• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Why the hell don't Willow and Tara get jobs?

caitaintdead

caiters gonna cait
Black Thorn
Xander had just a high school diploma (bad grades at that) yet by 18-19 he was:
* construction worker
* ice cream truck driver
* phone sex operator
* health bar seller
* dishwasher in strip club
* Hot Dog on a Stick employee
* pizza deliveryman
* bartender
Agree. If Xander was able to find all those jobs easily I see no reason why Tara and Willow would have struggled to find casual work.

I have spoken at length over the years about the lack of financial sense throughout the series but will sum it up quite simply - I think the writers were all too financially stable to ever really consider what it means to be earning minimum wage or unemployed.

Buffy demanded that Giles is paid in Checkpoint, why didn't she demand that (at the very least) her accommodation, food, and miscellaneous slayer costs were taken care of? Why didn't they sell the house and move to a 2 bedroom apartment? Why wasn't Hank paying child support? Why was Buffy not accepted back to college? Where was Tara getting money from? Ugh.

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
Agree. If Xander was able to find all those jobs easily I see no reason why Tara and Willow would have struggled to find casual work.

I have spoken at length over the years about the lack of financial sense throughout the series but will sum it up quite simply - I think the writers were all too financially stable to ever really consider what it means to be earning minimum wage or unemployed.

Buffy demanded that Giles is paid in Checkpoint, why didn't she demand that (at the very least) her accommodation, food, and miscellaneous slayer costs were taken care of? Why didn't they sell the house and move to a 2 bedroom apartment? Why wasn't Hank paying child support? Why was Buffy not accepted back to college? Where was Tara getting money from? Ugh.
Exactly. When you look at it logically none of the day-to-day makes sense. You have to suspend disbelief about so much already it would have been nice if the attitude wasn't 'eh, who cares, it's not a show about reality' by the writers.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Not to mention that in Doublemeat Palace, Willow is the one who found out that their burgers were processed vegetable matter with beef fat mixed in and Buffy went to Doublemeat Palace just to get her job back. Both of them could have lived high off the hog by blackmailing Doublemeat Palace.

FaithLehane16
FaithLehane16
Good idea.

NeonSlayer

Potential

As someone who has bad credit and lived mostly in apartments & mobile homes, I would NOT sell a house that has a probable 20% down payment & 4 years of mortgage paid off already. It was a two story house with a front & backyard, separate room for dining, large living room, large kitchen, and a basement. The only bad feature was it had only one bathroom which I still find weird.

If the house was say $200k then I bet Joyce put up $40k down payment + got a 15 year mortgage which would equal $888 a month. So Joyce probably paid $85k of the $200k. Add in the months between Joyce's death & Buffy's resurrection, it's up to $91k of $200k. So at 20 years old Buffy would be nearly halfway there into owning her own house in suburbia. By 30 she would only have to pay state tax & utilities.

For Hank to pay child support, you have to demand it. My mom never made my biological father pay.

Buffy wasn't accepted back in college because she missed the deadline for re-enrollment. That's what the letter in As You Were said. She had to apply by January 15th if she wanted to return in the fall.

Is it a strike against Giles that he only coughed for Buffy to add retroactively to his pay and not for her to be paid too? Kinda selfish of him. Especially acting all put out later in the year when she accepted his one check to not be living in a house with severe water damage.

Last edited:

caitaintdead

caiters gonna cait
Black Thorn
Exactly. When you look at it logically none of the day-to-day makes sense. You have to suspend disbelief about so much already it would have been nice if the attitude wasn't 'eh, who cares, it's not a show about reality' by the writers.
I agree, I have no problem with suspending disbelief when it comes to the boring day-to-day stuff either, but when they deliberately make it a seasons focus it should be done correctly.

Not to mention that in Doublemeat Palace, Willow is the one who found out that their burgers were processed vegetable matter with beef fat mixed in and Buffy went to Doublemeat Palace just to get her job back. Both of them could have lived high off the hog by blackmailing Doublemeat Palace.
I just can't see Buffy ever blackmailing anyone. You can tell by her expression that it isn't even something that she considered.

As someone who has bad credit and lived mostly in apartments & mobile homes, I would NOT sell a house that has a probable 20% down payment & 4 years of mortgage paid off already. It was a two story house with a front & backyard, separate room for dining, large living room, large kitchen, and a basement. The only bad feature was it had only one bathroom which I still find weird.

If the house was say $200k then I bet Joyce put up $40k down payment + got a 15 year mortgage which would equal $888 a month. So Joyce probably paid $85k of the $200k. Add in the months between Joyce's death & Buffy's resurrection, it's up to $91k of $200k. So at 20 years old Buffy would be nearly halfway there into owning her own house in suburbia. By 30 she would only have to pay state tax & utilities.
I can understand where you are coming from, but the financial strain that a mortgage had on her was quite large. If she had 91k in her pocket, a job, and was paying minimal rent she would be in a far better situation.

For Hank to pay child support, you have to demand it. My mom never made my biological father pay.
I don't see any reason why Buffy wouldn't have expected Hank to pay child support. He very obviously had quite a bit of money.

Buffy wasn't accepted back in college because she missed the deadline for re-enrollment. That's what the letter in As You Were said. She had to apply by January 15th if she wanted to return in the fall.
To be fair, I don't really know how late admissions work in America, and just assumed that it wouldn't have factored too highly into her re-enrollment. Over here you can enrol into courses the day before they start. I know, because I am lazy and often forget to do so until the day before haha.

Is it a strike against Giles that he only coughed for Buffy to add retroactively to his pay and not for her to be paid too? Kinda selfish of him. Especially acting all put out later in the year when she accepted his one check to not be living in a house with severe water damage.
Yes, I think it was out of character for Giles to be so strange about providing Buffy with money. Giles in Season 6 onwards is kind of a selfish jerk in general really. Classic Joss Whedon move of punishing characters for actors decisions.

Top Bottom