• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Why was there so much "will they or won't they" with Bangel and Cangel but with Nina

Joshua

Huge Spuffy Fan!
Him and Nina these two got together after Nina's first episode and they were able to boink. Nina being with Angel really cheapened his relationships with Cordelia and Buffy.

Mrs Gordo

(She's not even a vampire.) No, I'm an attorney.
Black Thorn
Him and Nina these two got together after Nina's first episode and they were able to boink. Nina being with Angel really cheapened his relationships with Cordelia and Buffy.
I don’t think so either. I think Nina was done very well. It wasn’t great love stuff. It was just two people casually dating. It was sweet but respected Angel’s continued feelings for Buffy in this exchange:

NINA
You're not perfectly happy, are you? 'Cause I've got my wooden stake right here.
I know I brought it—

ANGEL
You're safe.

NINA
OK. And you? Good? You weren't thinking about your little Roman friend, or—

ANGEL
Nina, for the last...whoa.

NINA
Wowee.

ANGEL
For the last... very long moment I haven't had a single coherent thought.

He and Nina know this isn’t perfect happiness kinda stuff. This isn’t an epic love for the ages etc. Buffy is addressed in the conversation above. She knows he continues to have feelings for her. He doesn’t try and dismiss Buffy when she brings her up, he merely says the good sex took his mind off things. I like it. I’m glad they realized Angel can have sex with a woman without world in peril stuff.

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
I think, for me, the relationship shows growth on Angel's part, shows how far he's come. No, I don't think he and Nina are another Bangel, though I also don't think they're 'casual', maybe something in between. I also like Nangel and I think, with time, they could become something more than they were on S5. That's not to say that I'm trying to cheapen Bangel, or that I'm saying he was childish in his relationship with Buffy, not at all. Just that he didn't know the stakes when they were together, hence losing himself with her; going vamp-face in their first kiss, losing his soul, so on. With Nina, he knows the risks and is careful with how to go about it. And, as I mentioned, he's grown up a lot after living in LA.

I'm not gonna go into Cangel, that was just...OOC all around.

Mrs Gordo
Mrs Gordo
yeah I didn’t even bother addressing Cangel lol.
Nangel by no means cheapened Bangel, if anything it further enhanced it. Angel's relationship (if you can even call it that, I would call it more of a fling) with Nina proved that Angel can indeed have sex and not lose his soul. He didn't lose his soul with her because he was NOT in love with her. Like Wesley said "Angel's true happiness occurred because he was with Buffy. Do you know how rare that is, true happiness?"- one of the best lines in both shows, because that is so true, he lost his soul with Buffy because she made him truly happy, he was in love with her, he lost himself in her, they became one.
Nangel sex was just casual dating sex that normal people have, but it was never going to be his true happiness.

As for the will they or won't they with Bangel- well she is the slayer, he is a vampire, she was very young at the time, she will grow old, he will not, but the biggest reason of all is there were real feelings involved. They didn't want to hurt each other which they knew they would inevitably do if they stayed together, but they couldn't stay away from each other either because their feelings were too intense.

There's not usually a whole lot of will they or won't they when it's just casual dating/casual sex. It feels nice, takes your mind off things but you both know this isn't a forever kinda thing. You are just enjoying the moment. Bangel were thinking about the future, Nangel were thinking about the moment.

As for Cangel, that was just so weird I don't even know how to form coherent sentences on the matter, but I'll give it a go.
Nangel doesn't cheapen Cangel, because Cangel wasn't ever really a thing. I think Cordy and Angel were confused because they were basically bestfriends/coworkers who had been around each other for a very long time and constantly hearing all those people tell them they were in love made them believe they were supposed to give something a shot that wasn't there. Completely understandable, the writers just took it too far and way too OOC for it to be believable. Either way Nangel can't cheapen something that never was/never should have been...

I think Dangel & Nangel reinforced Bangel while Cangel was the ship equivalent of Melania Trump's speech plagiarizing Michelle Obama.

Cordelia: I'm Buffy, freak of nature. So naturally I choose a freak for a boyfriend.
Buffy: Cordelia, get out of my shoes.

Cordelia (on Angel getting a happily ever after with Buffy): I'm out of a job now.

white avenger

white avenger
I've said it here so many times that there a lot of folks no doubt quite tired of hearing it, but I truly think that, if there had been a Season 6, Angel and Nina would have been an item, and they would both been very happy with Angel's somewhat less that perfect happiness. I've read that Joss planned to have OZ come back in Season 6 and sort of mentor Nina into controlling her changes the way that he could (even though Seth has said that he didn't know anything about any of that, it doesn't mean that Joss wasn't considering it)

At the end of Season 5, when everyone was taking their final day off before the big fight, one of the things that Angel did was to give Nina tickets for herself, her sister, and her niece, in order to get them away from LA before the battle began, and he promised to come to wherever he had sent them, once the crisis was over. That doesn't strike me as something that he would have felt compelled to do if he only saw her as a one night stand.

Nina had real potential, and I honestly believe that, if the series had continued, her character would have been expanded, maybe not to the degree that Cordy's role grew from Season 1 to Season 4, but we would definitely have seen more of her.

All Nina saw was sad broken redeeming Angel, much like Kennedy coming into BtVS when it was sad broken redeeming Willow. They only saw what they were allowed to see and couldn't make a real connection with so little information. Angel & Willow looked like the heroes, no Angelus or Dark Willow, so that's what Nina & Kennedy responded to.

It would be like someone falling for cancer ridden science teacher Walter White not knowing drug dealer Walter was ever a thing.

And Willow cheated on and then dumped Kennedy in the comics because she was the rebound.

Mrs Gordo

Black Thorn
I’m fine with Nina and I thought that was done well but I do find it funny when people are like “Angel and Nina would have been great together” because we kinda know nothing about Nina aside from she is hot, she is an art student, struggling werewolf, and she thinks Angel is just great. She is very one dimensional. We probably know just as much about Scott Hope or Parker. So I don’t know how we can make an assessment re their compatibility.

EarthLogic

"she went as limp as an overcooked piece of pasta"
Black Thorn
I’m fine with Nina and I thought that was done well but I do find it funny when people are like “Angel and Nina would have been great together” because we kinda know nothing about Nina aside from she is hot, she is an art student, struggling werewolf, and she thinks Angel is just great. She is very one dimensional. We probably know just as much about Scott Hope or Parker. So I don’t know how we can make an assessment re their compatibility.
Her 'you're my hero' line in Power Play kinda makes me want to throw up.

Taake

Bella
Staff member
Black Thorn
she is hot, and she thinks Angel is just great.

Did we need more? :p

Seriously though, we know that she was open minded, didn't mind the vampire stuff, accepted the werewolf thing. Loving, had a nice relationship with her sister and niece. Brave, she wasn't afraid to go after the guy she wanted and she didn't want to leave at the end when there was danger afoot. She's playful and relaxed with Angel when they get together.

So yeah, I think they would've been great together in season 6 when there probably would have been more development to her story. Even if there wasn't, I still saw more natural connection between them that convinced me of them as a pair than like two and a half seasons of forced Cangel made me think they had a future, so it might just be that for me, I believe in Nina and Angel because they just look better in comparison?

Mrs Gordo

Black Thorn
Seriously though, we know that she was open minded, didn't mind the vampire stuff, accepted the werewolf thing. Loving, had a nice relationship with her sister and niece. Brave, she wasn't afraid to go after the guy she wanted and she didn't want to leave at the end when there was danger afoot. She's playful and relaxed with Angel when they get together.
All I mean is that we didn’t get a lot screen time or in-depth time with Nina. I don’t know if Nina/Angel would have or could have had a happily ever after but I do think they could’ve had something nice. In comparison to the two other pairings they tried in AtS (Kate - what a disaster) and Cangel it was very well done and very organic. But they were just starting out.

On of my fav post NFA fics is Nina/Angel (it’s also B/A because duh it’s me...) but I really like the Nina stuff in it. It’s called The Trouble We’re In by Nyxie (please mind the rating!). It fleshes Nina out as this sorda older sophisticated and smart woman. I like that idea. Of course all the comics gave us was rabid werewolf Nina which was a disservice.

Angel was Buffy's first, and that's supposed to be special, and when they were together, it was a high school that averaged .75 sex partners and where no body lost their virginity before age 17. Nina had been in college for several years, and the magic was gone.

MarieVampSlayer

Cup of tea, cup of tea, almost got shagged, cup...
Sineya
I don't think Nina and Angel's relationship had the power to cheapen Bangel or Cangel. I do feel Angel needed some love for once that wasn't epic or grand. He deserved something more casual after all the drama.

I liked her just fine. Don't know why people have issues with her. The only thing I didn't like was her hero worship of Angel but IMO Nina is grown up enough to grow out of that. However she is too sunny/nice/normal to fit into Angel's word permanently. Too much darkness there and not everyone is made for that.

So yeah, I think they would've been great together in season 6 when there probably would have been more development to her story. Even if there wasn't, I still saw more natural connection between them that convinced me of them as a pair than like two and a half seasons of forced Cangel made me think they had a future, so it might just be that for me, I believe in Nina and Angel because they just look better in comparison?
Except for Nina/Angel being just as romantic/sexual chemistry free as Cordy/Angel I agree. At least there is no awkwardness during make outs. But I never saw N/A working long term either because he didn't seem all that interested. I always see Nina as Angel's Riley.

Mrs Gordo

Black Thorn
Except for Nina/Angel being just as romantic/sexual chemistry free as Cordy/Angel I agree. At least there is no awkwardness during make outs. But I never saw N/A working long term either because he didn't seem all that interested. I always see Nina as Angel's Riley.
See I see Cordy as Angel's Riley.
I see Nina as Angel's Scott Hope. But Nina is much better than Scott Hope. :)