• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Willow and Riley?

Would Willow and Riley make a good couple?

• Yes

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • No

• Maybe

• Yes, but they're better with someone else

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters

Miss Muffet

"Can I trade in the children for more cash?"
Is it just me, or does anyone else think Willow and Riley would have made a good couple? They're personalities seem to fit with the 'they fight monsters, but never forget their homework' vibe. Also, when a Dingoes Ate My Baby song came on at that party from 4x07 and it made Willow upset, Riley had the music cut, no questions asked.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Is it just me, or does anyone else think Willow and Riley would have made a good couple?
Yes, I've said that before. And the two of them, in the few scenes they shared, seemed to have better chemistry.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Is it just me, or does anyone else think Willow and Riley would have made a good couple? They're personalities seem to fit with the 'they fight monsters, but never forget their homework' vibe. Also, when a Dingoes Ate My Baby song came on at that party from 4x07 and it made Willow upset, Riley had the music cut, no questions asked.
I think they would've been better suited than Riley and Buffy. Willow has the brains which Riley doesn't have whilst Riley has the brawn which Willow doesn't have. Both fulfil a capacity the other doesn't. Riley wouldn't feel threatened by Willow because he would be "needed" to deal with the more physical side of fighting monsters. Buffy didn't "need" Riley and he couldn't deal with it.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Do they get along better than Buffy and Riley? Sure, but don't forget, Buffy and Riley got along in the beginning as well. We never saw Willow have to deal with the Riley that wanted to demand that she need him if a major problem came up. Nor did we ever get his opinion on magic - that would have become a problem for him just like it was for Tara. Amy might have had another rat to join her in the Habitrail. And I am surprised no one has mentioned the real showstopper:

Gay now.

How would Riley have handled that? Some "pray the gay away" conversion therapy? Although he was a TA in psychology, there are some psychologists that believe conversion therapy is effective and he would have tried to change Willow around to what he thought was "right". After all, he is a self-defined corn-fed Iowa boy and no one there flaunts being gay. And what about Willow almost putting the spell on Oz and Veruca that would prevent them from ever knowing love again? Do we really want to subject Riley (or anyone) to that?

T
thrasherpix
I ignored the "gay now" because plot/story > character. Willow's sexuality will be defined as convenient at the time, just as pretty much everyone else will be shoehorned to serve the story being made now.

Priceless

Scooby
I think they would make a good couple right up to the point when Riley realises how deeply Willow is into the magics. I think that would be a deal breaker for Riley. He likes simplicity and to know where he stands, I don't think a relationship with a witch would suit him, and would probably stress him out and eventually make him incredibly paranoid. As for his effect on Willow, at first she'd try to hide her magics (just as Buffy hid her strength) but that couldn't last and she'd end up turning him into a water cooler or something, thereby guaranteeing the end of the relationship.

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
Temperamentally, they are a better fit than Buffy and Riley. I dont see Willow as straight, so I wont ship, but if someone wanted them together, they are plausible.

I like the idea of Riley with someone not Buffy, however. In one of my stories,(After Midnight, posted on TtH) I put him with Faith (non murderous in this case).

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I've always, always, wanted the show to have done this. The chemistry was way better than Riley and Buffy, and it wouldn't be forever; we'd still get Willow and Tara in the latter half of S4.

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Are we talking right after Oz has left? Or is Willow and Oz ending because of her and Riley, I would prefer that to the ending we got with Oz.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Are we talking right after Oz has left? Or is Willow and Oz ending because of her and Riley, I would prefer that to the ending we got with Oz.
My thought is that, when Riley goes to the dorm room to recruit a sad Willow in getting Buffy's attention, they instead find that they have great chemistry and like being in each others company and so they start dating.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I'm sure it's unpopular, but I'd have liked the Veruca arc to have been longer, in part because Oz was actually becoming interesting rather than a nice background character, and opens the possibility of a werewolf able to gain greater control over their changes and what they do in wolf form, easily adapted from what actually did happen with Oz when he returned later. I'm fine with the rest. (That said, my vote was for "Yes, but they're better with someone else.")

But it just occurs to me that it might've been more interesting if say Willow saved Riley from a werewolf with magic, and then Riley has to figure out what to do about her...only to later find out that the Slayer the monsters keep going on about is real.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I'm sure it's unpopular, but I'd have liked the Veruca arc to have been longer
It actually was meant to. That's why the built-up took more episodes than the actual events of Wild at Heart, but when Seth Green asked to be let out of his contract early, they had to hurry and compress it. Veruca was meant to be at least a half-season, if not a full-season, arc.

Top Bottom