• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Why was Willow so mean to Anya?.

Benz

Potential
I hated way Willow treated Anya and sure Anya May of been ex demon and scare her bit once but I mean so did Angel when he lost soul and don’t give me Angel different person as no excuse for Willow rude behaviour.

Priceless

Scooby
I agree Willow wasn't very welcoming to Anya, but I think that first spell they did, to try and find Anya's necklace, turned Willow against her. It took her a long time to trust Anya after that. I also think Willow does have a mean streak and though Anya was stupid, so could easily dismiss her.

spikenbuffy

"Why can't I stay"
Staff member
Well Anya doesn't like Willow either, in Fear Itself she expected Xander to not be friends with the scoobies anymore. In Something Blue, she asked Xander if she "can not be nice with her anymore" about Willow.

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
I'm very slowly rewatching s4 again and just reached Fear Itself. I'll look for it when I see it, probably tonight.

Benz

Potential
Well Anya doesn't like Willow either, in Fear Itself she expected Xander to not be friends with the scoobies anymore. In Something Blue, she asked Xander if she "can not be nice with her anymore" about Willow.
I think they both grow to like each other in season 5.

spikenbuffy
spikenbuffy
Yes even Giles. He working with Anya at the magic box made Anya & Giles get along.

white avenger

white avenger
Maybe Willow still had feelings for Xander like she had during their little fling in Season 3, with only that male/female thing being in the way. Remember the scene in Season 7, when the witch used Xander's blood to open the Hellmouth, and he asked Willow to "gay him up?" There was a moment there when Willow might have been thinking. "Now if I just changed his GENDER, and left his sexual orientation alone..." Maybe that's where she got the idea of "working it out," and just didn't think about it again until she met R J.

thrasherpix

Scooby
Anya did try to have Willow killed, in addition to using her. So I can understand why she dislikes Anya. (For similar reasons, I think Xander has just cause, from his perspective, to dislike Angel beyond jealousy.) And unlike Angel, Anya did not express remorse for her past, and in fact treated her demonic past as her glory days. I wouldn't have trusted her either. Though yeah, Willow does have a jealous streak, as shown when she finds out about Cordelia and Faith with Xander.

Benz

Potential
Anya did try to have Willow killed, in addition to using her. So I can understand why she dislikes Anya. (For similar reasons, I think Xander has just cause, from his perspective, to dislike Angel beyond jealousy.) And unlike Angel, Anya did not express remorse for her past, and in fact treated her demonic past as her glory days. I wouldn't have trusted her either. Though yeah, Willow does have a jealous streak, as shown when she finds out about Cordelia and Faith with Xander.
But i dont think Anya directly killed anyone in her original demon years and Anya thought Willow was vampire.

thrasherpix

Scooby
But i dont think Anya directly killed anyone in her original demon years and Anya thought Willow was vampire.
That reasoning is completely lost on me, especially as some of what she bragged of was worse than death, and lead to far more deaths than Angelus could ever dream.

And she very well knew the difference between Vampire Willow and human Willow. Though now that I think about it she did want Willow alive for the sole reason of making her a demon again.

AstridDante

Potential
I think they were both quite territorial over Xander and maybe were threatened by each other, particularly Anya with Willow being his oldest and bestest friend. Another aspect is Anya being a demon and her lack of sensitivity in the most sensitive situations really rubbed Willow up the wrong way

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I would like to say that Willow was the only one who saw the true face of Anyanka in "Doppelgangland." Like, everyone else knows she is a monster on a intellectual level, but Willow has seen the monster. Also, Willow still loves Xander, he's still her first crush, and even though she's with Tara now, some primal part of her still understands Anya as someone who's trying to take something of hers.

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
I would like to say that Willow was the only one who saw the true face of Anyanka in "Doppelgangland." Like, everyone else knows she is a monster on a intellectual level, but Willow has seen the monster. Also, Willow still loves Xander, he's still her first crush, and even though she's with Tara now, some primal part of her still understands Anya as someone who's trying to take something of hers.
Agreed . Plus Like been said before Anya was never sorry for what she had done . That plus her selfness at wanting Xander all for her self was another reason.

Benz

Potential
Agreed . Plus Like been said before Anya was never sorry for what she had done . That plus her selfness at wanting Xander all for her self was another reason.
Anya was willing to be burnt to death and spend forever in hell to make up for what she did and again what lot people dont realise is Anya never actually killed anyone directly in her original vengeance demon years and D'Hoffryn himself made clear it Anya cross line in her vengeance when she got those people killed but since Halfrek sir Anya up thats why D,Hoffryn killed Halfrek instead.

Anya just did wishes for ex boyfriends to have something bad happen to them but not as far as death and probably reason why D,Hoffryn didit let . Anya get powers back after episode The Wish was because Anya went to far in Cordelia wish.

thrasherpix

Scooby
D'Hofryn says outright he killed Halfrek to hurt Anya, not to punish Halfrek herself. She was not disciplined for turning Sunnydale into Vampire Central, but for losing her crystal. After having been human for awhile she did find she had no taste of vengeance (though damn, what she tried to trick Xander's friends into doing...). But by then I don't recall Willow being catty towards her.

burrunjor

Potential
The question is why don't more of them hate Anya?

Anya is pure evil, even with a soul. She turned a guy into a baby eating troll before becoming a Demon.

As for Willow specifically, Anya tried to goad a Vampire into eating her!

"I think he should eat you."

I reckon Willow was over her crush on Xander by then and it was just Anya's past actions. She wasn't nearly as mean to Cordy because she was with Xander as people make out, plus Cordy was a bully to her for years. From S2 on she and Cordy are fairly amicable until the break up, and even after she is on the phone to Cordy a few times in Angel no problem.

IMO her feelings towards Anya were justified.

Faded90

Potential
I think it was believable that Willow would still be wary of Anya and it was a mutual dislike however Willow does have a track record of not wanting to share her friends. She’s all over Faith in F,H and T and telling Buffy she needs to ‘find the fun’ and sharing Buffy’s most painful memories with the new girl. However then when Buffy and Faith bond and have fun together Willow seems to think ‘erm no you have to give me my friend back now’

LemonBanana

Scooby
Sineya
I love Anya and I love Willow and I think the thing that scared Willow most about Anya was that she would hurt Xander. However, their relationship grew and they became friendlier! I loved your post thanks! 😊 💕

famicommander

Potential
Maybe because Anya sparked the Russian revolution that led to the global rise of communism and the deaths of literally hundreds of millions of people due to genocide, war, famine, and mass executions?

I enjoy the character but she's pure evil. She's killed more people than every other Buffyverse character combined and she did it with her soul and her free will intact.

If every character punched her in the face every single time they interacted, it still wouldn't be "too mean". She literally butchered more people than Hitler by a factor of more than 10.

Top Bottom