• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Willow being Jewish

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Was Willow a good representation of a Jewish teenager?

As she becomes more involved in magic she talks about being Jewish less, but it's mentioned often in the first three seasons.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I don't think there is a representation of a Jewish teenager, as people practice it differently. That being said, I never really got the impression she was Jewish as you never saw anything that would make you think so, other than a few throwaway lines here and there.

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
I don't think Willow was really into being Jewish it's just that her parents were Jewish.

spikenbuffy

"Why can't I stay"
Staff member
I would have liked her being more jewish, if that wouldn't be against her being in love with Tara of course.

Taake

Keeper of the Continuum Transfunctioner
Staff member
Black Thorn
I feel her Jewishness was, kind of like religion in general on the show, very nominal. If pressed I imagine she was Reform, as she pretty free to follow her own conscience in regards to what was right or wrong practices (e.g. not celebrating Christmas seemed like a conscious choice) and her parents - except for the brief MOO experience with her mother - seemed very untroubled by her shift towards Wiccanism (she doesn't mention any averse reactions, though, of course, that may be because her parents essentially vanished)

This is a pretty interesting article
which argues that she started out as Orthodox and ended up more in the neighborhood of Kabbalah.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Yes and no. I don't think Willow was intended to represent the American experience for a late Generation X upper middle class Jewish American. Her parents were stereotyped stocked characters, they got a few jokes out of it. She also puts a stone on Tara's grave, as is custom. Any attachment to Judaism is either non-existent or reduced to anti-Christian sentiment. However, that may just be Jewish life in Southern California at the turn of the millennium. Parents are ethnically Jewish, attend temple on the High Holy Days, but the culture holds no claim on the children. Jews today are largely non- religious and highly intermarried, how would you protray that? So, this is my opinion. A Jewish character providing representation, sure, a Time capsule of what Jewish life was like in 2000? Not really, but with a qualified maybe.

Top Bottom