• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Willow in Superstar

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I've been thinking about it, and then I read through the transcript of the episode, and I realized something. It made me wonder if anyone else had seen it, too.

Willow doesn't do magic in Superstar. There's no way that's a coincidence, not in an episode where Jonathan - who is also adept at magic - has cast that type of spell. Whether he purposely meant to do it or not, it was done. He went to high school with her, I wonder if he didn't unconsciously do this because in his mind she'll always be the hacker from those years, not the witch she became later.

What do you guys think?

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
I could see that. Jonathan seems to think of Willow as she was in high school when they're being hunted by Dark Willow but I suppose that's more about her morality than her magic 🤷‍♀️

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Maybe Johnathan remembers Willow as the interrogator in "Earshot":

WILLOW Fantasies are fun, aren't they Jonathan?
JONATHAN Uh... I guess.
WILLOW We all have fantasies that we're powerful, more respected. Where people pay attention to us.
JONATHAN Uh... maybe.
WILLOW But sometimes the fantasy isn't enough, is it Jonathan? Sometimes we have to make it so people don't ignore us. Make them pay attention. You know what I'm talking about, don't you?
JONATHAN Em, you... Want me to pay attention?
Willow looks a little flustered.

and later on:

WILLOW Jonathan! Oh, I had him in my grasp. Slippery weasel.

Quotes are from: 03x18 - Earshot - Buffy the Vampire Slayer Transcripts - Forever Dreaming

Before that, in "Go Fish", she had interrogated Johnathan about the disappearance of some of the swim team:

Cut to Willow's classroom. Jonathon is sitting in a chair at the front of the room. Willow aims a reading lamp at him. The camera pans from it up to her face, determined to get what she wants out of him.
Willow: So, Jonathon. (crosses her arms) You tried out for the swim team twice and never made it?
Jonathon: (fidgets) I'm asthmatic. I couldn't keep up.
Willow: You resented it, didn't you?
Jonathon: Maybe.
Willow: (approaches him) You hated being pushed around by Dodd and the others.
Jonathon: So?
Willow: (walks around to his other side) So, you wanted revenge. Didn't you? (leans in suddenly) (sternly) Didn't you?!
Jonathon: (nervously) Yeah! Okay? I did!
Willow: (smiles and straightens back up) So... You delved into the black arts and conjured up a hellbeast from the ocean's depths to wreak your vengeance.
Jonathon: Huh?
Willow: Didn't you?
Jonathon: (confused) What? No! I snuck in yesterday and... peed in the pool.
Willow: (disappointed) Oh. (disgusted) Eww!
He looks down in shame.

Read more at: 02x20 - Go Fish - Buffy the Vampire Slayer Transcripts - Forever Dreaming

On both of these occasions, Willow had completely dominated Johnathan, who he never wanted to converse with again. He was afraid of her. I am not sure he was all that cognizant of Willow being a witch or having powers anywhere near his own. I am not sure Willow realized this was a spell that Johnathan had cast - she was caught up in the same Johnathan mania as everyone else and Johnathan had no reason to suspect she would ever challenge him on it.

Top Bottom