• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Why was the Groosalugg re-introduced in season three?

telperion66

Potential
At the end of 'Waiting in the Wings', we see the return of the Groosalugg.

My question is, why?

Angel and Cordy were just on the verge of becoming united as a couple in the storyline, so what do you think the reason was for the writers deciding to interrupt that as a possibility by having the Groosalugg come back and 'take' Cordy away from being with Angel?

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I'm with Spanky on this one. Lots of fans call S4 the soap opera season - and I guess I can see why at times - but I feel that way about S3, all overly hyped emotions and soap opera storylines, which includes triangles - Wes/Fred/Gunn, Angel/Cordelia/Groo - and dragging out a pairing that we know is going to happen at some point.

Angel6
Angel6
I think seasons 3 and 4 of Angel are very soap opera I agree, as is Buffy season 6.
S
SpikeOrAngel
"Soap opera" should not be a dirty phrase. Buffy/Angel were soap operas.

Nondenomifan

Nondenomifan
Spanky beat me to the basic concept of my response, which was, "You answered your own question when you mentioned that there was about to be a happy relationship with which he could interfere."

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Arguably, it is a solid tactic to make viewers earn their ship. Especially for something as slow to catch on as Cordelia and Angel. That Joss abused this... Well, not everyone ends up like Jim and Cousin Beth.

Btvs fan

Scooby
Yeah, but do you think there was a particular reason why the writers didn't want Angel and Cordy to be paired together at that time?

Is it maybe because having a 'happy' or 'healthy' relationship like that wouldn't have made for good TV?

If you see what happens in S5 with Wes and Fred at the start of the season with Knox. It's a pattern with Whedon and how he writes relationships. Hell he even did it in Firefly, the whole Will they won't they. Tbh it's a bit of a cliche

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
I thought it was as Charisma needed some time off, and bringing him back allowed for that.

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
As far as I'm aware it was for two reasons, one being the obvious love triangle and the other was cos she'd had a miscarriage and it was a way to write her off the show for a while. Which to me feels awful considering the first scenes she does on her return are about discussing a dead child next to a burned out cot.

Angel6
Angel6
Classic Joss.

slayer730

Potential
I remember reading somewhere they planned for him to come back in season 4 but in what capacity I don't know. Given how Cordelia's arc turned out that season, it probably would have been better if he was the person that got Cordelia pregnant. Not sure how that would have turned out though either given everything that was going in that season. Having Groo as another character in the orbit of the main ones might have made the cast feel crowded, especially with Connor present

Nondenomifan

Nondenomifan
Simply put: Joss Whedon Writing Co. doesn't like happy endings for couples. Lather, rinse, repeat as necessary.

When Marti Noxon joined the Glee writing team, there was a NOOOOO-ticeable change. BIG time. And, Ryan Murphy had been bad enough.

Faded90

Scooby
Because the network had wanted Angel to have a ‘love interest’ but never had any intention of getting Cangel together so just introduced obstacles. Of course the biggest obstacle was that it was simply a ghastly pairing and I’ve never seen anything to suggest they’d have a healthy And/or happy relationship

Priceless

Scooby
I think Groo played a big part in Cordy realising how she felt about Angel, especially in how she turned him into a copy of Angel and how she put Angel's needs before his. He was a good guy and he saw what was happening. He was also a really good way of getting Cordy out of the way while Wesley plotted to steal Connor. If Cordy had been there, maybe Wes would have spoken to her and she'd have stopped him.

Buffy Summers
Buffy Summers
Good point about Wes. :)

SpikeOrAngel

Townie
I liked Groo but was surprised he lasted for more than one episode for his comeback. He needed the long hair, too.

A rare misfire by Team Joss to have nothing for Groo and they completely forgot about him. Big mistake to not wrap up such a dangling storyline by leaving an interdimensional warrior with no money or sense of culture wandering LA.

I expect that from other TV shows, but not Angel.

Groo should have came back to face Jasmine and died a hero's death.

Stake fodder

Soulless
Some good reasons here, and I would just add that S3 had a lot of story arcs going on, and maybe they thought having Angel have a relationship with Cordy, in addition to his having Connor, and also with the Fred-Gunn relationship, it was just too much piling on.

But they seemed to know less what to do with Groo than they did even with Fred early on. He provided some comic relief, though, during heavy plot lines.

As far as I'm aware it was for two reasons, one being the obvious love triangle and the other was cos she'd had a miscarriage and it was a way to write her off the show for a while. Which to me feels awful considering the first scenes she does on her return are about discussing a dead child next to a burned out cot.
Wow, excellent point. That is horrible. I'm surprised Charisma Carpenter didn't mention that in her recent accusations against Joss.

A rare misfire by Team Joss to have nothing for Groo and they completely forgot about him. Big mistake to not wrap up such a dangling storyline by leaving an interdimensional warrior with no money or sense of culture wandering LA.
I figured Groo likely went back to Pylea. He wouldn't be the leader, but he would understand that world better.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Something for Cordy to look at, that and Joss got P'd off with Cordy laughing at him showing his chest.

Kendar

Townie
I think Groo played a big part in Cordy realising how she felt about Angel, especially in how she turned him into a copy of Angel and how she put Angel's needs before his. He was a good guy and he saw what was happening. He was also a really good way of getting Cordy out of the way while Wesley plotted to steal Connor. If Cordy had been there, maybe Wes would have spoken to her and she'd have stopped him.

Groo to me was AtS's version of Riley. Madly in live with someone and realizing that someone doesn't really love them back.

T
thrasherpix
At least he didn't try to make Cordy feel horrible about it like she'd done something evil.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I get why Groo was brought back, but it didn't work. The writing of that love triangle is so weak. It starts with Angel getting jealous of Groo, and then they just do the same but in reverse later. It was pointless in bringing him back. The character served his purpose at the end of S2. I don't buy that the Cordy of mid-S3 would fall head over heels for him. I can see Groo working as coming back for a one shot episode, but no more than that. Its around here when the decline in Cordy's character starts.

Top Bottom