• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Willow & Xander should they be a couple

joseph

Tara & Willow Forever.
I liked Willow & Xander as a couple okay not as much as her & Tara but still like them better then the other relationships they got involved with except xander & anya but she a demon. love the first season jokes be my deputy.

Sineya
Willow identifies as gay. Xander is not female. This can never work. It often takes time for gays to realize they are gay and not straight and to go into straight relationship or marriages before proving to themselves that they are not straight. Elton John and Sally Ride are examples of this. In the first season, it was a very unequal relationship - Willow was pining away for Xander. Xander liked Willow as the sister he never had but had no romantic aspirations with her.

Black Thorn
Xander liked Willow as the sister he never had but had no romantic aspirations with her.
Maybe he had a preternatural ability to see into Willow's soul. As he was the "one that sees" that would really make a lot of sense. Maybe Xander knew from day one and it just took Willow time to see for herself.

The longer they went without being a couple the less likely it was to happen. Which is quite true to life. Its actually a nice little subversion. In most teen shows characters like that would have gotten together over time. I think Willow and Xander work better as friends.

nightshade

Hidden away in a cupboard under the stairs
Staff member
Black Thorn
No I think that even the season 3 flirting and kiss wasn't right, Xander hadn't really shown an interest in Willow that way, and she had moved on from her crush on him by then, so that kinda felt like a step back in their character progression.

Black Thorn
No I think that even the season 3 flirting and kiss wasn't right, Xander hadn't really shown an interest in Willow that way
Don't have to have interest in that way to flirt and kiss. I wouldn't say it wasn't right as much as you could tell it wasn't substantial. It was just play.

nightshade

Hidden away in a cupboard under the stairs
Staff member
Black Thorn
Don't have to have interest in that way to flirt and kiss. I wouldn't say it wasn't right as much as you could tell it wasn't substantial. It was just play.
Possibly, Willow had grown in confidence by then, season one Willow wouldn't have done that, Xander no doubt enjoyed that both Cordelia and Willow were paying him attention

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
They had to kiss at some point, not that it made me happy, but just because it made sense, with spending their whole lives together and Willow having feelings for Xander for so much of it. That said, I was happy they never dated. It was a failed experiment, and I'm happy they saw it that way too.

They had to kiss at some point, not that it made me happy, but just because it made sense, with spending their whole lives together and Willow having feelings for Xander for so much of it. That said, I was happy they never dated. It was a failed experiment, and I'm happy they saw it that way too.
I think when you've had a crush and relationship with someone for so long you're always going to have feelings for them that are beyond whether you identify as straight. gay or any of the very exciting things in between. I know it's not cannon as Willow is very definite that she's gay, but I always saw her as an intelligent woman who had read her Simone De Beauvoir and taken it to heart : "In itself, homosexuality is as limiting as heterosexuality: the ideal should be to be capable of loving a woman or a man; either, a human being, without feeling fear, restraint, or obligation."

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
I am very happy with what we got. I think their thing would lose its charm if they actually became a couple. It's like, I ship it, but I don't. I ship the non-ship.

joseph

Tara & Willow Forever.
Willow identifies as gay. Xander is not female. This can never work. It often takes time for gays to realize they are gay and not straight and to go into straight relationship or marriages before proving to themselves that they are not straight. Elton John and Sally Ride are examples of this. In the first season, it was a very unequal relationship - Willow was pining away for Xander. Xander liked Willow as the sister he never had but had no romantic aspirations with her.
remember what she said to oz when he was leaving I like Willow & Tara they r the best but she is dead so it would have to be Xander.

Last edited:

joseph

Tara & Willow Forever.
with tara gone would have Liked her to get with xander but still hate when he hurt willow by sleeping with faith remember how willow was crying at the end of the episode. like the artwork.