in the comics than on the screen.
Maybe it's because I worked in a psych ward for a spell and I've known several immensely talented, but not so well people, but Dru doesn't seem that unbelievable to me. If I'd been a virgin novitiate with visions, and someone had stalked my family and murdered them all and then hunted me down and killed me in a convent surrounded by the blood and the dying cries of my sisters -- I'm not sure there would have been much of my mind left either.

Top Bottom