• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Will there ever be an Angel HD Remaster?

telperion66

Potential
I've come to really enjoy watching my favourite Buffy characters live out the storylines in gloriously crisp and clear high definition quality.

Now, I love Angel, but the image quality is noticeably a lot poorer than that of the revamped Buffy (no pun intended!)

So, I was wondering, will Angel ever get the same treatment as Buffy and be given a HD makeover?

It would be the best thing in the world to watch Angel in full quality.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Angel was a spinoff of a popular show but it never had the same popularity as Buffy. If I owned the rights to the show I would probably not consider an HD remastering as it would be unlikely to ever repay the production costs. I might wish for it but I wouldn't expect it.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Probably not. Pre-HD telefantasy is in a weird spot where the SFX were put on SD on videocassette. So to upgrade them, you would need the original assets, which are rarely properly archived, and usually must be recreated. This was done for both Star Trek TOS and TNG, and it was profitable to do during the DVD box set boom. However, once streaming displaced DVDs, it's not as profitable, unless the series is very popular. It's also an issue of interest. As we saw from the Buffy process, to convert to widescreen, you need to go back to the film, and and reedit for 16:7 as opposed to 4:3. You really need to consult with ME, and most of those people are still working. So really, there's no profit motive to do so, and upscaling is more complicated than just scanning the original film. However, volunteer work with AI is showing promise, and that could get cheap enough that pseudo HD conversion could happen, but that's in the future.

Dracula

Townie
Both of them need a good HD makeover...
Buffy Seasons 1-4 are pretty bad since they're cropped and 1-3 have wrong lighting but how about the HD versions of seasons 5-7? Are they fine?

Also Angel season 5 was broadcast in HD so at least we have 22 legit HD episodes.

white avenger

white avenger
Would the decision to reformat "Angel" be Joss' to make, or would it be made by the studio? If it's Fox's decision, it might eventually happen. If it's Joss' call, I, personally, don't think so.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
It's the Studio. Fox owns the original film elements, as well as the money to rescan and to remake the SFX. I'm guessing Joss was too busy to participate with the remaster, so at the very least you would want an archivist to lead the project, as the likely problem was with overuse of automation.

Top Bottom