• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Why was Harmony there?

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Obviously they needed to add more females to the cast and Harmony was an easy option, having been in the show before and having a background with Spike. However Wolfram and Hart had a vampire detector before, so they couldn't have had vampire staff before? From what I can recall of W&H pre season 5 the only non human staff they had was the white room and the mind readers, they might have employed others like the demon that fixed Lindsey's hand, but he wasn't on site. They certainly had non human clients, but there seemed an increase in season 5 of demons and vampires within the building.

Angel6
Angel6
I guess they hired them to add to Team Angel’s unease?

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
However Wolfram and Hart had a vampire detector before, so they couldn't have had vampire staff before?
I always took it that it was to show it was the "new" W&H with new hiring practices to reflect the change in management not that it was practices previously employed.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Season 1 W&H was primarily a law firm, Season five's was a large corporation with it's fingers in multiple pies as the story required. As for why Harmony? Predictably treacherous, yet close enough to Angel (and us) to disarm him.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Wasn't the vampire detector used for "unauthorised" vampires rather than ones that were supposed to be there?

I think they brought Harmony back because it was another Buffy face. Season 5 was on life support and they only got that because of Spike being brought over (hence why his return was heavily promoted even though it was supposed to be a surprise).

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Yes, it was vampire detection, not vampire barrier. I remember when I first saw that scene, how shocking it was to hear that that this Lawfirm was in the know regarding the supernatural.

You also have to remember, Season Five was a soft reboot of the show. They were told to get rid of the darker elements, they were told to get another female character they were told to move away from season four. Harmony basically served the same function that Cordie did in season 1, a really light energetic character struggling with entry into adulthood, but different enough from Cordie to avoid overlap and to tell new stories. Aside from Gothic Flashbacks, nothing ever gets told from the Vampire's point of view, and while I don't endorse them, they used her a lot in the comics, showing they had ideas for her. In addition, Mercedes McNab, like Sarah Thompson (Eve) were really young, like early twenties. Both Stephanie Romanov and Charisma Carpenter, the actresses were in their early thirties by that point, and while it was never outright stated, younger actresses could connect better with the key demographic that the WB was trying to appeal to, eight years into the Buffyverse, or at least that's probably what the Network would have thought. My other guess would be, Joss was running out of things to do with Fred, and having a backup female character who could be added to the main cast was probably a good bargaining chip to have with the network, just in case he decided to do something "High Concept." But really, Harm was a popular recurring character done by a reliable actresses who has been associated with the show since the First Buffy Pilot, so it would have been an easy choice.

Btvs fan

Scooby
Yes, it was vampire detection, not vampire barrier. I remember when I first saw that scene, how shocking it was to hear that that this Lawfirm was in the know regarding the supernatural.

You also have to remember, Season Five was a soft reboot of the show. They were told to get rid of the darker elements, they were told to get another female character they were told to move away from season four. Harmony basically served the same function that Cordie did in season 1, a really light energetic character struggling with entry into adulthood, but different enough from Cordie to avoid overlap and to tell new stories. Aside from Gothic Flashbacks, nothing ever gets told from the Vampire's point of view, and while I don't endorse them, they used her a lot in the comics, showing they had ideas for her. In addition, Mercedes McNab, like Sarah Thompson (Eve) were really young, like early twenties. Both Stephanie Romanov and Charisma Carpenter, the actresses were in their early thirties by that point, and while it was never outright stated, younger actresses could connect better with the key demographic that the WB was trying to appeal to, eight years into the Buffyverse, or at least that's probably what the Network would have thought. My other guess would be, Joss was running out of things to do with Fred, and having a backup female character who could be added to the main cast was probably a good bargaining chip to have with the network, just in case he decided to do something "High Concept." But really, Harm was a popular recurring character done by a reliable actresses who has been associated with the show since the First Buffy Pilot, so it would have been an easy choice.

Was she that popular though. I mean Spike makes sense . He was/still is a popular character. I mean I'm sure Mercedes was popular with the writers (she'd been around since the unaired pilot) but with the fans themselves?
Like if Angel had killed Harmony for betraying him in NFA rather than letting her go with a job reference would the fan base have really been up in arms over it ?

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Harmony got used a lot in the latter comics, and for an episode that saw almost everyone die, letting her live for a brief bit of comedy was fine.

Top Bottom