• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Willow and Xander

AstridDante

Potential
I absolutely adore the best friend ‘ship’ between Willow and Xander but I remember in earlier seasons where a romance was teased when they kissed (both while in other couples) but...I remember liking the romantic potential. I think it’s the best friends to lovers arc gets me. Anyone else like this potential pairing. I imagine I am on my own lol

Antho

Scooby
I’m one of those people who believe it was a terrible mistake that Xander and Willow get together in season 3. I think the friendship between them is enough. No need to have a relationship. Plus, honestly what was the purpose of that storyline ? Apart to create more drama by separating two couples that I was a fan.. and after the break up they don’t even talk about that anymore and there will be no ambiguity between them after that. Everything is normal, like it used to be. So in my opinion it was pointless.

SunnydaleGlitz

Potential
Sineya
I *love* their friendship, but the whole 'best friends to lovers' thing to me feels cloying, unless it's written in a surprising or plausible way. I was never rooting for them to hook up in S2's WSWB (that opening scene when he 'almost' kisses her.) Even if he had suppressed feelings for her and was oblivious to it, his Buffy crush seemed paramount and Willow was obviously pining for him so I don't think I would have enjoyed it 🤷‍♀️. I didn't love the Xander-Willow "mini affair" during S3 either, though it was sort of entertaining. But if there had to be a Xander-Willow ship, I'd have preferred hints of it very early on, like in the first few episodes of S1, that would have helped lay a foundation for it.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
...and Willow was obviously pining for him so I don't think I would have enjoyed it.
I think you hit the nail on the head of why I'm not a fan of the ship as being more than friends - exactly because Willow has been pining since the beginning, them getting together would feel way too much like 'her getting everything she's ever wanted' which is not something the Buffyverse ever did, and certainly not in that way. The very fact that she pined made me want her to move on and find someone else, someone who she didn't think hung the moon, but was more realistic about.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
You know, Buffy really is a Harem Anime for Xander. So, a childhood friend really needs to be in the mix for Baka Xander.

Top Bottom