• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Willow and Xander quitting?

EVIL UU

Scooby
We talked a lot about Buffy quitting - giving up slaying and the monster hunter lifestyle and so on but what about the rest of the gang? I want to focus on Willow and Xander here, 'cause Giles' case was thoroughly explored. They want to fight evil, they want to help people, help Buffy - she is their best friend and they love her very, very much, Willow has the whole badass wicca going on for her too on top of that but the way I see it, this life is not working for them, you know what I mean? They're not happy, quite the opposite actually - they seem miserable. Do you think that Willow and Xander, for their own sake, should quit? Build lives without Buffy and the horror that surrounds her? Fight their own fights or completely leave the slaying to the slayers and supernatural to the supernatural? Can they even do it? 'Cause they've been pretty instrumental in keeping the world spinning so far. How would Buffy react? 'Cause friends leaving is one of her nightmares, right? Would she understand their decision to quit? Could they still be friends?

What do you think?

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
I don't think they could maintain a friendship with Buffy if they quit. If they did, it would be the end of the road for the Scoobies. Buffy might understand why they do so, but you can' t be friends with the slayer without her risky lifestyle being a part of the friendship. So the question really is whether or not their friendship with Buffy outweights the cons of slaying. I could see Xander maybe quitting at the end of the road for his own sake, I mean, he's got a lot of reasons too. In the end, he won't, because he loves Buffy and Willow too much. But if he really wanted to, he could.

Willow, even if she wasn't Buffy's friend, I don't think she would quit. The whole magick thing makes it important for her to keep dealing with the supernatural. So even if she wanted, Willow couldn't quit.

In the end though, I don't see either of them quitting, because Buffy is their family. Neither Xander nor Willow have real families, or at least from what were shown their families suck. Neither have a significant other, or Xander has Dawn (does he?) which only solidifies his ties with Buffy. Where the heck would they go if they quit?

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Didn't Xander and Willow sort of quit in S9? Willow went on her 'magic quest' and Xander took a back seat to have a normal life with Dawn- apparently they suddenly gave him 'anger issues' after S8. *sigh* Man, that was lame.

It was a whole big plot arc where Buffy was totally on her own (apart from guess who? :rolleyes:) and had to figure out stuff for herself.
So, they did go off and try and lead semi-seperate lives.

Xander I could definitly see quitting if he doesn't get back together with Dawn in the future, he now just seems to be a mass of neurosies (see the Dracula arc- crippling low self-esteem, the anger issues, betraying his friends for Dawn) and seems close to having serious mental health problems. His only male friend is Spike for chist's sake. He doesn't even like Spike and he's going for drinks with him. Poor bastard.
Xander's headed for a padded room some time soon. ;)

I don't see Willow quitting, she seems stable and happy, she's got her magics (hell, she's helping write the new magic rules with her buds)- she's more of a frigging superhero than Buffy is these days. So no, she's been on this road since S3 and I don't see her changing her mind unless something drastic changes.

And I agree with @Blaze for better or worse Buffy is family to them, their own families suck (Joss theme no...12?) and they really don't have anybody outside their crazy life that they could turn to.

Like they all said back in S1's 'I, Robot, You Jane' they're all doomed. But at least they're doomed together. :)

Man, that was pretty good...I should be writing these comics. :p

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
@thetopher, I haven't read s9, but that sounds like a pile of....bull poop lol. There's a reason I don't read the comics anymore. That doesn't even seem to fallow the show's canon. And all that after Xander was so cool in s8, what happened :(

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
@thetopher, I haven't read s9, but that sounds like a pile of....bull poop lol. There's a reason I don't read the comics anymore. That doesn't even seem to fallow the show's canon. And all that after Xander was so cool in s8, what happened :(
Yeah, its a real shame. S9 started well- the first arc was actually relatively okay- then the middle part Xander and Willow pretty much disappeared and we were left with Buffy, Spike, Andrew and a few rather boring new characters. We got introduced to the really bad idea of Billy. :rolleyes:

Xander was with Dawn (and developed those anger issues I mentioned, presumably from what happened at the end of S8- Twilight/Angel murdering Giles) and Willow went over to A&F (in actually a pretty good plotline) to try and get her mojo back by travelling to other dimensions.
The season ended on a stong note imo, with Buffy, Xander and Willow journeying into the deeper well to stop the (kinda lame) big bads of the season from doing... bad things. I forget what.

I'm now of the opinion that the only decent Buffyverse comic is A&F, which at least has interesting people, a lot of good characterisation and some decent plotting. I'd happily recommend it to anybody since it has plenty of throwbacks to both shows.

janas

Bangel in the soul
The season ended on a stong note imo, with Buffy, Xander and Willow journeying into the deeper well to stop the (kinda lame) big bads of the season from doing... bad things. I forget what.
Dawn, as she is basically a form of mystical energy, was waning because there was more magic in the world. To avoid this happening, Buffy, Xander, Willow and Illyria were into the deeper well to restore the magic and save so Dawn.

thetopher: There was also something to do with the new seed and Malakor- the vampire demon, I seem to recall.
Yes. There were also Simon and Severin that have reawakened Malakor

thetopher
thetopher
There was also something to do with the new seed and Malakor- the vampire demon, I seem to recall.

EVIL UU

Scooby
Didn't Xander and Willow sort of quit in S9?
Well, scoobies do leave Buffy from time to time ( Xander after season 3, Willow after season 6, Giles in season 6 ) but it's always temporary. I mean something more, well, final. Like Angel leaving to LA at least.

Xander's headed for a padded room some time soon.
After everything this guy's been through? Am not surprised here, not the best timing though.

she's more of a frigging superhero than Buffy is these days
Yeah, it's interesting, isn't it? I think that it's a process that started somewhere in season...5, I guess? I mean, just look at the "Wonderland" covers and compare them to BtVS covers. It's like they don't give a shit any more, Willow's portrayed like a deity - symbolism, power and sex. Meanwhile, Buffy is just Buffy. Plot-wise, Willow seems to be actually doing things too. Not too shabby.

Buffy might understand why they do so, but you can' t be friends with the slayer without her risky lifestyle being a part of the friendship.
It's kinda sad isn't it? Also, toxic. Do you think that Buffy could truly change that?

Top Bottom